PDA

View Full Version : Friday fun, what "normal" parenting thing do you not do?

AnnieW625
03-02-2012, 01:37 PM
NOT is the key here; what do you not do that most people expect "in the know (ie: BBB or other crunchy parents you know)" parents to do?

For me I don't read child rearing books or particularly wordy articles or essays on child rearing, it has just never been something I have felt the need to do on a regular basis. I parent on experience and instinct itself, so when my DDs were little, esp. newborns I called my mom a lot. She raised three great kids so I felt it was best to contact her first. DH also thinks that all of the child rearing books out there makes new parents worry too much or second guess things so he kind of stressed that I didn't need them:).

I didn't even think to interview pediatricians, which is because unless a doctor has a really awful bedside manner (and believe me I have been to more than a few of them) I am usually very trusting of what they say. I figure if my friends are happy with their peds. or doctors then I'll be happy too.

Even if I want to do I won't do a mommy drive by unless a child is in extreme danger. I bite my tongue a lot because I just don't like confrontation.

lmintzer
03-02-2012, 02:39 PM
I don't bring my kids to the pediatrician too readily. Of course, when I really need to, I do. But I have a fairly high tolerance for fevers and colds and other minor maladies.

(I do schedule all needed appointments like the dentist, eye doctor, and the allergiest--just so you don't think I'm a neglectful parent.)

Hmm--here's an interesting one. I really don't like play dates. Many parents like having other kids over, because they say it keeps their kids entertained. I, on the other hand, prefer my kids when they are by themselves or just with me. I don't like having to break up arguments, deal with the noise of boy play. I find my boys are calmer and easier when they don't have kids here (of course, they love to have friends over, so we do do it--I just don't find any respite in it and I often wind up feeling on edge.)

ETA: We have never been to Disney and have no plans to do so. Frankly, I just don't get the hype and have no interest in standing in lines or reading books to figure out how to work the system and avoid the lines. Gosh, I sound like a scrooge. I really do do nice and creative stuff for my kids like super duper birthday parties and crazy 4th bike decorations

Just thought of a few more: kept my kids in their cribs as long as possible (my older one until 3 and my little guy 'til nearly 3.75--he never asked to move out and was very cozy in there; I subsquently had no trouble with them adjusting to their twin beds). I never pushed potty training. In fact, I dreaded "newly toilet trained kid in underwear" over diaper wearing preschooler!!

momof2girls
03-02-2012, 02:42 PM
I don't like to brag about my kids to others. It's got to be boring hearing about how great everyone's kids are all the time. Everyone thinks their kids are the best and really, no one wants to hear it.
Not on Facebook (again, not a fan of bragging).
Also not one to run off to the doc (which I also did not interview) unless they seem really sick.

peanut520
03-02-2012, 02:49 PM
We did not warm bottles for dd. she got them straight out of the fridge. the ped/nurses at the hospital told us it was fine since they feed all the nicu babies that way to help them feel the sensation of swallowing. This was very hard for both sets of parents to accept, but they loved it when they got over it . one less thing to do!

eta- put me in the camp of not running to the dr office for dd except of scheduled routine stuff

lizzywednesday
03-02-2012, 02:50 PM
I didn't spoon-feed my DD. (BLW worked better for us. Thanks BBB for the info!)

I didn't start solids 'til DD was 6 months old & sitting up well on her own.

I didn't turn my DD forward facing at 1 year old. (I specifically looked for a convertible with a high RF-ing limit so I could keep her RF-ing longer thanks to the CPSTs and knowledgeable moms here on BBB ... and my research helped convince my brother & SIL to keep my nephew RF-ing past 1 yr old!)

I don't run to the pediatrician for everything, but I also have the benefit of a nurses' line for quick-hit medical questions during office hours. (I love that nurses' line!)

I don't dress my DD in pastel pink. (Somehow this seems to bug people!)

AnnieW625
03-02-2012, 03:01 PM
........Hmm--here's an interesting one. I really don't like play dates.....

Kind of along the same lines but I am not very tolerant of going to park and staying for hours. DH can do it, but esp. at our neighborhood park I am ready to come home after about 30 minutes. If I were a SAHM I would have found it very hard to deal with something like a Tot Lot, which is essentially preschool at the park in my area. If I were low income I'd be signing up for Head Start or another subsidized non park preschool the minute my child was born.

lowrioh
03-02-2012, 03:02 PM
I didn't put my children on their backs to sleep. They were belly sleepers and I was OK with that. I also let them sleep with a blanket at 5 months.
I don't insist that my girls wear shoes at the park and don't take them home if they need to pee....we just find a shrub.
I don't do organic food.

mom3boys
03-02-2012, 03:03 PM
Well, there are a lot:

1) Like Annie, I almost never read parenting books

2) We hardly ever do play dates. DS don't have a lot of friends (sorry, that sounds bad, but true) and they have each other to play with. Also, I WOH 4 weekdays out of 5 so I don't have a lot of mom friends around and I'm not home much, and on the day I'm home I'd rather kind of just hang out with my kids myself, although we have done play dates on that day occasionally.

