PDA

View Full Version : how do i get rid of these bugs??

♥ms.pacman♥
03-04-2012, 01:18 AM
i dont' know what they're called...they look like giant daddy-long legs that have wings and can fly around. giant mosquito? Mosquito eater? i googled and some sites say it's a crane fly (though i'm in north Texas, not in Pacific NW where they are supposedly from).

Anyway, recently there have been a ton of these hanging around the front of our house..they seem to hang out right by the door, so i open the door for like two seconds to go check the mail, and like 3 or 4 fly inside the house! :( Ugh!

DH & I must have killed at least 3 each yesterday..and tonight i just saw one flying around. Ugh. They are starting to freak DS out too. DH doesn't seem to be as bothered, but i DETEST bugs/insects. I do not care if they are harmless or whatever...I do not want these things flying around my house at night!!

Anyway, any suggestions? We have an exterminator service that comes quarterly, so we have no problems whatsoever with other bugs (ants, spiders, roaches or whatever)..just these pesky things that seem to be hanging around and fly in whenever we open the door!

mjs64
03-04-2012, 02:13 AM
No suggestions, but I know of them as " mosquito hawks," and supposedly they're "good bugs," as in they eat Mosquitos and other worse insects. Used to have them like crazy when I lived in TX. I think they might be attracted to light? Anyhow, try googling mosquito hawk.

infomama
03-04-2012, 03:04 AM
I'm not sure if the logistics would work for you but when we camp we always run an oscillating fan to blow away the mosquitoes. No chemicals, not much effort...worth a shot.

Aishe
03-04-2012, 03:14 AM
No suggestions, but I know of them as " mosquito hawks," and supposedly they're "good bugs," as in they eat Mosquitos and other worse insects. Used to have them like crazy when I lived in TX. I think they might be attracted to light? Anyhow, try googling mosquito hawk.

:yeahthat: We call them skeeter eaters (eloquent, I know). We leave them alone because they really do seem to help keep the mosquito population in check.

twowhat?
03-04-2012, 09:31 AM
It's the season. They'll be gone in a month or two. They're easy to catch when they stop to rest on walls. Our biggest challenge is the sheer terror displayed by the girls when they see one!!

One thing you can do is to keep the lights off around exterior doors because thet are attracted to light. That will reducebthe numbers that make it into the house.

♥ms.pacman♥
03-04-2012, 10:57 AM
It's the season. They'll be gone in a month or two. They're easy to catch when they stop to rest on walls. Our biggest challenge is the sheer terror displayed by the girls when they see one!!

One thing you can do is to keep the lights off around exterior doors because thet are attracted to light. That will reducebthe numbers that make it into the house.

that makes sense. i guess they always hang out by the door bc we have exterior light on..and then they fly in to a lighted house.

and when they get in my DS always points to them "that's a big bug! that's a big bug!" and then when i try to swat it and it flies off, he thinks it's HILARIOUS, like it's some sort of game.

MommyofAmaya
03-04-2012, 11:06 AM
We are under attack by these here in Houston too. I can't open the door without at least one getting in. Sad to say that the mosquito eating is mostly a myth though.

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crane_fly

Snow mom
03-04-2012, 11:35 AM
Yes, they are crane flies and they don't eat mosquitoes. We've had a lot around the house this spring too. Your best bet is not having lights on outside, especially the porch lights right next to your door. If it's evening and your porch light is on they'll gather around your door and come in when you open. They are completely harmless so honestly I just ignore them. I worry more about the actual mosquitoes which will be out in force soon and carry all kinds of nastiness.

mjs64
03-05-2012, 12:15 AM
They do sell light bulbs meant to be not as attractive to bugs--they look like yellow glass but when illuminated look like regular light bulbs. Try those on your patio?

Aishe
03-05-2012, 03:00 AM
We are under attack by these here in Houston too. I can't open the door without at least one getting in. Sad to say that the mosquito eating is mostly a myth though.

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crane_fly

Well, shoot. I guess I just believe what I want to believe!