PDA

View Full Version : Do you make bday treat bags gender specific?

PAfirsttimemom
03-03-2012, 09:00 PM
We invited mostly boys to DS1's upcoming birthday party, but there will be a few girls. I was going to put Lego sets in the favor bags. Can I give them to all, or should I buy something different for the girls? The sets are the 3-in-1 building sets in various models--transportation themed--or racecar sets. I plan to put candy in the bags, as well. Not sure if anything else. WWYD?

hillview
03-03-2012, 09:04 PM
I don't

HIU8
03-03-2012, 09:06 PM
I don't. My friend is not only making them gender specific, but person specific. I do not and would not go to all that trouble personally.

ett
03-03-2012, 09:09 PM
I don't

:yeahthat:

crl
03-03-2012, 09:25 PM
No, I have never made them gender specific. (I once made them age specific because there were a bunch of three year olds and two babies under a year at the party.) I would hate to do the extra work, plus I would hate to hear one of the recipients saying how they liked the other bag better, etc. I think Legos are totally gender neutral anyway.

Catherine

kijip
03-03-2012, 10:09 PM
No. One sized fits all party favors here. Last ones: at F's 3rd, guests picked a book from the bookstore the party was at. At T's 8th, everyone got a pack of origami paper with a sheet of space stickers tied to it with ribbon.

elephantmeg
03-03-2012, 11:16 PM
No, I do age specific if applicable (so far we have done family/family friend parties or a merging like our party today was and I'll do non-choking stuff for the under 2/3 crowd (depends on what it is!) but otherwise no.

ETA my DD would love a lego kit regardless of the theme!

lalasmama
03-03-2012, 11:34 PM
I tend to follow gender stereotypes when it's time for goody bags. That being said, we do small birthdays (maybe 3-4 girls, 1-2 boys), and making up 1-2 boy goody bags isn't hard when it's such a small group overall.

In our case this time, everyone received a Bag-o-crap: Mardi Gras beads (DD loves these-- pink, purple for girls, red, blue for boy), tattoos (Little Mermaid for girls, sports for boy), pencil with fun-shape eraser (flowers for girls, soccer eraser for boy), paddle balls (another beg from DD, all in red). I can't remember if anything else was in there. (Do I get my BBB membership taken away for giving a small B-o-C? DD begged!)

baymom
03-03-2012, 11:47 PM
I don't, either. But, if I know some younger siblings are coming, I try to make their's more age appropriate.

Seitvonzu
03-04-2012, 12:13 AM
another vote for age appropriate over gendered... this actually wasn't an issue until this year, as before preschool, all DD's friends were same aged girls :) i guess that's what happens when you meet all your friends at a breast feeding support group ;)

DebbieJ
03-04-2012, 12:21 AM
I no longer do goody bags, but when I did they were all the same.

dogmom
03-04-2012, 09:02 AM
I do, but that's due to my children. My DD only wants pink, princess stuff. (NOT my thing) and my DS want's nothing pink. But I didn't have gender specific stuff for guests when I did the whole class. I went to single sex parties early with my DD, because she saw my DS with all his male friends.

DietCokeLover
03-04-2012, 09:08 AM
I wouldn't in your case with Legos. But, I did with my DC's party. Tge girls' bags had red tutus and the boy's had red super hero capes. The other things were neutral.

Melaine
03-04-2012, 09:13 AM
I have done both. Usually most items are GN and then I throw in one or two gender specific items also. That's partially because I usually have random stuff from clearance for our goody bags. I think legos are great for boys and girls though.

MamaMolly
03-04-2012, 10:21 AM
I don't though for Lula's 4th I gave tinkerbell BOC. I gave the boys either blue or orange BOC stuffers: pencil, note pad, compass rings, stickers. One of the moms complained that I gave her son Tinkerbell. So you never know how people are going to take things.

nupe
03-04-2012, 10:23 AM
A few times I've done bags that work for both, along with a sticker book (girl boy) or book (age appropriate) that may be more girl or boy oriented. I hand the child a bag and a book separately. That was because I couldn't find enough of any one generic type of book.

Jai
03-04-2012, 01:08 PM
I do. I also do age specific.

ellies mom
03-04-2012, 01:50 PM
I don't always do BOC. Generally, I have a craft activity that the kids take home or maybe a larger single item such as a book. And even if the theme is girly, the activities and favors tend to be more gender neutral.

The only time I made "child specific" BOC was for a party for DD1. The party was right before Halloween and we had a pumpkin carving party. One family didn't celebrate Halloween so I just made sure their gift bags had generic pumpkins crap rather than Halloween pumpkin crap.

For DD2's party this year we are having a lalaloopsy theme and I may make a point of making sure the boys get a boy lalaloopsy pencil topper but that is about as far as I will go.

PAfirsttimemom
03-07-2012, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the input, everyone!