PDA

View Full Version : Wow - AAC devices

niccig
03-03-2012, 08:08 PM
No real reason to post this, but just wanted to share. Yesterday in my Augmentative and Alternative Communication class I tried out a speech generating device using my eyes to move the cursor and blink to click. Seriously, "Wow" to type an email with only moving your eyes. I was really slow at doing it, but with time, I can see that you would improve in speed and accuracy.

There's some very cool technology out there.

WatchingThemGrow
03-03-2012, 08:21 PM
Oh, that's cool. Can you post a link so we can see it?

pb&j
03-03-2012, 08:52 PM
My DH used to work with that kind of technology. He worked with the Erica eye gaze system which has since been acquired by Dynavox - I think it might now be called eye max? It's really amazing, and has lots of applications beyond assistive devices - we used it in a systems engineering class I took in grad school to study software usability.

niccig
03-03-2012, 09:47 PM
Oh, that's cool. Can you post a link so we can see it?

The rep. was from this company
http://www.tobii.com/

I used the Tobii C15 with the Ceye control, and they have several different software options. I can't remember exactly what software I used, as there were several on the computer.
http://www.tobii.com/en/assistive-technology/north-america/products/hardware/

She said it can also be programmed to work anything with a remote control including lights, AC, beds - your whole house can be wired to it.

It's expensive. What she showed us was about $10,000 but for someone who can't communicate, it lets them do so much. She told us about several clients that work through this software. It's the most expensive they have, but there's cheaper options depending on someone's needs. They may not need the top of the line model.

Each week we're going to have different companies show us their products. I'm a bit of a computer geek, so it is definitely a fun class. Surprising thing is, no one wanted to volunteer. Maybe too shy. I was jumping out of my seat to be able to drive the computer with only my eyes.

niccig
03-03-2012, 09:49 PM
My DH used to work with that kind of technology. He worked with the Erica eye gaze system which has since been acquired by Dynavox - I think it might now be called eye max? It's really amazing, and has lots of applications beyond assistive devices - we used it in a systems engineering class I took in grad school to study software usability.

I should get to see this. The Dynavox rep is coming in a few weeks.

I have to create a speech generating device. It's just in powerpoint, but we're to think about who our client is, make picture cards and then record the words. When you click on the pictures, the words are said. Rather than do a generic adult, as most people have done in the past, I'm going to use a 7yo boy as my client. I'm going to work out the things he needs to say, find pictures and then record DS's voice saying the words (kids like to hear a kids voice rather than an adult in a SGD). It'll be things like "I want to play beyblades." "I want to watch Ninjago cartoon." "Can I have a hug." "I want to drink milk."