3) None of my kids have ever had a real birthday party. Sounds cruel, but see the comments about the friends. We also have no family close by, and I don't really see the point of an elaborate party with a bunch of kids before the age of say, 4 anyway. So, when DS1 turned 4, I asked if he wanted to invite kids over for a party. He didn't have any close friends and had just started PreK a couple weeks before so barely knew those kids, but there were a few kids from the neighborhood I could have invited. He said he just wanted his grandma to come for his birthday. So my Mom came for the weekend and we went to Six Flags and he loved it. This year I gave him the option of the party or Six Flags again, he chose Six Flags.

DS2 will turn 4 in June and I'll give him the choice of party with kids or "event" with the family (last year we went to the beach and boardwalk amusement park), we'll do whichever he wants. Any party will be low key at a park, I'm not going to spend $500 to rent a room for 2 hours.

ETA: Oh and all my kids got formula! (They had breast milk too).

peanut520
03-02-2012, 03:05 PM
thought of another...

we didnt go by the nothing in the crib rule/advice. dd was swaddled but covered in a blanket to her tummy from birth. we had a crib bumper and her puppy in her crib from day 1

no fancy video monitor... actually we didnt use a monitor at all we just left the doors open.

TwinFoxes
03-02-2012, 03:05 PM
I don't avoid characters on clothes. I just don't care.

AnnieW625
03-02-2012, 03:09 PM
I didn't put my children on their backs to sleep. They were belly sleepers and I was OK with that. I also let them sleep with a blanket at 5 months.
I don't insist that my girls wear shoes at the park and don't take them home if they need to pee....we just find a shrub.
I don't do organic food.

BIG :yeahthat: to all of that too. We have done all of those things although I do kind of prefer shoes at the park, but yeah DD1 has peed on the side of the street when we haven't been near a toilet and driving home and it was a 20 minute drive, and she peed in the parking lot next to our car at the pumpkin patch because she didn't want to use the port a potty.

With the blanket and sleep thing I didn't argue esp. with DD2 who didn't like to sleep during the day due to reflux I didn't argue with her about how she wanted to sleep. If I was feeling overly paranoid I would just leave her door open at night as her room was right next to ours.

I do like organic beef and my organic veggie box (mainly because the veggies come from my hometown), but I don't do all organic everything, and probably wouldn't even if I could afford it. However those are the first things to go when we are short on funds. I don't see the point to organic dairy if it is already hormone free and comes from a local dairy. If my only other option was not labeled hormone free then I'd be drinking organic milk without a second thought, but that is soo rare these days that I'd rather just save a few bucks and buy hormone free instead.

Melaine
03-02-2012, 03:13 PM
Leave our kids with babysitters. I cart them pretty much everywhere with me and DH and I don't really go out unless we have family already in town (to be fair, this happens about once a month, so we do get time out). The girls have never spent a night away from me, except one time when I was staying with my parents and there was a plumbing related emergency here at home. I left them after they went to bed to come back here (an hour away) and help DH. Went back the next morning.
They go with me to dentist appointments and have gone to all but one of the prenatal appointments. They are used to it and are pretty patient. They were great when we had to go to L&D on Monday night.

Giantbear
03-02-2012, 03:18 PM
no swaddling, tried it, she fought it like crazy and still likes to sleep with one hand on her head

Cold bottle from the fridge since 3 months, she would never wait for the bottle to warm.

I used to wake DD from month 3 through 8 at 11 pm to feed so i could move her long sleep to the same time i was sleeping. Yes, i would wake a sleeping baby

lmh2402
03-02-2012, 03:19 PM
we don't eat all organic b/c it can be so expensive.

i also don't abstain for giving my kid sweets or desserts...in fact, he gets a "special" after every lunch and dinner. granted, sometimes it's just two chocolate chips. but it's still a treat and probably not something folks on here would think is such a great idea. but we almost solely home-cooked meals with very few processed ingredients if i can help it, so offering a treat (baked goods are almost always home-baked, so i know what's in them), is totally cool in my book.

we don't avoid shirts that portray characters...DS gets a kick out of wearing his favorite characters and i'm fine with it.

i don't avoid giving pain/fever-reducer medications at all costs. if DS has a temp, or seems pretty unhappy/uncomfortable, than i give him a dose of something.

kijip
03-02-2012, 03:22 PM
I don't avoid characters on clothes. I just don't care.

:yeahthat:

If Thomas on his shirt makes my 3 year old grin ear to ear, then Thomas he shall have.

kijip
03-02-2012, 03:23 PM
I don't really care that I sometimes swear around the kids. :bag Note: never at them. Just near them. :D

trales
03-02-2012, 03:33 PM
I did not interview pedis.

I did not interview our tour preschools, just picked the one I knew a lot of folks I had good sense sent their kids to.

I do not supervise DD in our backyard, she is on her own.

I do not pick out any of her clothes. I buy some, get most from hand me downs. She has free range to pick out whatever combo she wants to wear that day.

I let her drive in a car with any of my friends, go to the beach, pool etc.

I do not ask about guns or pools or pets at friends houses.

Not to worry, there are some things I am really uptight about. Just not these things.

momm
03-02-2012, 03:45 PM
- We co-slept from day 1
- We used blankets soon after that
- We do elimination communication, therefore lot of nude time in summer. Also lots of pee accidents in the beginning on the floors. Cleaned up and moved on :)
- I have never posted pictures on FB and never cutesy updates about what DS does. I keep that for his journal which not many are privy to.
- The high chair is only used sometimes. Meals have become floor time since he had all those solids troubles.
ETA - I nurse him to sleep.

wow - are you guys ready to ban me yet? :D

georgiegirl
03-02-2012, 04:01 PM
I've never taken my kids to McDonalds (or the like.). And DD is almost 6.

