PDA

View Full Version : what was the one thing you did that really helped you lose weight?

AnnieW625
03-02-2012, 01:15 PM
I am in a rut and have been for pretty much the last 18 months since I stopped losing weight after I had DD2. I am going to Weight Watchers tomorrow morning for the first time in almost a year, but I think I need something else to kick start the weight loss so what has worked for you? I wish I could do just MFP, but I do need more accountability and in the past pre kids I really got that from WW.

I think I am really going to try and do wheat free, but am also contemplating going dairy free. I have zero interest in doing South Beach because I find it confusing, Atkins is much more user friendly and easier to do with less meal planning.

hillview
03-02-2012, 01:28 PM
Can it be 3 things?
last summer I
walked an hour almost every day
weighed all my food and put it in MFP
focused on protein

/hillary

Green_Tea
03-02-2012, 01:35 PM
For me:

No carbs that weren't fruits or veggies - so no bread, pasta, cookies, crackers, granola, oatmeal, cereals, cake, etc.

Lots of protein

No alcohol during the week, 1 glass of win on Sat and/or Sun (I actually CAN drink and still lose weight, but when I have wine, I want to snack.)

I never gave up dairy. If I gave up dairy and carbs at the same time, I think I might need to be committed :ROTFLMAO:.

arivecchi
03-02-2012, 01:38 PM
More protein
More exercise (an hour)
log all my foods in MFP and stick pretty close to the calorie limit (I was eating too little at first and not losing weight)

BabbyO
03-02-2012, 02:18 PM
Well, the only time I lost a significant amount of weight was when I cut dairy & soy because I was BFing DS1 who has FA's to dairy & soy.

DS2 is intolerant of dairy but OK with soy. I've only cut dairy out and not lost nearly as much weight.

I think that if you can cut soy out of your diet (even soy oil & soy lecithin) you are likely to loose a lot of weight. I found by cutting out soy, I was cutting out a lot of prepared and highly processed foods. This forced us to make more of our own food...but we also controlled what was put into our food. I'm certain that I consumed less sugar & carbs by cutting soy.

I also make it a point to walk everyday during my lunch break.

FWIW DH lost over 50 lbs using WW and has kept at least 40 lbs off for more than 2 years.

lizzywednesday
03-02-2012, 02:41 PM
The last time I was under 200lbs, I'd gone vegetarian and was walking up hills and stairs every day, with an occasional bike ride thrown in for good measure.

I'd love to go vegetarian again; it really seems to work very well for me, but DH is a meat-and-potatoes kind of a guy and I'm not a short-order cook, so we have to work together for meal-planning.

Also, I felt better if I had a consistent workout schedule, like the one I had before I got married - I'd joined a gym that had group classes, several of which I really liked (including one that combined small freeweights, step aerobics and yoga moves) and a pool. On non-class days, I'd swim laps for up to 45 minutes.

I kept the gym bag in my car on my front seat so I'd have it in my head that I was going to the gym after work, and the gym was immediately on my way home from the office, so I had two reminders before the turn to go home came up.

I miss that gym!

infomama
03-02-2012, 02:47 PM
Stopped eating refined sugar. Lost weight and got tons of energy.
It was torture in the beginning but got easier. I'm off the wagon now but every time I want to fall asleep in the middle of the day I remember that time and kick myself for starting to eat sugar again

lowrioh
03-02-2012, 02:53 PM
I just lost 20 pounds. I did WW but I wasn't as strict about tracking as I should have been. I did a couple of things.

1) Egg Beaters for breakfast....EVERY morning. They are very low points and keep me satisfied for a long, long time. Sometimes I threw some low fat cheese on top but mostly not. Two minutes in the microwave and d.o.n.e.

2) No alcohol during the week.

3) No specialty coffee's. As much as I loved my Peppermint Mocha, the calories added up quick. I did buy some Coffee Mate flavored creamer and used that instead.

4)Cut way back on bread....which led to completely cutting out peanut butter :)

Good Luck! I know that getting motivated is one of the hardest parts of the journey.

LexyLou
03-02-2012, 02:58 PM
Carbs...no carbs.

I hate counting calories. It makes me obsessive and then I go hardcore and then totally lose it and binge.

I just cut the carbs and try to eat sensibly.

Depending on how hard core I'm going, I might even cut the fruit for 1-2 weeks to jump start it and then I'll add some fruit back but no breads, pastas, rices.

If I have a hard workout, I'll have a sweet potato.

