PDA

View Full Version : I already graduated Kindergarten

dogmom
03-02-2012, 08:48 AM
So I resent doing things like a kindergarten student. Like color coordinating snacks for the rainbow week. Who do you think needs to go out to the store to buy the snacks? I KNOW my colors. Or find the right coloring clothing for the myriad of spirit days. Or come up with something for "crazy hair day" or "crazy hat day" or, you get the idea. Here's a couple of suggestion. (1) Why don't you cut back on the theme days. (2) Why don't you get the kids involved and interested so there is a small chance I might find out from them and not the paper stuck to the inside of the message tube for days right before "X-Y-Z Day". (3) If you get the kids involved instead of me my kids might actually want to do it. That way I don't have to get FB posts about other mothers in town complaining how THEY are all into school spirit and isn't it sad other parents aren't. I spend quality time with them. I volunteer at school when I have time with a FT, physical exhausting job. We do homework, they are doing well at school. We have other activities. I DO NOT want to run out and buy color coated snacks after I get home from a 12 hours shift, or do laundry for the right color shirt, I want to get into my PJ. ARRGHHH!

hellokitty
03-02-2012, 09:33 AM
It's been very interesting to DH and I how involved parents are expected to be in school activities, when parents are busier than ever (lot more households without a SAHP). We always talk about how our parents would NEVER had survived as parents if they had the same expectations of parents now for our parents. I basically remember that each classroom had a room mother who was like a super mom and SHE did everything. She didn't have to coordinate other parents to help out with stuff. There were no class gifts to the teacher, if you wanted to give a gift, you gave one on your own. Plus, what is up with the excessive parties and I don't remember EVERY kid having to bring cupcakes to school on their bday. Our parents never did that.

belovedgandp
03-02-2012, 09:37 AM
When my oldest was in K I swear he had pajama day every week. Now I'm sure they say how hard can that be? But seriously, it was all the time and many times with little notice. We only have about two pairs of matching PJs and those get swapped around. So yes, I'm doing laundry to get presentable PJs to send my kid to school in.

So, yes, I feel your pain.

mytwosons
03-02-2012, 09:56 AM
Sing it sister!

crl
03-02-2012, 09:57 AM
I agree with you. Thankfully our grade school doesn't do the color days. But a nearby one does and a neighbor is often asking me if we have x color shirt she can borrow so she doesn't have to search madly in January for a pink shirt for her six year old boy. Jeesh. I really feel for the low income students there, I am sure there are kids whose parents have NO time and NO money for this nonsense.

Catherine

SkyrMommy
03-02-2012, 10:31 AM
Sometimes we teachers get very, very tired of theme days as well. When I taught our new principal wanted to show how full of school spirit he was and pushed the PTA and event committee to have days all.the.time!!! It actually got beyond ridiculous!

I agree with OP, pick a few really special days and get the kids excited!

twowhat?
03-02-2012, 01:55 PM
ITA!!!! And my girls aren't even in real school yet...just preschool and yet I find myself having to do preschool homework! I don't even have time to cook dinner on the weekdays!

pastrygirl
03-02-2012, 03:57 PM
Ugh, yes.

Today is "crazy hair" day. Huh? My 5-year-old was not sure he wanted crazy hair, so he chose to wear his Dino Haven hat instead. Still, all these themes and related work for those themes, are crazy.

niccig
03-02-2012, 05:26 PM
And then kids feel left out if they/parents have forgotten about the "special day".

We sent DS in his football jersey last Friday thinking it was Sport Day (wear your favourite team colours). It's today - and thankfully we remembered again.

Not everyone at DS's school wears things for whatever day it is - and we don't have too many - crazy hat, sport day, st patricks day, wacky day.

dogmom
03-02-2012, 06:58 PM
Thank you all, I was wondering if I was the only one that felt this way. I'm old, so we never did this stuff growing up until I was in Middle School. Come to think of it, I blame Xerox. Without copiers we would still me making mimeographs (now I am dating myself) and I don't see the teachers doing mimeographs for silly days. In middle school there were posters and we, the students, had to remember. Nothing sent home. Think of the trees saved.

kijip
03-03-2012, 03:18 PM
Thank you all, I was wondering if I was the only one that felt this way. I'm old, so we never did this stuff growing up until I was in Middle School. Come to think of it, I blame Xerox. Without copiers we would still me making mimeographs (now I am dating myself) and I don't see the teachers doing mimeographs for silly days. In middle school there were posters and we, the students, had to remember. Nothing sent home.

I think you're onto something here. :rotflmao:

mjs64
03-03-2012, 04:13 PM
I'm with you here too--they do this at my DS's daycare, and he's only 13 mo old! So he definitely isn't into it. It's on me to find the red shirt or the crazy socks. Silliness. I guess I'm preparing for kindergarten.

MamaMolly
03-03-2012, 05:33 PM
We are in a similar boat, and it is driving me nuts. Our 'problem' is Pre-K homework. About every 2 weeks we have a project. I really want her to do the work, but also to have something remotely decent to turn in.

So I do a lot of behind the scenes prep work to set her up for success. It takes FOREVER and stresses me out. UGH.

Uno-Mom
03-03-2012, 06:47 PM
I'm just imagining classroom behavior on the day all the kids eat snacks coated in red dye.

Sprog's daycare had red frosting'ed cupcakes on V-Day. I joked about that with the teacher and she hadn't heard about food dye reactions. Her response was: "oooooh...THAT explains a few things!"

Drag0nflygirl
03-03-2012, 09:53 PM
Thank you all, I was wondering if I was the only one that felt this way. I'm old, so we never did this stuff growing up until I was in Middle School. Come to think of it, I blame Xerox. Without copiers we would still me making mimeographs (now I am dating myself) and I don't see the teachers doing mimeographs for silly days. In middle school there were posters and we, the students, had to remember. Nothing sent home. Think of the trees saved.

Our children will never know that "fresh ditto" smell! :shake:

Tinochka
03-03-2012, 11:04 PM
I was thinking that it’s only me reacting into all these paper giving to me almost every time you are going to somewhere...
We just started preschool and I commented that this is only preschool, I just don’t want even to know, what how things are going to be for me (or let’s face, me) in future. We had a special notebook at school, where teachers grade you and YOU have to right down the schedule and HW task and it was MY responsibility to make sure that I have everything ready for next day...
And yes, every time I receive a bundle of paper, I think about TREES.

Puddy73
03-03-2012, 11:17 PM
Thank you for posting this so that I don't feel like such a slacker mom! With two DC in different schools it seems like every day involves a theme or a project and I'm always scrambling. I especially hate the requests to "send a family photo tomorrow" or "send a picture of your child's favorite X." I seldom have photo prints and I don't have a color printer.

crl
03-04-2012, 12:35 AM
Thank you for posting this so that I don't feel like such a slacker mom! With two DC in different schools it seems like every day involves a theme or a project and I'm always scrambling. I especially hate the requests to "send a family photo tomorrow" or "send a picture of your child's favorite X." I seldom have photo prints and I don't have a color printer.

Oh yeah. I hate the photo requests on short notice. Our pictures are mostly just digital or in photo books. I need a few days notice so I can order prints.
Catherine

stefani
03-04-2012, 02:31 AM
Ugh, I would be going nuts if DS's school is like that. Right now DS participates when I feel like participating. He simply does not wear pajamas to school, nor college shirts, sports team shirts. If he doesn't already own it, forget it. Colored snacks will be a no no for me. He just gets whatever snacks DH (who does the grocery shopping) gets.