PDA

View Full Version : Bit of an update

hillview
03-02-2012, 01:33 PM
Some of you maybe read my post a while ago on DS2
http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=424692

A quick update. He had an OT visit him in class yesterday. She has a lot of good ideas (weighted vest, weighted blanket, compressions??, and other things). She met with his teachers and she comes to see us at home next week. I also go see a therapist myself later today. I am feeling a lot better that we are getting somewhere.

It feels odd to type but it is a major relief to know something is wrong vs this is just NORMAL. Does that make any sense? I feel like if we know something is going on we can DO something about it.

Anyway. Thanks to you all for being so supportive!

crl
03-02-2012, 01:44 PM
I completely understand. I had well-meaning friends telling me ds was typical and dh wasn't sure we should get him evaluated at all. I was relieved to have someone else see what I saw. Glad you are making progress!

Catherine

hillview
03-02-2012, 07:20 PM
So just back from the psych who I know super well and adore. She has not seen DS2 but thinks it sounds more like ADD than sensory. She will schedule a time to meet him. One step forward one step back. SIGH

o_mom
03-03-2012, 10:15 AM
So just back from the psych who I know super well and adore. She has not seen DS2 but thinks it sounds more like ADD than sensory. She will schedule a time to meet him. One step forward one step back. SIGH

:hug: It's tough. I'm right there with you.

Indianamom2
03-03-2012, 01:53 PM
Actually, I think ADHD and Sensory processing issues are very often diagnosed together. The symptoms overlap a lot and it's very, very difficult to tease out if it's one or the other or truly both at the same time.

With DD, we're dealing with both simultaneously, neither terribly severe, but both definitely present. I knew that the sensory issues were there, but I wasn't convinced at first that we were dealing with ADHD. As I've learned more about what it looks like in girls, I am pretty certain, as is our doctor, that she does indeed have the primarily innatentive type ADHD.

So I guess this all goes to say, don't think about it going back a step or two...but possibly making more headway in diagnosing what's truly happening.

:grouphug:

Wanted to add, have you read Carol Kranowitz' The Out of Sync Child? If not, I highly recommend it.

Melbel
03-03-2012, 03:23 PM
I understand all to well the frustrations of trying to figure out what is wrong with a child you know is not within the "normal" range. It is such a an exhausting process. :grouphug:

ADD and Sensory processing dysfunction are both prevalent in Lyme cases, so you may want to look over the symptom lists and possibly consider testing. http://www.lymedisease.org/resources/children.html

This may not be the best resource, but it will give you the gist of the issue:

http://www.parenting-child-development.com/lyme-disease.html

If the ADD/sensory issues have always been there, it probably is not Lyme (unless you happened to have had Lyme and passed the infection en utero).

After all that we have been through, I think it is prudent to at least consider Lyme, the "great imitator" of so many other illnesses, particularly since you are in a Lyme endemic area such as the NE.