PDA

View Full Version : How to make baseball t-shirt smaller

niccig
03-01-2012, 11:44 PM
DS got his baseball uniform today and the shirt is HUGE on him, it's nearly to his knees. I can hem it to make it shorter, but what about the width? He has to wear it tucked it and it looks ridiculous.

He of course burst into tears when he put it on at practice, as it looks like a dress.

Not all 7 year olds weigh 60lbs and are 60" tall.

larig
03-01-2012, 11:56 PM
take it in on the sides at the seams. Try this instructable. (http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-take-in-a-shirt/)

niccig
03-02-2012, 12:36 AM
I can try. I could stitch it, then he could try it on and see how it looks, before I cut it. There's a logo and number on the back, so those need to be visible.

He has a shirt that's the right size - a little big so has movement in arms for batting etc. I'll line this up with the baseball shirt to use as a template.

Thanks.

crl
03-02-2012, 12:50 AM
Is it cotton? Wash it first if it might shrink.

Catherine

kijip
03-02-2012, 01:08 AM
Is it cotton? Wash it first if it might shrink.

Catherine

Only in length, not so much in width.

I would resew it. And I agree, why can't they order more small shirts for the kids who prefer to wear something close to the size they actually are. I could have worn one of the shirts they gave me for Ts t-ball a couple years back. And that is saying something as I am neither short or waif like.

niccig
03-02-2012, 01:16 AM
Only in length, not so much in width.

I would resew it. And I agree, why can't they order more small shirts for the kids who prefer to wear something close to the size they actually are. I could have worn one of the shirts they gave me for Ts t-ball a couple years back. And that is saying something as I am neither short or waif like.

They didn't order enough large shirts and pants. The age range on the team is 7-9 years old. And the kids are all sizes.

I'll have to resew. The shirts are being printed with their names, and we can't wash before then, and afterwards it can't be washed on hot. So I'll pull out the sewing machine.

kijip
03-02-2012, 01:21 AM
They didn't order enough large shirts and pants. The age range on the team is 7-9 years old. And the kids are all sizes.

I'll have to resew. The shirts are being printed with their names, and we can't wash before then, and afterwards it can't be washed on hot. So I'll pull out the sewing machine.

On T team there was 1 kid who needed a large shirt. They ordered a few mediums and the rest larges. They did the same for all teams, even the 4th and 5th graders. 5-6 year olds generally are somewhat smaller than their 9-11 year old counterparts. And the large was frankly even too big for the largest boy. When I was done fixing Ts shirt, I could have fashioned a couple of more small shirts. :D

larig
03-02-2012, 01:22 AM
definitely wash first. I launder all fabric before I cut and sew it when I'm sewing something from scratch.

niccig
03-02-2012, 01:27 AM
definitely wash first. I launder all fabric before I cut and sew it when I'm sewing something from scratch.

I'll wash it. I just can't do anything to it until DS's name is put on it. It means he has to wear it as it for the Opening Ceremony, as his name won't go on it until next week.

I'll then resew. At least he was given small pants.

His AYSO uniform has been the same. The shorts are way past his knees, it looks like a skirt.