PDA

View Full Version : What will make nausea stop?

PunkyBoo
03-01-2012, 02:45 PM
I have a job interview this afternoon. I woke up at midnight running to the bathroom thinking I was going to throw up but I didn't. I was sweating and freezing but I didn't throw up. (I did go #2 and it was normal other than the nausea). It happened again after about 20 minutes, then I slept all night.

The nausea and gurgle-y stomach is still here. I don't know how much of it might be nerves about the interview vs. the stomach virus that is going around badly around here. I had ginger tea with my normal breakfast, but I feel queasy. What else can I do to keep the nausea at bay and get me through the rest of the day until my interview? I have some anti-nausea pills that were given to me when I had terrible food poisoning 2 years ago and landed in the urgent care hooked up to an IV - should I take one or will that have other side effects?? Please help!

SummerBaby
03-01-2012, 02:48 PM
Non-drowsy Dramamine has helped me in similar situations. Good luck!

boltfam
03-01-2012, 02:48 PM
I had food poisoning, too, and probably have the same anti-nausea pills you have. IIRC, they made me very tired. Is there any way you can re-schedule the interview for a day when you feel better? I would hate to go through an interview feeling under the weather like you are.

newg
03-01-2012, 02:50 PM
the nasea pills I have work wonders, but they make me very sleepy. I would check the label for side effects. I do take 1/2 pill when I'm not able to stay in bed and sleep, so maybe that would be an option for you.......but with the pills being 2yrs old, they are probably expired.

any chance you can go to an urgent care to get something? or have your family doc. call in a new perscription for you?

PunkyBoo
03-01-2012, 02:51 PM
Non-drowsy Dramamine has helped me in similar situations. Good luck!

I'm allergic to caffeine, so anything that says "non-drowsy" usually is not an option for me - the stuff they put in it to make it non-drowsy usually mimics caffeine in my system.

PunkyBoo
03-01-2012, 02:54 PM
I had food poisoning, too, and probably have the same anti-nausea pills you have. IIRC, they made me very tired. Is there any way you can re-schedule the interview for a day when you feel better? I would hate to go through an interview feeling under the weather like you are.

Unfortunately, they already postponed it from last week and I have child care arrangements set up for today (which was not an easy task). The nausea isn't so bad that I feel like I'm going to actually vomit, it's just bad enough to make me feel queasy and yucky (and - TMI alert - like I will have diarrhea even though I don't). I just want the tummy flip-flopping to settle...

SummerBaby
03-01-2012, 02:56 PM
It's actually a different medicine than regular Dramamine. There is no caffeine. It's called meclizine. It's also the ingredient in Bonine- another motion sickness remedy.

PunkyBoo
03-01-2012, 03:02 PM
It's actually a different medicine than regular Dramamine. There is no caffeine. It's called meclizine. It's also the ingredient in Bonine- another motion sickness remedy.

I'll have to go look into that. Thank you

peanut520
03-01-2012, 03:15 PM
honestly the pills you have from 2 years ago are probably fine as most meds are fine well past their expiration dates and usually they just start to lose there potency.

i have found mints and candied ginger help takes the edge off sometimes when i get nausea from migraines.

AnnieW625
03-01-2012, 03:55 PM
I'd take the anti nausea pills. Also you can get Emetrol or it's generic version at CVS (haven't seen a generic at Target)

mackmama
03-01-2012, 04:03 PM
I'd do candied ginger, saltine crackers, and 7up. I also think that once you're in your interview that you will be amped up and focused on it so probably won't be too aware of feeling yucky.

rlu
03-01-2012, 04:13 PM
Sour might help too, but not acidic. Maybe sour candy.

crl
03-01-2012, 04:33 PM
The smell of peppermint helps me sometimes.
Catherine

barkley1
03-01-2012, 07:26 PM
I had a friend once tell me that ibuprofen soothed her stomach for a case of the nerves. I haven't tried it tho.

crl
03-01-2012, 07:43 PM
I had a friend once tell me that ibuprofen soothed her stomach for a case of the nerves. I haven't tried it tho.

Wow. That stuff makes my stomach hurt for daaayyysss. I know most people don't have that problem, but I'm surprised it would help anyone.

Catherine

zag95
03-01-2012, 07:44 PM
Bonine- (Meclizine) works well
You might also try Vitamin B6- helps with morning sickness/nausea!

Hope job interview goes well.

fauve01
03-02-2012, 01:06 AM
For nasuea, we use Umeboshi plums. They're sort of naturally alkaline (sour/pickled) and help with the acidity in the stomach... or something... my aunt found out about them at her favorite Asian restaurant when she was pg and couldn't eat any of her regular favorites. the owner gave her some and she felt 100 times better. My sister uses them all the time for some medicine she needs to take regularly for her lupus. SHe eats them straight out of the package, but i guess you can make tea with them.

I found some at a health food store, or you can find them in Asian markets.

http://www.telefonica.net/web2/paramahamsa/umeboshi.htm

crl
03-02-2012, 01:07 AM
Hope the interview went well!

Catherine