PDA

View Full Version : does this sound like TMJ?

♥ms.pacman♥
03-04-2012, 09:09 PM
i tried to do a search but it won't let me search for TMJ (too short).

anyway, for the past month or two i've been getting almost daily headaches. i don't think a day goes by without me getting some sort of headache. i think some of it was stress-related, because my DS, DD and I had like 3 back-to-back illnesses ( i had 2 sinus infections and had to take antiobiotics twice), DH had to be go out of town, and i was just feeling overwhelmed and depressed.

I started going on a gluten free diet about a month ago. i lost 8 lbs without barely trying, but i noticed my headaches got worse, not better. Also, my headaches seem to be like this burning pain behind my eyes, and around my cheekbones. It's like my face hurts. Almost like a sinus headache. it's different from other headaches i've had before.

at my parents house last week, i noticed a headache worsening considerbly after i chewed gum. i then started to lay off the crunchy/chewy foods. today, i almost had no headaches, but then after eating some almonds i soon after got burning pain behind my eyes. :( I suddenly realised that since going gluten free, i have been eating a TON of almonds, crunchy stuff (nut-thins, rice crackers, etc).

anyway, i have not gone to the dentist in over a year :bag...just too busy with life and the kids. i scheduled an appt with my dentist on Thurs, wonder what they will say...

also, was wondering if anybody has any suggestions for relief? i tried using a nightguard i bought at walgreens, and i took it out after like 10 mins, it made my jaw hurt more!

eta: one crazy thing- it often hurts to smile!! how depressing is that?? it would almost be funny if it wasn't so painful! also, i get pain in one ear too. i thought it was sinus related, or i had some sort of ear infection, and even saw an ENT for it, since i was getting all of these sinus infections. the DR looked at my ear and said it looked just a little irritated but was not infected at all. i am actually getting a CT scan tomorrow to check out my sinuses. but now i read that ear pain can be caused by TMJ...

eta2: when i was in grad school, long time ago, a dentist told me i grind my teeth at night, bc of some wear on my teeth. i got a custom made mouthguard, and while it was weird at first, i swear it helped me sleep better. i don't know why i stopped using it a few years ago. but that was more than 5 years ago..i'm sure my teeth are different now. also, the custom one was soo much more comfortable than the generic Walgreens one.

veronica
03-04-2012, 09:12 PM
yes, sounds a lot like it. I clench during the day and grind in my sleep. I've suffered from bad TMJ for more than ten years. during my bad flare ups, I wake up and the best way to describe it is that "my face hurts and feels like it will explode". Sounds a lot like what you are experiencing.

lay off of the crunchy (obviously), no gum ever. Take some ibuprofen and put a warm compress on your jaw. it will help the pain. hope you feel better soon.

ETA: I am a firm believer that those huge rubber guards at the stores are the devil. I have a custom made mouth piece that goes on over my top teeth and basically ensures that when I bit down/grind, that all of the surfaces meet . it doesn't stop the grinding (nothing really can) but it protects my teeth from damage.

at your appointment, your dentist will easily be able to see any damage from possible grinding/clenching and will also be able to see if you have an even bite or not.

♥ms.pacman♥
03-04-2012, 10:30 PM
thanks for the reply! i do hope the dentist appt will help. i will try the warm compress. i was putting ice on my eyes/cheeks bc they felt really burning but i guess i will try the warm compress on the jaw area.

twowhat?
03-04-2012, 10:31 PM
Dig out the custom one and see if it still fits. If it feels really tight then you probably need another one...but it's worth trying - maybe it will still fit!

I clench and grind, and a custom mouthguard definitely impacts my quality of sleep! In fact, I need to get a new one because I've worn through my mouthguard so much that it's cracked in a couple of places now.

♥ms.pacman♥
03-05-2012, 09:40 AM
Dig out the custom one and see if it still fits. If it feels really tight then you probably need another one...but it's worth trying - maybe it will still fit!

i did actually find it, tried it on and while it fits, it's REALLY tight so i am going to try to get another one. hope my insurance covers part of it, if not, oh well...it's worth it anyway!!

janeybwild
03-05-2012, 11:22 AM
While waiting for your dentist to see you, for symptom relief you could try a hot pack over your neck. Do some gentle neck stretching, and chin tucks. Really work on your posture and stress relief. A light face/cheek/temple and neck massage will help relax everything. Good luck.

DietCokeLover
03-05-2012, 11:29 AM
I agree with Veronica. I have TMJ and I have similar symptoms. I can not chew gum at all or I have an immediate flare up. Also, some Sundays at church, all the singing can cause pain.

Make ibuprofen your friend and definitely limit the crunchy, chewy foods.

Stress can also cause my face/ jaw to hurt because of the tension. Also, your sinuses are right there by that joint, so the infections have probably aggravated the situation.

Hope your dentist can give you some help.