Globetrotter
03-02-2012, 03:05 PM
I've always eaten healthy meals with low sodium and fat, but I'm a snacker, so I cut back severely on junky snacks and switched to greek yogurt with honey and almonds with some dark chocolate chips when I needed a snack.

slicing my bread thin - I have an avocado sandwich almost daily with a little parmesan. I've always done light cheese on pizza, egg white omelettes, etc...

cutting back, but there is no way I can cut out carbs or sugar. I would go nuts :)

And, of course, exercise! I work out twice a week with weights and cardio.

♥ms.pacman♥
03-02-2012, 03:10 PM
i lost 8 lbs or so doing gluten free diet. i think the thing that helps is that a lot of fast food/processed foods are out. i have not eaten fast food in over a month. DH lost 10 lbs in the first 2 weeks, and he really struggles with weight loss.

khalloc
03-02-2012, 04:31 PM
I lost 10 pounds in about 5 days doing the Dukan Diet (lean meat only). But really how long can you keep that up? Its supposed to be a jump start of only lean protein. After that you switch days with lean protein ONLY and then a day with lean protein & most vegetables (there are some that are no-nos). After like 90 days of that you can add in starches. I didnt stick with it. And I suppose that was all water weight anyways.

zukeypur
03-02-2012, 04:37 PM
C25k worked for me

Meatball Mommie
03-02-2012, 06:15 PM
Another vote for no carbs. I did South Beach and lost 15 lbs. this past summer. Sadly, I've kind of fallen off eating low carb (lack of time and planning) and have gained about half that back :(

No alcohol also helped a lot. Partly because of calories and partly because I tend to snack when drinking...

Sillygirl
03-02-2012, 06:25 PM
I just hit a milestone of fifty pounds lost yesterday! I cut out all sugar and grains and keep my carbs (from veggies, berries and yogurt) to under 30g daily. It's taken about eight months and I have another 17 lbs to go but low carb is the only thing that I've been able to sustain. I eat plenty of healthy fats and am never hungry. My annual checkup last month was excellent too.

mjs64
03-02-2012, 06:36 PM
Strength training. Lunges, pushups, heavy weights, twice a week.

scriptkitten
03-02-2012, 07:18 PM
Mfp, measuring portions and counting calories

SoloMelody
03-03-2012, 05:18 AM
Cut carbs that were not fruit or veggies...automatically translated to healthy snacks which was where I was eating way too much processed carb loaded stuff.

Boot camp once a week and 10-15 mins run couple of times a week.

infomama
03-03-2012, 01:22 PM
No alcohol during the week

This is one I just implemented.
Between the seasonal beers and stressed out winter I know this led to some additional unwanted lbs.

BigDog
03-03-2012, 02:19 PM
C25k worked for me

:yeahthat:
C25k was awesome. It was fun, made me challenge myself, made me want to keep going, and, as a bonus, made me lose a few pant sizes. I loved c25k.

Globetrotter
03-04-2012, 02:57 AM
I just hit a milestone of fifty pounds lost yesterday! I cut out all sugar and grains and keep my carbs (from veggies, berries and yogurt) to under 30g daily. It's taken about eight months and I have another 17 lbs to go but low carb is the only thing that I've been able to sustain. I eat plenty of healthy fats and am never hungry. My annual checkup last month was excellent too.

:cheerleader1: You go, girl!!

goldenpig
03-04-2012, 03:21 AM
I'm not dieting, but here are some of the things that have helped me lost all the baby weight both times.

I've been breastfeeding constantly for the past 4.5 years.
I got a Penguin sodastream and started drinking carbonated water instead of sodas.
I had to go dairy free because DS was allergic and I'm still breastfeeding him. That eliminated a lot of sugar because most cakes, cookies, and desserts have butter or milk in them. I eat the non-dairy soy ice cream and vegan cupcakes though so it doesn't always help!

DH has lost the most weight through going low-carb. I can't do dairy-free and low carb though, I think I'd go nuts.

goldenpig
03-04-2012, 03:22 AM

Congrats! Way to go! :cheerleader1:

DrSally
03-04-2012, 10:29 PM
Wow! WTG, Sillygirl!
I try to focus on more protein, less starches. I don't count veggies as carbs, and I don't mind a little fat, it keeps me satiated. Esp. Eggs! Love eggs, and they keep me really full. Sometimes, i'll cook some eggbeaters, them in a corn tortilla with a little cheese, some ham, and a bunch of arugula. Pretty filling. Tonight, I had a piece of fish and a bunch of veggies.