I never made either of my children a nursery...and neither has a big kid room either. From day 1, we've always played musical beds and musical rooms.

mom3boys
03-02-2012, 04:21 PM
Oh, and I don't have a baby book or journal for any of them. Will probably regret that one day.

We also didn't do baby monitors. I would be distracted by something like that being right by my head while I slept. I bought some (none-video) ones, we didn't use them. Bought some more for DS3 after I gave the old ones away, we still don't use them. We have a small house. If DS3 wants something, he'll let us know.

lizzywednesday
03-02-2012, 04:24 PM
ETA - I nurse him to sleep.

Since I never read parenting books, I never realized you weren't supposed to let a baby nurse to sleep.

So ... DD will be 2 next week and she does nurse to sleep at night. (She's capable of falling asleep without me for her nap, so we're on our way to weaning.)

m448
03-02-2012, 04:27 PM
We really don't use strollers. I have a 9 year old peg plikomatic in the garage that I had poor DH chase all over town when I was pregnant with my first that has been used with all 4 kids enough for me to count the total on both hands. The first hated the stroller and by the time the other three kids came I was too busy chasing the older kids to have a baby in the stroller. I should just have invested in the ring sling, pouch and mei tai from the get go.

I don't do baths as part of the night time routine. Why draw out something that is as hectic as the witching hour? Dinner, PJs, brush teeth and sleep. No lolligagging by trying to cram bathtime for 4 kids when everyone's tired.

I tune out people/experts who give parenting advice that grates on my nerves, aka goes against my instincts. It all goes in the circular file.

vludmilla
03-02-2012, 04:34 PM
I don't bathe DD every night or even every other night in the winter.
We don't have big birthday parties. Her 6th birthday will probably when she has her first "friend" party.
We have no plans to go to Disney World.
We have been to McDonalds twice.
The television is almost never on when DD is awake. I'd say she watches about one hour of tv per week, often less.
I let DD dress herself assuming her clothes are weather appropriate. (she wore a Hawaiian sundress over leggings and turtleneck yesterday. Oy.)
I don't regulate tv time or Leapster time (a hand me down from a friend).

nfceagles
03-02-2012, 04:35 PM
I also don't have baby books or journals.

No babysitters here. Wish I did. When DS was younger I didn't trust anyone due to his food allergies and now I'm having trouble finding any. People are obsessive about them.

I almost never take the kids for professional pictures. I took ODS when he was 17 mos and then I took the kids last fall when DS was 6.5 and DD was 3.5. That's all. Not on purpose, I just never make it a priority.

I don't like playdates either and only have them rarely out of guilt.

I hardly ever have birthday parties for my kids. DS got one when he turned 5 (he's now 6.5) and almost 4yo DD has never had one and isn't getting one this coming birthday. I hate them and attending other children's parties too.

ZeeBaby
03-02-2012, 04:52 PM
I don't really get play dates either. DDs are in daycare or preschool all week. They can play with each other. Maybe I would feel differently if I stayed at home.

♥ms.pacman♥
03-02-2012, 04:55 PM
i don't sanitize everything. i let DS eat food of our floor.

i'm not super picky about what they eat..if something is not organic, or has sugar in it, not a big deal. i let him eat lollipops after he gets his shots or has a traumatic dr visit (e.g. strep throat culture)and it calms him down instantly and he is a totally happy camper after that. last night we had no cow's milk bc we got back from a trip...and i gave him chocolate soymilk. he downed it and went to sleep like a rock. for halloween, valentine's day, or a kid's birthday party, i let him eat some candy.

i often nurse DD to sleep (most of the time). i have never read a sleep book. my kiddos are awesome sleepers (slept thru the night at 3-4 months, still sleeping 11hrs+ straight at night in their cribs). the only time they wake up is when they are really sick or when we are traveling, jet-lagged, etc.

before i had kids, i swore my kids would never be into the licensed characters and would never wear them. but my DS loves Thomas and i don't see the big problem with it.

i do playdates with my moms group, but my DS is not a fan. i do it only for myself and my personal sanity, so i can get out of the house and chat with other moms (i'm a SAHM). DS is pretty anti social and does not like it, but i figure he has to learn eventually.

niccig
03-02-2012, 05:01 PM
I don't do posed photos at 3 months, 6 months, 9 monts, 1 year,s 2 years etc...or whatever order it's supposed to be in.

Both SILs stress over getting this done and if too late, should they skip. To be honest, most posed photos are awful. DH takes fabulous candid shots of DS.

AnnieW625
03-02-2012, 05:09 PM
not trying to start anything but I didn't nurse either of my kids past 4 months old, and I never pumped at work or had no desire to do so (state employees have locker rooms or empty conference rooms to pump in; it was the only downside of being a working mom and working in state government).

I nursed or bottle fed DD1 to sleep a lot at night from the newborn stage until she got all of her teeth at early 3 yrs. old. I yet to have to do the same for DD2:).

