PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Reader

hellokitty
03-02-2012, 10:56 AM
Dear Weekly Reader and my sons' primary school,

I will NOT fill in names and addresses of friends and family, so you can try to harass them into buying a subscription to the WR. Worse yet, I do NOT appreciate the guilt ridden letter you send home to parents to try to manipulate into selling out names and addresses of loved ones. I also don't appreciate you brainwashing my kids into pressuring us to do this, in order to get some dumb prize.

Sincerely,

Hello Kitty

For those who don't know what the Weekly Reader is, it's like a two sheet, "magazine" flier that the kids read at school each wk, with some articles, short blurbs and a few worksheet type of activities on it. I don't really feel like it is anything special. They bring it home after going through it at school and it gets thrown in the trash. Every yr we get this guilt pushing letter with a stack of postcards to fill out (and send back to school), and they tell the kids that they get a, "prize" if they bring back post cards that are filled in with names and addresses (and they don't want duplicates if you have more than one kid in the school), so they can get loved ones to provide a subscription! Every yr, my kids start whining about how they won't get a prize if I don't fill in the postcards (as well as with every other fundraiser). The entire thing gets thrown into the trash as soon as I get this, I swear you can see flames in my eyes when I see my kids pulling this junk out of their folders. I really don't understand how the school, who asks for a levy EVERY chance they get, in a community that has been economically devastated from this recession. We are still going down (probably lost at least 18,000 ppl in the past few yrs who have moved elsewhere due to no jobs) and not recovering. House sales have started to recover in the rest of the state, but not in our community, where housing prices continue to drop. I don't understand why it is that the schools don't get that parents are sick and tired of this crap.