Portion control is really key for me, amd not eating off the kid's plates.

kozachka
03-05-2012, 11:09 PM
Regular exercise. I lost a little bit more than a pound per month (on average) since starting Taekwondo 11 months ago. I do 35-45 minutes 2 times a week of a fairly intensive exercise with a lot of varity from week to week and it does not feel like exercise. I bring DS to these classes anyway, so have no execuse to skip unless I am truly feeling horrible. I prepaid for 12 months to get 15% discount, which has been a good forcing function, too.

When DH is out of town, which is every other month, I walk DS to school, don't drink much less wine and eat less. He is a very good cook so I tend to overeat and have more excuses for wine. I've gained back almost 5 pounds since he got back a month ago, so it's quite a bit of difference. Otherwise my weight loss in the last year would have been more like 15-16 pounds.

kaitlyns.mom
03-06-2012, 12:50 AM
Going dairy- and soy-free did it for me.

speo
03-07-2012, 12:17 AM
Portion control and running.

I started exercising 6 days/week with a min of 45 min/workout. I started walking, then added running, and I am now running 7 miles on my long run. Running has been wonderful. I was already a relatively healthy eater, but I ate too much. So with all of the exercise I cut back my calories a little - but the main thing was really to not increase them (even though the exercise makes me hungrier).

I have since plateaued the last 2 months and now I think I need to reduce carbs for about 2 months to burn off the last 7-8 lbs I want to lose. That or cut down on some running mileage.

boltfam
03-07-2012, 12:31 AM
Going dairy-free did it for me when I was BFing DD, who had a dairy sensitivity/intolerance. I also tried (and still do) try to avoid soy b/c I don't get along with it very well. As PPs mentioned, cutting out dairy and soy cuts out A LOT of processed foods and desserts.

AshleyAnn
03-07-2012, 12:39 AM
I had a coworker get involved with my diet. It really helps to have someone ask me "what did you eat today" and remind me I havent been to the gym in 4 days. Its harder to quit when you have someone holding you accountable and help you make smarter decisions.

It also really helped to start shopping as I lost weight and enjoy my new body. The better I felt the harder I worked.

I'm lactose intolerant so I'm dairy free. I also eat very very little meat. Carbs and soda are my weakness though.

hellokitty
03-07-2012, 11:42 AM
I understand how difficult this can be. I struggle with the same issue. I lost some wt last yr and found a few tactics that helped.

My fitness pal or some other way of charting your daily intake helps you to realize how much you are eating and also to keep yourself accountable.

Working out 5-6x a wk. Yes, you read that correctly. I cannot lose wt by merely working out 3x a wk like, "normal" ppl. The only way I can lose wt is by only giving myself one, sometimes two days off during a wk to not exercise. This doesn't always mean it's a full blown work out. I usually do a combo of stroller class (which is combo of cardio and strength training), zumba, running, pilates and I would like to work more kettle bell or general wt training into my regimen. The zumba REALLY helps me define my waist, all the hip wagging works that area, lol! I have zumba on wii (both discs), but also attend a real live zumba class at our local schools. Zumba classes are fun (don't worry about looking foolish, everyone needs to start somewhere) and you get an awesome workout. If you can't figure out a move, just keep moving, the point is to keep your heart rate up. :)

Cutting down drastically on carbs. I didn't cut them out 100%, but my body is obviously carb sensitive, and I notice a difference pretty quickly. I also feel like I am less sluggish when I cut out carbs. To replace the carbs I increase veggie and protein intake. As another pp has mentioned, eggs are an excellent (and easy) source of protein. I never tire of eggs.

Also, instead of eating 3 meals a day, I really think that breaking things up where you are eating a healthy snack at least every 2 hrs really helps. I know for me, it becomes a problem when I haven't eaten in a while, then I am REALLY hungry and just want to get my hands on something and scarf it down. My hunger is in better control if I snack more regularly.

wellyes
03-09-2012, 07:44 AM
Working out 5-6x a wk. Yes, you read that correctly. I cannot lose wt by merely working out 3x a wk like, "normal" ppl. The only way I can lose wt is by only giving myself one, sometimes two days off during a wk to not exercise.

The most striking thing to me, when I started looking into long-term weight loss, is that EVERYONE who consistently kept at a healthy weight had to work out 5-6 days per week, usually at a fairly intense level.

I've come to believe that "30 minutes a day, 3 days a week" isn't nearly enough. Or, maybe it's true if you've been in shape a long time and just want to keep your form. But if you're going from flabby to firm, nearly daily is basically required, in my experience.

hellokitty
03-09-2012, 10:00 AM
The most striking thing to me, when I started looking into long-term weight loss, is that EVERYONE who consistently kept at a healthy weight had to work out 5-6 days per week, usually at a fairly intense level.

