PDA

View Full Version : those of you who have cut down, how many pairs of pants do you have?

eagle
03-02-2012, 03:52 AM
i havent done anything yet... but im thinking about it.

if you are someone who knows how many pairs of pants you have, do share! and while youre at it, shirts, skirts, etc etc...

im not obsessed with a minimalist life and dont hang out in minimalist boards or read any blogs regularly which is why im posting here. just thought id ask since im here anyway and yall are the people i relate with the most.

now what other people (who probably dont have kids) do:

http://bit.ly/yCoLs4: 25 pairs of pants. hmm. the "everydayminimalist" set 25 as the maximum. elsewhere on her blog (the faq) she says she has 6 pairs of Work Pants and 3 pairs of Casual Pants.

http://bit.ly/zpFTcA: this guy has one pair of jeans and two pairs of shorts.

http://bit.ly/z1pyPC: 6 pairs of pants, 2 pairs of jeans, 4 pairs of shorts. but ideally, it would be 1 pair denim shorts, 1 pair denim skinny jeans, 1 pair black slacks.

okay. maybe no one here is interested in this topic. but i thought i might ask in the lounge anyway.

me? i havent counted yet. maybe 8? 9? dont know. i think i do want to pare it down to like 4. it would feel like a bold move if i got rid of half my pants. or even more. but in reality i probably wont even miss them...

lizzywednesday
03-02-2012, 09:34 AM
I'm a clothing minimalist mostly because (1) I have no use for a more "professional" wardrobe; (2) I am cheap when it comes to myself and (3) shopping usually makes me cry.

I have three pairs of jeans. They don't fit properly (too baggy) so I'll have to get another 3 pair soon.

Beyond that, I have workout pants (4 pairs of yoga pants, 4 pairs of workout crops, 2 pairs of bike shorts) and skirts/skorts. I try really hard not to wear the workout pants when I'm not working out, but it's tough sometimes.

I also have 1 pair of suit pants, but I don't use them at all.

wallawala
03-02-2012, 10:50 AM
I'm in the process of switching out of my maternity wardrobe and back to regular clothes. So, this is the one time I actually do know how many pants I have as I just pulled them out of storage and they are currently strewn all over the couch...

21 pairs of dress pants for work- a few will be culled as they're getting "too worn out", and 1 pair fits ok, but really is a size to small, bought on smoking deal at GAP because I really AM going to lose 20lbs this time, and I can't resist basic black work pants for $7. I define work pants as suit or dressy separates. I can't wear chinos or jeans at work. And I don't wear my "work pants" otherwise unless a professional event or church.

5 pairs of jeans- 2 "good" pair (my beloved Joes) that are a wee bit big now (!!), 2 skinny jeans I just bought from ON, and one bootcut from ON to get me through the weightloss period.

2 pair chinos- tan and olive

Workout/sweats- not going to count, many need to be culled as over 10yrs old and saggy. Plan was to buy a few new ones as "rewards" for working out consistently

Shorts- I don't count these as "pants" but 3 short, and 3 longer pair in chino material (GAP)

It sounds like a lot, so clearly I"m not a minimalist. I like the concept, and really would consider trying it, but I'm at heart a "shoportunist"- and can't pass up a great deal on something that fits well. Or I forget I already have XX until I've bought the replacement.

If you're interested, I'll count the shirts (that was today's "wardrobe homework assignment" anyway). I own no skirts. None. Hate the way they make me feel.

My materinity wardrobe was more limited - 7 pairs of work pants, and 2 pairs of kick ass jeans. I could wear my non-maternity sweats.

nupe
03-02-2012, 11:05 AM
Last winter I had lost weight and all my "old" pants were the wrong cut/too short etc. All of the pants I'd been wearing the last few years were way too big. So for work I had zero work pants. For home I had one pair of skinny style jeans and one pair of cords. Now I hadn't discarded the old pairs because of potential weight fluctuations, and 5 lbs for me can be two sizes on pants!!

I have a ton of work out short pants and long pants, but I dont' know if you count them too.

THis year, I've gone and bought several of pants at the correct smaller size, and longer in length to wear with heels, mostly because of this board and Anthro, I bought cords I can wear on weekend and to work. So at least 5-6.

ETA I wore SKIRTS to work last year. With tights and boots of course. That is still my main work outfit base.

meggie t
03-02-2012, 12:49 PM
I don't work outside the home anymore, so that cut down my wardrobe. Right now in rotation, I have 4 pair of jeans and 1 pair of black dress pants. Now, as for pants that don't fit yet that I hope to get into so I am holding on to them, I have 4 pair of dress pants and 4 pair of jeans. And in about 6 months, when I do my next purge, all the ones that don't fit will go to Goodwill.

hillview
03-02-2012, 01:25 PM
Pants that fit me? NOT including workout clothes

4 pair of jeans
2 pair of lululemon pants
4 pair of suit pants

That's about it.
Mainly work clothes:
6 Skirts
12 dresses