I put my kids on a sleep schedule pretty early on; that was key for us to keep us sane and saved us a lot of money so we didn't have to hire a night nurse ESP. once they were no longer breastfed at night.

Green_Tea
03-02-2012, 05:15 PM
I don't micromanage what my kids wear. If it's clean and it fits and it's warm enough, they can wear it.

I don't make them drink milk. Or eat fruits or vegetables. (I do offer them, of course!)

I don't stay at drop-off birthday parties in public places or in private homes. I am out of there before you can say grande mocha latte.

I don't make them do regularly assigned chores (though they better pick up when I ask them to!).

I don't make them stay right next to me in public or in stores (though I did when they were toddlers). I allow my girls to go to the bathroom together at a restaurant while I enjoy my glass of wine, or check out the hair accessories at CVS while I grab a prescription.

I don't sanitize everything, and let them eat meals without washing their hands first.

MMMommy
03-02-2012, 05:16 PM
DH and I love to watch tv. I think it has rubbed off on DDs.... :bag I'm sure they watch way more than what is desirable or recommended.

I guess the "not" here is that DH and I do not restrict DDs' tv viewing as much as others do.

g-mama
03-02-2012, 05:24 PM
I didn't keep my kids rear-facing past their first birthday. :duck:

Meatball Mommie
03-02-2012, 05:24 PM
-We don't currently, nor did we ever, do a bath as part of our bedtime routine.
-My kids don't bathe every day or even every other day.
-I don't really regulate junk food or sweets, but that's mostly because my kids aren't picky eaters and generally eat well. I figure leftover birthday cake for breakfast one day is not going to ruin them. Everything in moderation.
-My kids eat McDonald's once a week...I suppose I could pack sandwiches for the one day we need a really fast meal, but back to the "everything in moderation"...I don't really care that much.
-We eat at the dining room table only about 50% of the time. The remaining 50% is in the living room in front of the tv. It's not the way I'd like it, but it's the only time we can catch the news and it's shut off for reading time after.
-I don't think drinking cow's milk is important at all to kids...my pediatrician always asked how much they drank and I lied about it. They get their calcium from other sources.

My biggest thing is that I don't stress about stuff nearly as much as most people seem to. I kind of figure it will work itself out. I'm a type A personality with the rest of my life, but with parenting, I've very laid back. Go figure.

oh...had to add that I turned my kids front facing at 1 too (thanks G-mama for the reminder).

boolady
03-02-2012, 05:25 PM
I guess the "not" here is that DH and I do not restrict DDs' tv viewing as much as others do.

I don't as much as I used to...that was my one thought for this thread, since I guess this place has warped my thinking, but there's not much posted here that doesn't fall on the continuum of what I've come to think of as normal. I'm not sure what non-BBBers even see as "normal" anymore. :ROTFLMAO:

I can't get all wound up about TV anymore. DD's almost 5.5, she goes to preschool/daycare all week with no access to TV for 9 hours a day, and does all sorts of play-based, creative activities. I don't care anymore if she likes to unwind sometimes while I make dinner with an hour or so of Nick, or if we snuggle on the couch together on a Saturday morning for a few episodes of Strawberry Shortcake.

I also intend to try and be a bit free range with her, when I feel I safely can. If she had a sibling, I'd have no problem with her staying with a sibling on another aisle at CVS, as greentea references, or playing out in the unfenced backyard without me. I've tried to start giving her some chain where appropriate, because we now live in a small town where kids still ride their bikes or walk to each others' houses, everyone walks to school (no busses), and there's a lot of running from yard to yard.

niccig
03-02-2012, 05:37 PM
DH and I love to watch tv. I think it has rubbed off on DDs.... :bag I'm sure they watch way more than what is desirable or recommended.

This is us too. DH works on movies for a living. Part of his job is staying up on popular culture incl. tv, movies, music. I'm sure DS watches more TV than other kids.

I am though picky about what he watches. Everything is tivoed, he doesn't watch anything live.

JustMe
03-02-2012, 05:52 PM
My kids only shower about 2x/week.

I am not big on too much handwashing. Before eating, yes. Otherwise, my kids stay healthy and both dd and I have problems with excema/dry skin on our hands.

I think many would call me a helocopter parent with my dd. That said, she has been allowed to be out of my sight in stores from a younger age. She would never go too far, is always keenly aware of where I am, would not interact with anyone she did not know, etc.

Also, not big on cow's milk. Dd has a sensitivity when she was a baby, but I believe she outgrew it and she still does not drink it. Ds likes it, but generally has it only in cereal in the morning.

Binkandabee
03-02-2012, 06:06 PM
First thing that comes to my mind is I don't force my DD to do her homework. My Mom literally fought my brother every.single.night to do his homework and I swore up and down, I would never do that, so I don't. If DD doesn't want to do her work, she can face her teacher or her report card all on her own. I will remind her it's homework time, I will be there to answer questions, I will check her work....but it's all up to her whether she chooses to do it.

MaiseyDog
03-02-2012, 06:13 PM
I let me kids play in the yard unsupervised. They know not to cross the street, they know not to go farther than the house next door. We live in the suburbs and I know all my neighbors.

I don't worry about germs. I actually think germs and a little dirt are good for them - gotta give the immune system something to fight to keep it in shape.

