PDA

View Full Version : Nursing tank tops with or without bra? also need recommendations

diamond
03-01-2012, 11:26 PM
Deciding to get some nursing tanks for my flight travel (got recommendations form my travel help thread). Can you ladies plz recommend some good nursing tanks, which would fit me and my budget? I am 5-5 and weigh 150lbs right now. how are these??--

http://www.diapers.com/p/majamas-organicxlong-original-nursing-top-49304

http://www.diapers.com/p/majamas-the-xlong-cozy-cami-113960

http://www.diapers.com/p/majamas-pachisi-49556

http://www.diapers.com/p/majamas-ella-top-24131

also do you wear a nursing bra under a nursing tank? if yes wont it be too tight / uncomfortable? if no, wont the nipples show up as headlights? specially when in airports travelling?

what do you ladies wear over a nursing tank to cover yourself modestly? can you link some pictures for me to get an idea? ty

BabbyO
03-01-2012, 11:52 PM
my favorite nursing tanks are from Target. They are the gillian o malley brand and usually run about $15-20.

I wear them without a bra. Nursing pads help keep the nipples from looking like headlights. Plus if you wear with a light cardigan/sweater you shouldn't notice anything.

http://www.target.com/p/Gilligan-OMalley-Womens-Full-Sling-Nursing-Tank-With-Lace-Navy/-/A-12250181

oh, I LOVE traveling with a pashmina/scarf. This is great on the plane if I get a little cool, works as a nursing coverup, hides any leaks, headlights, etc...

mikala
03-02-2012, 12:25 AM
The Bravado tanks were my favorite and were supportive without uniboob. I didn't have headlight issues with them. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000I21RNO

I also used the Target Gilligan ones for home and sleep but they weren't as supportive and didn't shape as well.

I just wore the nursing tank like a bra under any other shirt and pulled the top shirt up and the nursing tank flap down to nurse. You could also wear them under a cardigan.

curiousgeorge
03-02-2012, 12:31 AM
The Bravado tanks were my favorite and were supportive without uniboob. I didn't have headlight issues with them. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000I21RNO

I also used the Target Gilligan ones for home and sleep but they weren't as supportive and didn't shape as well.

I just wore the nursing tank like a bra under any other shirt and pulled the top shirt up and the nursing tank flap down to nurse. You could also wear them under a cardigan.

Totally agree! I LOVED the Bravado tanks. They are very supportive and look a little nicer when worn alone than the Target ones. I wore Bravado tanks "out" (ha ha...grocery store, etc.) and the Target Gilligan ones to bed and around the house also.

FYI, if you do get the Bravado ones, heed the directions and DO NOT put in the dryer. They will shrink in length for sure. Ask me how I know? The one day my DH decided to do laundry...

I wore the tanks with a nursing pad under a cardigan all the time. That was pretty much my nursing uniform for the first six months with each of my two boys.

ellies mom
03-02-2012, 01:42 AM
I loved the Target ones for night time use but I couldn't wear them out of the house. They didn't offer nearly enough support for me and they gave me a distinctly unattractive four boob look. I really wanted to try the Bravado one because I loved their bras but it ended up that a regular nursing bra and regular shirt met my daytime needs just fine so I skipped it (I was going to have to special order it and it didn't seem worth the hassle since I was doing fine without one).

Beth24
03-02-2012, 01:52 AM

Exactly this! Loved the Bravado tanks for daytime. Great support and comfort. And the target ones for nighttime/home use.

BabbyO
03-02-2012, 09:41 AM
I loved the Target ones for night time use but I couldn't wear them out of the house. They didn't offer nearly enough support for me and they gave me a distinctly unattractive four boob look. I really wanted to try the Bravado one because I loved their bras but it ended up that a regular nursing bra and regular shirt met my daytime needs just fine so I skipped it (I was going to have to special order it and it didn't seem worth the hassle since I was doing fine without one).

FWIW the Target ones have changed from their original style so they don't give you the uniboob typically.

For me they were enough support...but I'm rather small to begin with and only a 34 C when nursing.

ellies mom
03-02-2012, 09:55 AM
FWIW the Target ones have changed from their original style so they don't give you the uniboob typically.

For me they were enough support...but I'm rather small to begin with and only a 34 C when nursing.

The Target ones didn't give me a uni-boob look. They cut down the middle of each breast, dividing it in two. So it looked like I had four breasts in a row. But in its defense, I am a 34DD when I'm not breast feeding so I was really asking a lot of it. I can't wear the camis with built-in shelf bras either, except in that case I get the full on udder look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BabbyO
03-02-2012, 10:19 AM
The Target ones didn't give me a uni-boob look. They cut down the middle of each breast, dividing it in two. So it looked like I had four breasts in a row. But in its defense, I am a 34DD when I'm not breast feeding so I was really asking a lot of it. I can't wear the camis with built-in shelf bras either, except in that case I get the full on udder look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahh...I missed that. I have friends that didn't care for the older style ones that didn't have the fabric down the middle. They were more like a shelf bra and my friends complained of the uniboob!