I've come to believe that "30 minutes a day, 3 days a week" isn't nearly enough. Or, maybe it's true if you've been in shape a long time and just want to keep your form. But if you're going from flabby to firm, nearly daily is basically required, in my experience.

Thanks. I'm glad that I am not the only one who thinks that 30 min, 3x a wk is a joke. I have never been able to lose wt that way, and yes, you are right. The ppl I know who are successful at losing wt through exercise usually have to work out a lot more than 3x a wk. My workouts are usually pretty intense. I only do pilates like 1x a wk on a day where I am feeling really tired and need something more low key.

3blackcats
03-11-2012, 10:07 AM
Not eating at night! We eat dinner super early, like 5pm. I know not everyone can do this, but I do not eat anything after that. Even if I am super hungry, I go to bed hungry. For some reason, this is working for me.

mom2binsd
03-28-2012, 06:52 PM
Did you feel funny (light headed) when you started cutting out carbs...I'm a carbaholic and know that it is one of my major reasons for extra weight. So I've started cutting them out and now I'm feeling pretty lightheaded. I did Atkins about 8 years ago and I never remember feeling like this although they warned about it.

Reading some of your success stories is totally motivating me....off to check on what this MFP thing is...

brittone2
03-28-2012, 09:23 PM
Did you feel funny (light headed) when you started cutting out carbs...I'm a carbaholic and know that it is one of my major reasons for extra weight. So I've started cutting them out and now I'm feeling pretty lightheaded. I did Atkins about 8 years ago and I never remember feeling like this although they warned about it.

Reading some of your success stories is totally motivating me....off to check on what this MFP thing is...
Yes. I remember years ago when I started I felt almost flu-like at points. You may find you eat acceptable foods more frequently or up your fat and protein a bit. Make sure you are drinking enough water too.

kristenk
03-28-2012, 09:33 PM

I very recently started cutting waaaay down on carbs. I've definitely noticed fleeting light-headed moments. Granted, I've been dealing with sinus/allergy crud, too, so it could be carbs or allergies or a combo of the two.

AnnieW625
04-02-2012, 02:33 PM
Little update. I have lost 1/1/2 lbs. since I started Weight Watchers the first Saturday in March. I starting going gluten free when I first started and that is when I lost the most weight. The last two weeks were kind of hard, but now I am completely committed to it. I haven't lost much these last two weeks, I have actually gained a bit back because I did lose 3lbs my second week (which was the week I was wheat free), which seemed really odd and not usually how I lose weight, but I have also added in more weights, plus more cardio so I think that added in more good weight.

Thanks again for all of the support and ideas.

DrSally
04-02-2012, 04:03 PM
Good for you, Annie!

lowrioh
04-02-2012, 04:05 PM
Good for you, Annie!

:yeahthat:

mjs64
04-02-2012, 08:26 PM
Strength training. Lunges, pushups, heavy weights, twice a week.

So this is what I said a few weeks ago, but after reading all the "low carb" responses here, as well as the "Gary taubes" thread, I decided to give low carb a try for the first time ever. High fat, high protein, almost no carbs, after reading the GT book.

And. Oh. My. Goodness. I am not hungry. I have lost 5 pounds. I think this may be sustainable--I'm not "counting" anything, just avoiding categories of foods.

So thanks for this thread!

petesgirl
04-02-2012, 09:08 PM
Ok, so--not to hijack this thread, but now that you have all said things you are avoiding to lose weight--what exactly do you eat??? I noticed eggs mentioned a few times. What else is on your menus?

DrSally
04-02-2012, 09:11 PM
Tons of veggies, unlimited salad veggies for me. Tazaki for dressing. I din't like all the sugar on prepared dressing. Plus some sort of protein. I do awesome on the veggie/protein combo. I also like lots of soup. I like to make chicken noodle on Sunday, and eat it during the week. I limit carbs, and eat them whole wheat when i do.

AshUVA
04-03-2012, 11:48 AM
For those of you that are watching carb intake, what do you do for snacks in addition to fruit and veggies? I need things that are quick and easy that I can eat at work or on the run and I'm getting tired of the same old fruit and veggie options!

brittone2
04-03-2012, 12:27 PM
For those of you that are watching carb intake, what do you do for snacks in addition to fruit and veggies? I need things that are quick and easy that I can eat at work or on the run and I'm getting tired of the same old fruit and veggie options!