I don't take them to the MD unless they've had a fever for more than 48 hours or have something major going on. I prefer to not give antibiotics unless there is clear indication of a bacterial infection. Now, in my defense, I am a pharmacist and feel comfortable triaging most minor illness and treating with OTC products for comfort. I just refuse to pay a copay for the MD to tell me info I already know and am already doing. So unless an illness has me really scratching my head as to what could be going on or I think it's bacterial and not going to just run it's course, I choose to treat it at home.

I let me kids drink kool-aid.

My kids bath every other day in the winter AND I let them play in the bathtub while I do laundry in the laundry room or clean their rooms. There is usually so much noise and ruckus coming from the bathroom that I have no problem knowing exactly what is going on.

We do not do birthday parties, other than small family get togethers, until they turn 5 and after that they don't get a party every year. I know other people do it because they enjoy throwing the parties, but I absolutely detest them, so if I'm going through the effort, I want the kids to be old enough to remember them

Jai
03-02-2012, 06:44 PM
I didnt interview DS's pediatrician.

DS has never had more than 8 ounces of cow's milk. He doesnt like it (or yogurt). He eats plenty of cheese though.

We generally go to the doctor only for check ups. I generally just watch him, give him some kiddie ibuprofen and let whatever it is run its course.

I dient do the 3 month, 6 montg, etc pictures. We take lots of candid shots. If i feel like taking him to the potrait studio, i just do it.

DualvansMommy
03-02-2012, 07:14 PM
I didn't interview my DS's ped.
I didn't nurse beyond 3 months old.
I let my DS FF although he COULD be RF for another 20lbs, but is so fricking tall already!!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?uo1wir

alexsmommy
03-02-2012, 07:29 PM
My kids rarely drink milk and when they do it's chocolate milk (we do lots of other calcium options, they don't like milk, neither do I).
My African-American, preemie, male baby slept on his tummy from 3 months (that's three major factors corrleated to SIDS). Same kid, born at 32 weeks, pulled his NG tube out in anger daily from three days on. He could lift his head just fine, he was a horrible back sleeper and he was in a co-sleeper next to me with no blanket. I had a "come to Jesus" moment in my head and put him on his tummy and we all slept better and longer. My ped told me he "couldn't" tell me that it was ok two weeks later at his appointment - while shaking his head yes. Loved him for that. No brainer on the next two non-preemies who also lifted their heads from day one. They were on their tummies at 6 weeks.
Blanket at 6 months.
Nursed to sleep.
I truly believe that immune systems need some germs to get stronger, so I'm lenient about a lot of things falling on the ground and going into the mouth.
I really don't like winter playdates (and I live in a cold weather area) with the exception of a few very easy low key kids. My kids are fairly independent and the neediness that seems to permeate playdates after about an hour drives me a bit nuts. In summer I'm better at throwing them outside with cool activities and can deal all day.
I think kids NEED to learn to entertain themselves and will give the all space to do so from a young age. They get all sorts of enriching actvities too, but they know how to keep themselves busy for an hour too. No guilt saying "No, I can't read/play a game/color/play trains with you right now."
I don't think "screens" are bad or evil even in larger doses AS LONG AS the kids are getting plenty of interaction with others, time/opportunity/encouragement to do other things and the caretakers are aware of what the child is watching/playing/doing with the screen time.
I think most things are fine in moderation.

My ped gave me the best answer to a question early on and I have adopted it as a psychologist. So to my new mom's who have all sorts of "What do you think of... (tv, co-sleeping, CIO etc)" I say, "Do you want my psychologist 'I've read the studies' answer or my Mom answer?"

edurnemk
03-02-2012, 09:52 PM
-I don't think drinking cow's milk is important at all to kids...my pediatrician always asked how much they drank and I lied about it. They get their calcium from other sources..

:yeahthat: I'll give DS some if he asks for it, which is maybe twice a month, but I never offer it. He loves yoghurt, and has a a shifting love-hate relationship with cheese.

I also avoid Ped calls or visits unless I'm pretty sure he has an infection or something serious (but I do take him in for well visits, which reminds me we're overdue for his 4 yo check-up). Peds here tend to overmedicate kids, so I end up ignoring a lot of advice and prescriptions anyway.

I bathe DS every other day, sometimes I let an extra day go by, especially now that PG makes me soooo tired by bedtime.

ETA: Thought of a few more:
I nursed DS to sleep, even though I knew I shouldn't and everyone telling me not to (friends, Ped, etc), and I don't regret and will probably do it again with DD.

DS slept on his side the first few months, and yes, we used a sleep positioner (before they were declared unsafe and all that).

I'm the only person I know IRL who RF'd past 1.

I hardly spoon fed DS, I let him self-feed as soon as he could, I got a lot of comments on that one from one friend in particular who was appalled that I let him make such a mess.

DrSally
03-02-2012, 10:05 PM
I don't really push cow's milk here either. The most they get is a little in their cereal. They don't really like it. They do like choc milk, and get that at restaurants.

trales
03-02-2012, 10:44 PM
Did I mention that last week DD only got 1 bath in 7 days. :jammin:

belovedgandp
03-02-2012, 11:22 PM
Guilty of the extremely infrequent bathing; especially in the winter.

Lots of germs around here; we eat off of about any surface.

reneed
03-03-2012, 12:50 AM
I don't really care that I sometimes swear around the kids. :bag Note: never at them. Just near them. :D

Yeah that!! When DS asks why he can't use those words I tell him he can once he pays the mortgage in his own home if he thinks it is the right thing to do. Yes. I am hanging my head in shame!

jent
03-03-2012, 12:55 AM
I often forget to remind DD to wash her hands before meals when we've just been home the whole day.

DebbieJ
03-03-2012, 01:04 AM
Hmm--here's an interesting one. I really don't like play dates. Many parents like having other kids over, because they say it keeps their kids entertained. I, on the other hand, prefer my kids when they are by themselves or just with me. I don't like having to break up arguments, deal with the noise of boy play. I find my boys are calmer and easier when they don't have kids here (of course, they love to have friends over, so we do do it--I just don't find any respite in it and I often wind up feeling on edge.)

:yeahthat: I really don't like playdates either! At least not hosting them. I love when I can go drop DS off somewhere, though. :)

Fairy
03-03-2012, 03:11 AM
We don't do alot of playdates because *I* don't want to deal with them.

I didn't breastfeed.

I never did any kind of baby wearing of any kind.

We don't do any organized sports.

I swear in front of DS. Not that I'm proud. But I do it. Let's not tell DH.

MontrealMum
03-03-2012, 03:30 AM
I'm thinking that the BBB is not the best barometer of what is "normal". :p But, that said:
-I nursed DS to sleep, I never realized that was "bad" until recently. It sure worked for us since he was STTN by 6 weeks.
-I don't read many parenting books. Those that I have read, I've read after the fact.
-We started dairy (yoghurt) too early. And I don't regret it. Our former ped was nutso in terms of introduction of solids and DS was so much happier when I went off schedule ;)
-We let DS have stuffed animals in his crib very early on. They were a great comfort to him and now that he's older they help him self-soothe.
-We never had a baby monitor.
-We've never had a big b-day party for DS. We're considering his 1st this year, when he turns 5.
-I kept my kid in a crib until it was absolutely necessary to move him. Yes, that was at 4 years of age. He was totally happy in there. Why mess with it?
-We don't bathe DS every day, or even every other day. :bag
-My kid doesn't like fast food or "kid" food. I find this a pain in terms of feeding sometimes.

marymoo86
03-03-2012, 08:16 AM
Nurse/ing to sleep
BLW
No cows milk to drink - we do greek yogurt

123LuckyMom
03-03-2012, 09:04 AM
My BFF and I are the only ones in our town who RF at 3.5. ALL the other moms turned at a year. (Thanks for educating us, you guys!!!)

We rarely wash hands. I think a little dirt is good!

My DS has been free to roam by himself in our fenced yard since he was 2. We have an acre fenced, so I can't always see him. He has soooo much fun!

Sometimes I let DS go outside in the fenced yard and play in the dusk/dark after school.

We never eat at our hideously uncomfortable hand-me-down dining room table unless there's a family event. We all eat together in the living room.

I always breast fed to sleep and put DS in his crib after he was already sleeping. No self-soothing techniques employed, but he was always a good sleeper.

I let DS eat a lot of dairy and legumes instead of meats. He'll really only eat meat at restaurants or other people's homes where he's always super adventurous. Sometimes he'll eat two meals a day of Greek yogurt or cheese, milk, veggies, nuts or beans, and some carb or fruit. So long as he's getting protein, I don't care if it comes from non-meat sources. He's growing fine, and I just don't believe in food battles!

I swore I would NEVER feed my child fast food! He's had Wendy's nuggets and apple slices a bunch of times and McDonalds a few times on trips. Oh, well.

hellbennt
03-03-2012, 09:37 AM
No toddler beds
Ds1 left crib bcse of ds2
Ds2 was in crib & rf until 4

For whatever reason, thurs. night has become taco bell night (makes me feel better to clarify that the boys only eat items w/ beans, no meat; we've gotten creative w/ our orders, I say w/ pride)

We don't have a 'democracy' - while we listen & take what the boys say into consideration, we (dh & I) have the final (ruling) 'say.'

MommyofAmaya
03-03-2012, 10:28 AM
We do have power struggles at the dinner table. I beg them to try things when I know that they will like it. I have never read Satter (or any other parenting books for that matter), so I don't know any better. ;) I have some regret about it, but I can't help myself.

We don't use strollers. We've been able to sell the three we've purchased in nearly new condition since they were only used a few times each. Although, I am thinking about getting another one for Disneyland this year.

I never considered putting DD in preschool prior to 4 years old... but DS started at 2.

karstmama
03-03-2012, 12:52 PM
no baby monitor, though he had an o2 sat monitor for a year or so. because of that, he slept on his tummy & i was fine with it. he just moved to a toddler bed, so he was still in a crib at 5. he's just now potty training, though that's more because of his delays than me being lazy - though that's true, too. hmm...no baby wearing. i tried it, but with wearing the o2 tank, too, i almost bashed his head the first time & was scared to do it again. no play dates - no kids in our rural area. no organics, though lots of fruits & veggies. no hanna clothes, mostly hand-me-downs. only two dr visits that weren't check-ups & only one er visit (i thought he might have a small bowel obstruction, which he didn't, but i don't regret the visit.) oh, and i use fabric softener. just ban me now! :D

KLD313
03-03-2012, 01:04 PM
I try to do hormone free or organic milk but if I can't I don't stress about it.
I don't bathe her everyday and it's's never a part of bedtime routine.
The tv has been on since birth.
I let her eat fast food from time to time.
If I'm eating a bot so good for you snack I'll give her a bite or two.
I nursed and bottle fed her to sleep and she's a great sleeper now.
Her day starts late and ends late because I don't force a schedule and go by when she's tired.
We don't do play dates or classes.
I didn't baby wear.
She still uses a bottle twice a day and she's over a year.
I let her drink soda out of her bottle but only on pageant days. Ok that's a joke but the rest is true.

Green_Tea
03-03-2012, 01:19 PM
I let her drink soda out of her bottle but only on pageant days. Ok that's a joke but the rest is true.

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

lizzywednesday
03-03-2012, 04:01 PM
Guilty of the extremely infrequent bathing; especially in the winter.

I'd forgotten about that.

Yeah, we don't bathe daily 'round these parts unless DD smears Nutella or spaghetti sauce in her hair. She loves the bath, but it's a couple times per week at most.

When she was a wee bundle, I bathed her when she stank or had a major poo blowout.

I have really dry, really sensitive skin myself and kind of figured my DD would as well, so it never actually occurred to me that I ought to bathe DD daily. (We did not bathe daily in my house growing up due to allergies and skin dryness issues.)

♥ms.pacman♥
03-03-2012, 04:18 PM
Yeah that!! When DS asks why he can't use those words I tell him he can once he pays the mortgage in his own home if he thinks it is the right thing to do. Yes. I am hanging my head in shame!

Ha, i :heartbeat: this!! I think i am going to have to use this!! :)

DH & I were/are big swearers too. We have stopped swearing near them, but even things like "oh my god" and "that's so stupid", DS is starting to repeat. it's impossible to pretty much say anything without him repeating it. I think at some point i have to teach DS that he can't repeat everything mommy says!

essnce629
03-03-2012, 06:34 PM
* DS2 only gets a bath or shower with me once a week.
* I've never interviewed a ped in person, but I did check reviews on Yelp and search for recommendations on MDC. I wanted someone who was fine with not vaxing, not circing, extended breastfeeding, and cosleeping so going to a mainstream doc wouldn't be the best choice.
* I've never treated a fever.
* The idea of strep throat has never crossed my mind when DS1 complains of a sore throat.
* I rarely take my kids to the doctor when they're sick unless it's something unusual. I took DS1 in to confirm his chickenpox at age 5 and again when he had an eyelid infection at age 7. I took DS2 in to confirm his whooping cough. We do go to the allergist and dentist though.
* I'm not a fan of playdates either. DS2 and I go to our MOMS Club playgroup once a week and that's enough for us. Now that DS1 is older though (8) he's asking for playdates more often. I just don't like adding more to our weekday schedule.
* My kids don't drink cow's milk, or any other milk substitute.
* We don't ever eat at McDonalds, but we do eat at In-N-Out!
* I don't give my kids goldfish crackers or juice boxes.

plusbellelavie
03-03-2012, 06:44 PM
my kids have all enjoyed coffee from an early age...DS1 was known to swipe and jug his uncles double espresso coffee when younger. Although I still let him have coffee when he asks I introduced teas to him and he is now quite the connoisseur of teas.

My kids are all allowed to taste our wine/champagne/beer/cider (but not mixed drinks) when we have a glass which is rare but if they ask to taste it we give them some.

We don't let them have sleepovers or attend sleepovers...I don't want to deal with the responsiblity of it all. They know the rules and don't even ask us and tell their friends who invite them that they cannot attend.

I let them have "goody parties" every couple of months where they stay in their pjs all day, eat and drink all the junk food they want, and watch as much tv or play as much video games as they want until a bedtime. My kids love these days my friends who are aware of them don't agree with them at all "sugar high" "junk food" etc but that is okay because we don't invite anyone (the one time we did no one had very much fun).

I have been known to send my kids to school w/out a jacket because they tell me they are too hot in the classroom and that when it is time for recess it is too warm for one but their teachers insist that they put whatever jacket they brought from home on!

I have sent my kids to school with wet hair:bag

my kids are allowed to listen to whatever music they want and read whatever book they want even "adult" ones...we however don't let them watch anything and everything they want we monitor that.

they go outside barefooted a lot even in winter

we avoid team/competitive sports and the time they require especially on the weekend

I am sure there are plenty more but those are the big ones I know most of my friends have shook their heads out when I tell them...

showers around here are every 2 to 3 days, we go to the drs only if someone is really really sick or it is for a well visit,

niccig
03-03-2012, 06:48 PM
I stay with DS until he falls asleep, and he's 7 yo. I never did when he was younger, he would go to sleep on his own. I'm just so tired since I started back at school, that I fall asleep with him after we read a book. DH normally wakes me up, then I study a few hours more before I go to bed.

I sometimes think I should stop, but DS can sleep by himself and he's always been a great sleeper. And I figure, at some point he won't want me to snuggle in bed.

speo
03-03-2012, 07:41 PM
*My almost 7yo still drinks whole milk.
*My kids do not get a snack during a regular day. Just breakfast, lunch and dinner. If dinner will be late or we are at a party or something, then they can have one.
*I do not buy juice ever. Nor do I buy goldfish or granola bars with chocolate.
*I don't play that often with my kids. I think it is good for them to play on their own. I do read a lot and play games.
*I don't really like playdates at my house. I don't want to be in charge of other peoples kids.

Uno-Mom
03-03-2012, 07:48 PM
I sometimes think I should stop, but DS can sleep by himself and he's always been a great sleeper. And I figure, at some point he won't want me to snuggle in bed.
We backtracked into habits we'd avoided, too. Sprog is a great sleeper and can totally fall asleep on her own. (We used Ferber with no issues.) Now we've added a nighttime cuddle to her bedtime routine. She often fall asleep in my arms, something we carefully avoided when she was setting up her sleep habits originally.

Like you, I've got no issue with it. It's not messing up her sleep and I'm just going to enjoy it while it lasts!

niccig
03-03-2012, 08:00 PM
Like you, I've got no issue with it. It's not messing up her sleep and I'm just going to enjoy it while it lasts!

That's how I feel. DS doesn't wake up at night, he doesn't come into our room, he can fall asleep by himself. Me falling asleep with him hasn't created any issues, so why change it. I know one day he won't want me to stay. Until then, you'll find me snoring beside DS at 8pm most nights.

There's also many things I was freaked about when DS was young, that now I see as no big deal. The bottle - I was so stressed about him giving that up. A friend ignored the Dr, and let her boys keep it until they were ready to give it up, and they did. From that, I can see a lot of things, as not really being such a big issue in the big scheme of things.

Uno-Mom
03-03-2012, 08:09 PM
The bottle - I was so stressed about him giving that up. A friend ignored the Dr, and let her boys keep it until they were ready to give it up, and they did. From that, I can see a lot of things, as not really being such a big issue in the big scheme of things. Another :yeahthat:. Sprog still has bottles around. I don't care a bit if she wants her bedtime milk in a bottle. She never carries it around, she never did. She drinks just fine from a cup. She doesn't demand a bottle at daycare or at naps. If she enjoys a bedtime bottle every once in a while, I fine with that!

I feel very blessed to have an easy-going child. This has allowed us to be way more flexible about things. I know it varies by child! I'm sure, if we have any more kids, we'll parent them very differently based on their temperaments.

Giantbear
03-03-2012, 09:35 PM
wow, i didnt realize just how bad a parent i was:

dd still has her morning and afternoon bottle, but a sippy cup at daycare and for water
only bathe her once every three or four days (i always thought this was recomended)

And according to my mil, i am horrid for taking her out for a stroll iin 50 degree weather when she has a 100 fever

firemama
03-05-2012, 01:49 AM
We don't vaccinate.

We don't treat fevers.

We don't use Tylenol/Ibuprofen medications (we use whole food supplements and homeopathic sprays).

We didn't use formula (but am very thankful it went well and we are still BFing). My sister and I were formula babies, and my mom tried BFing but couldn't. So I understand everyone can't do it.

We don't do back sleeping. She is a belly sleeper, and recently sometimes side sleeper. She sleeps 12 hours every night + 2 hour naps. We also use bumpers and a blanket since 6 months, although the blanket is usually off within an hour of falling asleep and stays off until she wakes up. She has had a little stuffed dog and an angel baby blanket since 15 months.

We don't feed DD carbs or dairy. For breakfast DD has eggs and bacon, and she has also eaten roasted chicken, hot italian sausage, chili, stroganoff (we leave the sour cream out for her). She has no idea what 'breakfast' is and loves it!

We also don't do snacks, only breakfast, lunch and dinner.

We don't force veggies or fruit, but she LOVES apples, bananas, pears, clementines, roasted broccoli, and kale chips. She unknowingly eats carrots, celery, onion, garlic, spinach, peppers, beans, and mushrooms in a lot of our recipes.

We don't give DD juice. She only drinks water or BM.

We don't use plastic zippy cups, only klean kanteen.

We don't buy plastic toys. She has some that are gifts, but they are rarely used.

We don't use disposable diapers or wipes (only if she has a chiropractor appointment so the Dr can feel her spine and sacrum). We also don't use diaper rash cream. DD has only had a few minor diaper rashes and we either use coconut oil or diaper free air time.

We also do elimination communication.

We don't let her watch TV. She has no idea what it is.

We don't do daily bedtime baths. Just about every 3 days, random times of day. Bedtime is nurse, sing good night song, short cuddle and laid down awake.

We won't turn her FF until she is over 40 lbs (the RF weight limit on her seat).

We don't buy her hard sole shoes/sandals. She only wears soft sole shoes (Robeez or Bobux), and will hopefully wear them until she can fit into five finger shoes. She is mostly barefoot unless in public.

We don't pick her up under her arms. We pick her up with one hand under her butt and the other hand supporting her chest or back. We learned it is not good to pick infants/children up under their arms because you are putting all their weight on their shoulders. The pelvis was designed to be load-bearing, not the shoulders. One way we look at it is: would you like to be picked up under the arms?

We don't read child-rearing books (except The Diaper Free Baby). We go by instinct and advice from our chiropractor, family and friends.