PDA

View Full Version : Radian or Safety First Go?

andbabymakes3
03-03-2012, 11:10 PM
I'm moving DD out of a RF Roundabout in our second car, a Volvo S40, because she's just too crammed into it now. I plan to FF her (she's 2 1/2 and big, but not sure of her measurements right now) but need the seat to be narrow as I need to occasionally fit DS1 into the center space, which is very tight. I had planned to get a Radian but I also have DS2 in a Safety First Go on the other outboard position and suddenly wondered, 'why am I not getting DD a Go?' Because it'd certainly be a lot cheaper. I had also thought maybe it'd be worth getting the new Radian that converts to a booster but then read on carseat.org a negative review about the booster function. Help me out here. I think I have serious mommy brain. I realize the Go and the Radian are sort of light years apart, and yet they suddenly seem interchangeable. Are they??

By the way, not FF'ing the Roundabout because DS1 couldn't fit in the center next to it with the wide head area.

epiclesis
03-06-2012, 01:02 AM
I don't know the specs of your kiddos, so I may not be giving an accurate recommendation.

I'm assuming your son1 is in just a seatbelt?

A Go isn't an ideal seat unless there is no other option for your situation/travel seat/etc.. So I wouldn't purchase a second.

Personally, I'd find a way to continue RFing the 2.5 year old, maybe in a Radian or something else, depending on child's size.
However, if you have the son in a Go, I would want to put him in the center, since it's the most protected location and there's not any side impact protection for him in that.

If you choose to not continue RFing, then a Radian and a Britax facing the same direction puzzle very well, so that's a thought.

HIU8
03-06-2012, 08:50 AM
I have a GO that I used for DS and now for DD in our second car. At 2 1/2 though I would not be comfortable using it. DD was 3 1/2 when she got the seat.

andbabymakes3
03-06-2012, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the replies! It's a second car that the kids aren't in much, and my oldest is in the middle when he's in it because he can use just the seatbelt. Some time ago I tried to find a 3-across solution that included a backless booster for DS1 (10 years old, 5'2", about 85 lbs) and could not do it in this car, and I seem to recall that it basically wasn't an option to put DS1 in an outer position (I wanted to since it would be more comfortable for him) because I couldn't get two car seats side by side in the back, even using a Radian next to the Go.

The car is a Volvo S40--I believe it has some side impact protection. But I will probably just get a Radian for DD. I guess this is my original point--the Radian certainly seems better than the Go, particularly for a younger kid, but I'm not sure I really get why. Just the side impact protection? Either way they are harnessed...

As for RFing DD in a Radian, it was never possible in the Volvo, especially in the outboard position, although recently I saw something about an angle adjuster that might help? Can't imagine how that works or if it'd be enough. Still, since the kids aren't in the car much and it's a company car I need the front passenger to not be limited by a car seat.

HIU8
03-06-2012, 12:28 PM
The GO that DD uses (she is almost 5 now) is in DH's car. She rides in his car 3-4 times a month at most. What I don't like for more frequent use is the back is just a piece of material and the headwings slide around A LOT. I constantly have to readjust them to make sure they are near her head. The seat is great for very occasional use and for a child a little older IMO. I do like that it will eventually become a decent backless booster for my kids to use.

Joolsplus2
03-06-2012, 01:49 PM
I'd go with the Go if you like it enough. Radian's better for sleeping, but if it's for infrequent trips, I don't think it's a big deal that the Go is bad for sleeping/headflop.

andbabymakes3
03-06-2012, 02:18 PM
Thanks all! :love5: