PDA

View Full Version : I'm getting an ipad! I have some questions.

Globetrotter
03-03-2012, 01:51 AM
I've read previous threads but I'd like to clarify a few things:

Rumors are that IPad 3 will have built in 4G. I read it won't have wifi (JUST a rumor!) Would that mean you have to buy a data plan if you want to use it? I currently don't have a smartphone but hoping to get an iphone soon.

For Ipad 2s with bluetooth, do you need a data plan? I'm guessing you choose ATT or Verizon options just like you do with the iphone, right? I understand how the wifi version works (like on my Touch :)).

I was going to use the ibooks app to give me the capability to highlight text on a textbook and take notes.

I'm thinking I just need a 32GB or 64GB wifi version for my needs (kindle app, downloaded textbooks, streaming videos, storing itunes music but videos would be synced to the macbook). Does that sound right? I have to decide this weekend but no time to go by the store beforehand :(

larig
03-03-2012, 02:13 AM
I've read previous threads but I'd like to clarify a few things:

Rumors are that IPad 3 will have built in 4G. I read it won't have wifi (JUST a rumor!) Would that mean you have to buy a data plan if you want to use it? I currently don't have a smartphone but hoping to get an iphone soon.

For Ipad 2s with bluetooth, do you need a data plan? I'm guessing you choose ATT or Verizon options just like you do with the iphone, right? I understand how the wifi version works (like on my Touch :)).

I was going to use the ibooks app to give me the capability to highlight text on a textbook and take notes.

I'm thinking I just need a 32GB or 64GB wifi version for my needs (kindle app, downloaded textbooks, streaming videos, storing itunes music but videos would be synced to the macbook). Does that sound right? I have to decide this weekend but no time to go by the store beforehand :(

It will certainly have wifi. No worries about that. I'd bet my house on it. Seriously. Assuming that rumor WERE true, (and, again, I'm certain it's not), you would have to get a data plan.

Yes, I have heard that it is to have 4G, but we'll see. I'm less certain about that than I am that it will have wifi. Bluetooth doesn't really have anything to do with the data--its for connecting peripherals like keyboards and headsets.

You will be able to choose the following things:
1) color (black or white, I assume)
2) size of drive (16, 32, 64 are current size offerings, and will likely remain same according to today's rumors at macrumors).
3) wifi only OR wifi + 3g/4g (depending on what they offer, it is unlikely that they would have a wifi + 3g AND a wifi + 4g of the iPad3.)
3b) Yes, if you choose wifi + 3g/4g then, yes, you choose a provider (Verizon, Sprint or AT&T). I believe Sprint uses same chips as one of the others (but it's late and I can't remember whether it is Veriz or AT&T), so they are essentially the same machine. As I understand it (and we don't have an iPad with 3g, so take with grain of salt) your data plan can be turned off and on as needed, so you could buy one and use it wifi only until you needed it and then pay for a month and shut if off.

your streaming movies will take no space on your drive, so that frees space. my iPhone is 32 gig, it has about 9 gigs of pictures/videos i've taken, 7 movies, 6 video podcasts, and about 100 hour-long audio podcasts. I've got about 70 apps. And I've got a few books. We have 2 iPads (1 & 2) both are 32 gig, and an iPhone 4 and 4s (both 32 gig). It's a nice size, I think. BUT, with the retina display, I expect our storage needs to increase, because I think that the movies will be larger/higher resolution. I'm lobbying DH to get a 64 gig this time, but it's his call.

I don't read and highlight on my iPad these days, so maybe someone who is more knowledgeable can comment on that aspect of things.

Hope this helps. If you've got more questions, I'm happy to help.

Globetrotter
03-03-2012, 02:18 AM
Thanks larig! I was hoping you would see this ;)

Ah yes, makes sense re. bluetooth. I was confusing that with the 3G/4G options! I'm thinking bluetooth isn't a must for my needs??

larig
03-03-2012, 02:20 AM
Thanks larig! I was hoping you would see this ;)

Ah yes, makes sense re. bluetooth. I was confusing that with the 3G/4G options! I'm thinking bluetooth isn't a must for my needs??

it will be built in anyway. not an option at all, you just get it. Aww, you're so sweet! :loveeyes:

ETA: are you going to get a 3g/4g model? We've never had one, but it is tempting when we're on a road trip (we do that a lot). I just don't know if I can justify the extra expense, but it is DH's and he's a programmer, so he gets whatever tech toys he wants--as we see it as a necessary expense to keep up with his field. ;-) DS and I get the hand-me-down iPads. He's nice enough to always let me have the new phone though (which I think is awfully nice).

Globetrotter
03-03-2012, 02:23 AM
it will be built in anyway. not an option at all, you just get it. Aww, you're so sweet!

I would have PMed you if you hadn't responded!

Good to know about bluetooth being built in..

larig
03-03-2012, 02:29 AM
I would have PMed you if you hadn't responded!

I'm always here if you've got more questions. happy someone can benefit from my constant rumor reading!

BillK
03-03-2012, 10:52 AM
Bluetooth is nice to have. My wife streams Pandora with her ipad via bluetooth through our wireless Logitech Bluetooth speaker.

crl
03-03-2012, 11:14 AM
I have the original iPad with 3G. I can turn my data plan off and on on a monthly basis. I only turn mine on when traveling. I use the wifi at home to download books into iBooks, kindle app and overdrive app (this is how I access my public library's electronic book collection).

Catherine

NCGrandma
03-03-2012, 11:21 AM
I have the original iPad with 3G. I can turn my data plan off and on on a monthly basis. I only turn mine on when traveling. I use the wifi at home to download books into iBooks, kindle app and overdrive app (this is how I access my public library's electronic book collection).

Catherine

What has your experience been with Overdrive? That's what our library uses, too, and my friends have had mixed success -- some like it and others have had a lot of difficulty downloading books.

crl
03-03-2012, 11:34 AM
What has your experience been with Overdrive? That's what our library uses, too, and my friends have had mixed success -- some like it and others have had a lot of difficulty downloading books.

I should confess that I could not get the overdrive app itself to download. Dh ended up doing it for me and it involved using his computer which is super frustrating to me (I don't have a computer and dh takes his to work often so I hate things that require a computer).

I have had virtually no trouble downloading books. Out of hundreds I think I have had two that I couldn't get downloaded (mostly a problem because they were on hold and when I couldn't get them down loaded they disappeared from my account and I had to go back in line to get them again). Since my first iPad had battery issues and I got a new original iPad, I have had the overdrive app lock up on me several times. Dh thinks he can fix that for me, but we have not gotten around to trying yet.

Overall I am thrilled to have access to free books as I am a fast and avid reader and I can go through a book a day. If it weren't for the cost issue, I would just use the kindle app though because searching for books, etc is easier for me on amazon.

Catherine

BabyBearsMom
03-03-2012, 11:36 AM
I personally prefer the Kindle App to iBooks. It might be because I am used to my Kindle but it is easier to use for me. I have no trouble highlighting or note taking

Globetrotter
03-04-2012, 02:32 AM
I personally prefer the Kindle App to iBooks. It might be because I am used to my Kindle but it is easier to use for me. I have no trouble highlighting or note taking

Great, then I would probably just use the Kindle app.

I'm now thinking of getting a 16 GB ipad 2 with wifi, since we would using netflix to view movies, but it sounds like you need a wifi connection at the time you view them. If I tethered it to an iphone, would that work?

NCGrandma
03-04-2012, 09:21 AM
For those who use the Kindle app: the way I read the Amazon Prime free book borrowing (whatever it's called...), that only works with actual Kindle devices, not with an iPad. Is that true?

wellyes
03-04-2012, 09:44 AM
For Overdrive, I have to download to my PC, then transfer to the ipad. So if you don't have a mac/pc/laptop it might be tricky.

NCGrandma, yup, per Amazon is written to say it's for "Prime members who own Kindle devices". You have to have a Kindle registered to the same account as the Prime membership, and the books can't be read on the Kindle app - just a Kindle device.

pastrygirl
03-04-2012, 09:45 AM
For those who use the Kindle app: the way I read the Amazon Prime free book borrowing (whatever it's called...), that only works with actual Kindle devices, not with an iPad. Is that true?

Correct. But, the Kindle app works with regular library Kindle books, if your local library system offers them.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

crl
03-04-2012, 10:08 AM
For Overdrive, I have to download to my PC, then transfer to the ipad. So if you don't have a mac/pc/laptop it might be tricky.

Dh had to use a computer to download the app itself, but I am able to download books directly to my iPad.

Catherine

larig
03-04-2012, 11:05 AM
Great, then I would probably just use the Kindle app.

I'm now thinking of getting a 16 GB ipad 2 with wifi, since we would using netflix to view movies, but it sounds like you need a wifi connection at the time you view them. If I tethered it to an iphone, would that work?

you cannot tether without a plan for your iPhone that will allow it (without risking getting in trouble with your provider). At this point, aside from Sprint, you can't get a data plan that is unlimited. So, if you're tethering for streaming movies, you'd likely eat that data plan limit up pretty quickly.

If you have DVDs it is very easy to rip them to add them to your iPad, so I still would recommend a 32 gig at least.

larig
03-04-2012, 11:06 AM
NCGrandma, yup, per Amazon is written to say it's for "Prime members who own Kindle devices". You have to have a Kindle registered to the same account as the Prime membership, and the books can't be read on the Kindle app - just a Kindle device.

that is LAME!! Amazon, you used to be cool.

wellyes
03-04-2012, 11:36 AM
that is LAME!! Amazon, you used to be cool.
I think it's partly to get people to buy kindles, but partly to avoid the inevitable black market / sharing / slickdeal effect that would happen if they were more lenient.

trales
03-04-2012, 12:07 PM
I hate overdrive, I use it all the time, but the search function is terrible, it is a really badly written piece of software.

zukeypur
03-04-2012, 12:19 PM
If you have DVDs it is very easy to rip them to add them to your iPad, so I still would recommend a 32 gig at least.

how do you do this?

Globetrotter
03-06-2012, 01:23 PM
you cannot tether without a plan for your iPhone that will allow it (without risking getting in trouble with your provider). At this point, aside from Sprint, you can't get a data plan that is unlimited. So, if you're tethering for streaming movies, you'd likely eat that data plan limit up pretty quickly.

really? I don't own many dvds so it would have to be streaming or something like that. I'm guessing we would need wifi to stream a movie from start to finish, not just for a download, right? Meaning.. I can't just download when I have a wifi connection and view it later when I don't? Man, this is getting complicated!

codex57
03-06-2012, 01:27 PM
how do you do this?

I use a computer program. It's not the greatest, but CNET always has a "deal of the day" post (or maybe it's every couple days?) but I saw it and it was free. I'm sure if you took the time to read reviews, you can find one for like $30 that works great. To me, that's totally worth it cuz kids tend to destroy discs.

peanut520
03-06-2012, 01:41 PM
woohoo to getting a new ipad!

i have the ipad2 3G (at&t) with 32gb and wish i got the 64gb because i am lazy and dont really want to manage my video library and i never know what dd wants to watch, but that's me.

as far as data plans it is nice to have, but honestly if i got my iphone4s before my ipad i think i would have skipped it and put the $ towards the 64gb. it is $15/250mb, $30/3gb, and $50/5gb that you can turn on at any point and renews every 30days unless you cancel. it is nice for travelling so you are not stuck with crazy hotel internet fees.

larig
03-06-2012, 05:09 PM
how do you do this?

see this thread, #49, (http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=358942&highlight=handbrake+dvds+movies&page=5)

Handbrake, the software I mention is free, and I think its great. I've never tried to rip blueray...we don't have them.

larig
03-06-2012, 06:42 PM
really? I don't own many dvds so it would have to be streaming or something like that. I'm guessing we would need wifi to stream a movie from start to finish, not just for a download, right? Meaning.. I can't just download when I have a wifi connection and view it later when I don't? Man, this is getting complicated!

You can stream netflix via wifi. You can't download netflix movies and watch them later. I have also streamed netflix via 3G on my AT&T iphone, DH and I have unlimited iphone data plans.

You can rent movies from itunes, I think, but we haven't really done that, so I can't tell you how that works.

we usually buy them from itunes and they download, and then they live in your itunes library.

zukeypur
03-06-2012, 10:45 PM
Thanks larig!