Nuts
deviled eggs-we also change these up and do things like mash yolks with avocado, chili powder, cumin, etc. for a different flavor
cream cheese rolled around applegate deli meat (can add a long piece of green onion, or a sliver of dill pickle in there too)
celery and nut butter
celery and cream cheese or laughing cow
leftovers
cheese sticks or laughing cow wedge
shakes-I like jay robb protein powder (stevia sweetened) mixed with unsweetened almond milk. I also will sometimes take the protein powder and unsweetened vanilla almond milk and add it in a blender with starbucks via (no sugar variety),ice and a little erythritol or stevia for an iced coffee. I add in a teensy pinch of xanthan gum (WFs carries this) because it makes it thicker and keeps the ice in suspension. I take that on the road with me in a travel mug when running errands with the kids in warm weather.

For lunch my kids had antipasto spears-salami (nitrate/nitrite free) folded up in squares, with a fresh mozzerella ball and a grape tomato on each toothpick. Could add or sub an olive or something in there too.

echoesofspring
04-03-2012, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by AshUVA View Post

In addition to all the great one mentioned by brittone2 carrots and hummus is a staple around here. To make it quick and portable, I buy the single serve hummus and bagged carrot packs at costco. Plain greek yogurt with berries. Cottage cheese.

I had the flu/sinus infection/cold that wouldn't end for most of March that killed my appetite, and now that I'm better I'm finding I still want to eat a lot lighter, right now I'm craving a more veggie diet and 'green' smoothies. I had never had a green smoothie until 2 weeks ago so this is a change for me. I'm hoping it's going to help take off the last bit of weight.

I very recently started cutting waaaay down on carbs. I've definitely noticed fleeting light-headed moments.
I definitely feel carb withdrawal/flu when I first cut them out, or if I've been upping them accidentally and try to steer the boat back the other direction. It's a day or two and then I feel great. Also, if you aren't eating enough protein and fat, you may just not be getting enough calories, i.e. from a veggie only salad, etc.

AshUVA
04-03-2012, 01:23 PM
echoesofspring, what is a "green smoothie"?

Thanks for all your great suggestions, brittone2 and echoesofspring!:thumbsup:

boltfam
04-03-2012, 03:09 PM

Not echoesofspring, but the green smoothies I make have yogurt, milk,1 frozen banana about 1 T. of peanut butter, and a lot of baby spinach. I might add some honey for sweetness, and I have seen others add some frozen berries.

SnuggleBuggles
04-03-2012, 03:54 PM
Weight lifting really got me in shape; more than running or diet. eta- Grhoup Power/ Body Pump style of lots of reps and low weights or fewer reps with heavy weights.

wellyes
04-03-2012, 04:02 PM
Not echoesofspring, but the green smoothies I make have yogurt, milk,1 frozen banana about 1 T. of peanut butter, and a lot of baby spinach. I might add some honey for sweetness, and I have seen others add some frozen berries.
For green smoothies, I don't do dairy. I put in fresh fruit, frozen fruit, flax seeds, any kind of green (spinach, kale, salad greens, parsley, etc), and water. Spinach is the mildest. The spinach gives the smoothie a prominent green color, but the taste is all fruit.

echoesofspring
04-03-2012, 04:08 PM

the one I had was kale, banana and mango. It was super yummy, I've been craving them ever since, am just waiting for our blender to arrive since ours was busted. I haven't looked at any recipes, but I would probably try to do more veggie/less fruit. Maybe some yogurt or whey protein, etc.

brittone2
04-03-2012, 04:33 PM
Avocado is also really good added to smoothies. Strawberry and avocado is a good one. The avocado just lends a really nice texture and almost no flavor at all.

Blueberries mix well with spinach in a smoothie. It is a good way to start kids off with green smoothies.

daisysmom
04-03-2012, 05:13 PM
I have also found that I don't need to snack because I am not experiencing blood sugar highs/drops. I have pretty much had a morning and afternoon snack every day of the 18 years I have been working outside the home until I did this. But now, I have a big enough breakfast at 7 am or so to tide me over until lunch at 11:45 (and I do Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred in there most days at 8 or so), and then I have a big salad with steak or chicken and a good oil based dressing, and this tides me over until dinner at 6. Sometimes I will grab some walnuts at my desk at 5, but that's rare. I think that I really don't need to snack as much now (and I was a snack devotee for years on my high carb low fat diet).

Sunspot
04-17-2012, 11:12 PM
Oatmeal every day breakfast, spinach salad lunch, walk at least 45 minutes a day...dark chocolate too.