PDA

View Full Version : Do you like Parenting Early Years?

Mopey
03-02-2012, 11:56 AM
I got an offer for this mag, and although I've looked in a few places to find an issue to check out first I've had no luck.

Do any of you read this mag? Would you recommend it for a FTM like me? I've only seen a couple of copies of Pregnancy & Newborn so my knowledge of baby/parenting mags is pretty much nil.

Would love to hear opinions. TIA :)

lizzywednesday
03-02-2012, 12:27 PM
It's kind of "meh" in my opinion ... I wouldn't pay for it.

I think I got a mini-subscription as part of baby gear because I remember getting issues for DD's first year, but I really didn't get a lot out of it.

I rely on my pediatrician's office's well-visit PDF sheets for basic development information and ask the BBB mamas & dads for parenting advice when I don't feel like I can go to my parents (we don't see eye-to-eye on a lot of things) so it was kind of useless to me.

Trigglet
03-02-2012, 12:37 PM
Yeah, don't bother. It's just a glorified advertising pamphlet - very occasional, predictable articles on areas of interest, but rarely covering topics of interest to the attachment-parenting crowd (which is me!). I would high recommend Brain, Child magazine - much more thoughtful, intelligent actual discussion rather than articles like 'How to dress your child like a famous person's child but for less money', or whatever :ROTFLMAO:

There's nothing quite like Mothering magazine at the moment - so sad that it stopped being published.

lizzywednesday
03-02-2012, 01:14 PM
Yeah, don't bother. It's just a glorified advertising pamphlet - very occasional, predictable articles on areas of interest, but rarely covering topics of interest to the attachment-parenting crowd (which is me!). I would high recommend Brain, Child magazine - much more thoughtful, intelligent actual discussion rather than articles like 'How to dress your child like a famous person's child but for less money', or whatever :ROTFLMAO:

There's nothing quite like Mothering magazine at the moment - so sad that it stopped being published.

I thought Mothering had continued itself online, or am I confused?

AnnieW625
03-02-2012, 01:21 PM
Mothering is still online.

I just got one of the new Parenting mags the other day I think it was Parenting Early Years, but I haven't read it yet. Call me shallow or whatever but I actually kind of like those mags that have fashion tips for kids or good play toys for kids. I have gotten some nice recs. for stuff thanks to those magazines. The articles drive me nuts because they are soo poorly written, but I have gotten some good products from them. I have never read Brain, Child magazine. Mothering was something I read at the library when DD1 was playing in the play area. It was a little out there for me :bag, but did have some good points

Trigglet
03-02-2012, 01:22 PM
I thought Mothering had continued itself online, or am I confused?

It doesn't actually publish a digital edition of the magazine, it just exists as a website and a series of discussion boards - which obviously are useful and a great resource, but there's something about a regularly published magazine (either print or digital) that I miss. Perhaps I'm just too old-school! I know the future of hard-copy periodicals is not bright, but I kind of miss flipping through a really good magazine/journal etc. *sigh*

Trigglet
03-02-2012, 01:24 PM
Mothering is still online.

I just got one of the new Parenting mags the other day I think it was Parenting Early Years, but I haven't read it yet. Call me shallow or whatever but I actually kind of like those mags that have fashion tips for kids or good play toys for kids. I have gotten some nice recs. for stuff thanks to those magazines. The articles drive me nuts because they are soo poorly written, but I have gotten some good products from them. I have never read Brain, Child magazine. Mothering was something I read at the library when DD1 was playing in the play area. It was a little out there for me :bag, but did have some good points

Oh no, don't get me wrong - I'm just as concerned with what DS wears as the next person! - I don't think that's shallow - I just really can't abide the poor quality journalism and the thinly veiled advertising even in things that are supposed to be articles!

AnnieW625
03-02-2012, 01:24 PM
............Perhaps I'm just too old-school! I know the future of hard-copy periodicals is not bright, but I kind of miss flipping through a really good magazine/journal etc. *sigh*

Add me to that list. I still don't own or have a desire to get an ereader. Books, and mags are cheaper too if you fall asleep and they drop on the floor (which happens to me a lot!)

Trigglet
03-02-2012, 01:25 PM
Books, and mags are cheaper too if you fall asleep and they drop on the floor (which happens to me a lot!)

Oh yeah, I do that all.the.time!! :ROTFLMAO:

daisymommy
03-02-2012, 01:33 PM
Well, for a mainstream parenting magazine I think it's decent. That and Parents magazine. But I only get them because the have dirt cheap subscription rates. Like $7 for 3 years! Alot of the articles are too mainstream for my taste (I cried the day they discontinued Mothering magazine! ;)). But still, good toy/gear reviews, feeding stuff, basic articles, recipes, and "fluff" for your brain when you want to just peruse a magazine and not think too hard. I think for first time moms the articles can be very informational.

candaceb
03-02-2012, 02:06 PM
I agree with daisymommy. You can usually get a subscription either free or something like $5 for 2 years. I wouldn't pay more than $5/year. If nothing else, I get my value out of the Gymbo coupons and occasional other coupons I find in it. It's not great reading, but it's a good magazine to flip through and pull out a couple of craft or decorating ideas from.

Mommy_Mea
03-02-2012, 02:10 PM
Eh, I only read it if there is nothing else in the house. I subscribed to that and Parents during the Amazon coupon craziness, and now continue on for the Gymbo coupons :) And I paid so little they pay for themselves in just one trip!

Mopey
03-02-2012, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the reviews everyone!

I could see liking a little fluff and product info (for babies and moms), and the offer is 3 years for $12 - is that good enough?

edurnemk
03-02-2012, 05:48 PM
I liked it better before they divided into "Early Years" and "School Years". I used to get it because I got an offer of 3 free issues (back when it was just Parenting) and then something like 2 years for $20. I didn't renew my subscription las year because I was disappointed by the new format and I found the articles not to be in-depth enough for me, I hardly ever learned anything new from it.

So I think it's OK, but not great and I personally wouldn't bother.

daisymommy
03-02-2012, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the reviews everyone!

I could see liking a little fluff and product info (for babies and moms), and the offer is 3 years for $12 - is that good enough?

Nah, you can do better than that. I seriously only end up paying like $2 a year.
Let me see what I can find for you.

Edited to add:
Here's 2 years for $10, and if you sign up for emails, they send you a $5 off coupon code like every.single.week. I'm sure I'll get one any day now, and I can PM you the coupon code if you like. That would make it $5 for 2 years, or $2.50 a year.
http://www.magazines.com/product/parenting-early-years

Melaine
03-02-2012, 07:31 PM
Out of those type mags....the only one I have really liked enough to pay for is Family Fun.

wellyes
03-02-2012, 08:45 PM
Out of those type mags....the only one I have really liked enough to pay for is Family Fun.
I agree, Family Fun is the best.

Parenting Early Years is not bad for fluff. I don't get anything out of it, but I did very early on.... especially good as a quick glimpse of what's coming next. Less than $5 year, sure.