I'm have little girls...so it really isn't a problem for me either way. I finally get up to the size of an "average american woman" when I'm nursing...Yay for BFing! :)

diamond
03-02-2012, 10:20 AM
Forgive my ignorance but what does uniboob lool mean? Looks like bravadoa are the favorite. Their sizes are so confusing. I wear a medium bravado body silk seamless bra and a 36b medele nursing bra. Any ideas what my tank size would be? Also 49$ for 1 tank is very expensive any deals out there? Ty

AnnieW625
03-02-2012, 10:39 AM
It all depends on how wide your back is. I am a 38a or b and I wore a large only because I have a broad back. I personally can't stand built in shelf bras so I never found a nursing tank I absolutely loved. With DD1 I basically lived in a Bravado nursing sports bra style bra, but with DD2 I loved these from Seamless non lace bralettes by Wacoal (http://www.wacoal-america.com/shop/bras/bralette/). If I was at home I just took my tee shirt or tank top off half or all of the way to feed and if we were out I was most likely wearing some sort of crossover top so I never felt like I missed the snaps that a traditional nursing bra had. Nursing pads fit into the bralettes with no problem.

wallawala
03-02-2012, 11:13 AM
I also rec the Bravado tank if you need support, but I'm a 34F right now (DD, when not nursing). I had one mamajamas one (the BabiesRUs version), that was nice, but not supportive. Gillian OMalley are really comfy, but not enough support for me to leave the house with.

If you go with bravado, amazon and target may run a deal if you keep your eye out. I buy all my nursing bras from www.breakoutbras.com as the seem to have the lowest prices in general. YMMV. All nursing stuff including bras are an extra 10% off their prices, which would put the Bravado tanks about $40. 10% off code is listed on thier website, and is always free shipping there.

I personally don't find most bras/tanks handle the headlight issue effectively for me, but the bravado at least has enough compression to mask the look of breast pads. My favorite "T-shirt" style nursing bra (ie completely smooth under shirts) is the Bravado Bliss. Pricey, but awesome. Its wireless and slightly padded to soak up minor leaks. I've worn mine with a regular cami over when I wanted belly coverage and I liked it more than the Bravado tank for nip coverage. However, if you absolutely, 100% have to be headlight free, the only thing that works 100% for me is Lilypads. Use them as an alternative to breast pads in any bra/tank. LOVE them!! They are 17.xx on amazon with FS/prime or 18.50 at breakout bras with FS.

JBaxter
03-02-2012, 11:16 AM

Mine to!!!

ellies mom
03-02-2012, 11:35 AM
Forgive my ignorance but what does uniboob lool mean? Looks like bravadoa are the favorite. Their sizes are so confusing. I wear a medium bravado body silk seamless bra and a 36b medele nursing bra. Any ideas what my tank size would be? Also 49$ for 1 tank is very expensive any deals out there? Ty

The uni-boob or also known as "mono boob". It is where both breasts are kind of mashed into a single large blob in the center of the chest. It tends to be more of a problem when you have larger breast and are trying to wear shelf bra styles such as those in most nursing tanks, camis and sports bras. In order to get anything resembling support you have to go pretty darn snug but then the girls are mashed together. Not really attractive or comfortable for that matter. And in the case of sports bras, it can be down right impossible to get in and out of. Thankfully sports bras have come a long ways and it looks like nursing tanks are starting to catch up.

twowhat?
03-02-2012, 11:54 AM
I second the Bravado and Target (Gilligan O'Malley) nursing tanks.

Highly recommend Bravado for great shape and support - these were what I wore out layered under a tee, sweater, cardi, or shirt. I only bought 2 since they're pricey. Got mine from breakoutbras.com. Worth every penny. Still wear mine to sleep in:)

Target for around the house and at night, and depending on what shirt I was wearing I could sometimes wear these underneath and not exacerbate the uniboob effect for errands, etc.

newg
03-02-2012, 11:55 PM
I was a 36 D/DD while nursing DD2 and I wore a Target nursing tank (side sling style I believe). I could wear the medium or the large. It was enough support for me...........now granted I wasn't working out/jumping around, but for daily use they were just fine.
I would wear a light cardigan like this: http://canvas.landsend.com/pp/the-heritage-cardigan~203167_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::CAM&CM_MERCH=IDX_sale-_-women-_-sweaters&origin=index or just a plain button up shirt.
I always wore nursing pads, so never had the head light issue.