PDA

View Full Version : Blenders

lhafer
03-04-2012, 10:09 PM
I can't decide between the Blendtec or the Vitamix. I've looked at all the past threads. I've read all the reviews online. I still can't decide. And for that much money, I need to make a decision!!

I want to use it for making smoothies (green/fruit/etc) most of the time. We currently use a juicer, and I would like to just use a blender instead for the fiber. We like really smooth smoothies - and with our current old blender, I always have strawberry/raspberry/blackberry seeds throughout my smoothie, which I hate.

Can you help me decide?? I would probably get it at Costco, as I hear they tend to have the best deals.

vludmilla
03-04-2012, 10:29 PM
I have a Blendtec and love it!

Tondi G
03-05-2012, 12:30 AM
we have a vitamix and love it. It makes great smoothies!

nellonello
03-05-2012, 12:33 AM
We went with Blendtec as it is a better fit under our cupboards for storage. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

baboki
03-05-2012, 01:11 AM
I went with the Blendtec, for a few reasons. It was a little bit cheaper, but more importantly, it was shorter and squatter, so it fits in my dishwasher better and it's easier to clean. Other than that, the two of them are very similar.

wellyes
03-05-2012, 08:06 AM
Costco now sells a Vitamix with a shorter container - it's this one: http://www.amazon.com/Vitamix-5200c-WARRANTY-Variable-Countertop/dp/B004F9L4EI but they charge > $400.

lhafer
03-08-2012, 02:04 PM
For those with a Vitamix blender - is there a difference between the current 5200 series and the CIA Professional series ones (specifically the 1709 or 1365)?

I am debating the Vitamix and would like to buy it at bed bath and beyond with a 20% coupon. But my BBB only has the CIA Professional series ones. Just wondering what the differences are.

09Mom
03-08-2012, 02:39 PM
Is there a big difference between Vitamix/Blendtec and the Ninja Kitchen System?

lhafer
03-08-2012, 03:32 PM
Is there a big difference between Vitamix/Blendtec and the Ninja Kitchen System?

That's what I'm trying to figure out.

I bought the Ninja Professional NJ600 series (http://www.amazon.com/Ninja-Blender-NJ600-XL-Black/dp/B003VWXXXK/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1331234986&sr=8-8) at Bed Bath and Beyond yesterday using a 20% off coupon.

So far it's working for me. I know the Vitamix is the KING of blenders, but I really don't want to spend that kind of money. But I'm used to using a juicer and juicing, so the consistancy of smoothies (to be super smooth) is important to me.

I'm trying various types of smoothies in my Ninja, and today I like it better than yesterday's concoction. But I'm still not 100% in love with the texture of the smoothie.

To quell my doubts, I might have to go buy the Vitamix and test them out side by side and return the Ninja if the Vitamix is THAT much better. If not, then the Ninja is adequate for smoothie making.

09Mom
03-08-2012, 03:46 PM
I'm looking to try the one Costco has on sale this week. It's the Ninja Kitchen system 1100. I think it's this one
http://www.amazon.com/Ninja-Kitchen-System-1100-Model/dp/B004UR1FFS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331235837&sr=8-1

What is it about the consistency that you don't like?

lhafer
03-08-2012, 04:14 PM
I'm looking to try the one Costco has on sale this week. It's the Ninja Kitchen system 1100. I think it's this one
http://www.amazon.com/Ninja-Kitchen-System-1100-Model/dp/B004UR1FFS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331235837&sr=8-1

What is it about the consistency that you don't like?

I don't want to have to "chew" anything in a smoothie. Yesterday's trial I don't think I ran the machine long enough. It was chunkier than I had anticipated. Yesterday was banana, orange, pear, peach, yogurt, and some milk.

But today I tried it with fresh leaf spinach, whole apples (quartered), frozen strawberries and blueberries, some ice and water and ran the machine for a little longer, and it was a lot smoother. Not velvet mind you, but much more doable than yesterday.

Melaine
03-12-2012, 02:58 PM
I'm also thinking about the Ninja from Costco....there is a coupon out right now apparently? 09Mom, how much was it at your store?

I frankly want a Vitamix but our blender is shot (only works sporadically) and we do not have $300+ to burn.

lhafer
03-12-2012, 03:09 PM
I'm also thinking about the Ninja from Costco....there is a coupon out right now apparently? 09Mom, how much was it at your store?

I frankly want a Vitamix but our blender is shot (only works sporadically) and we do not have $300+ to burn.

Well, after having an incident with my Ninja I returned it to Bed Bath and Beyond. It seems that I didn't put the blade housing on right, or didn't put the lid on right or something (never felt any different) and the top of the blade column ate through the plastic on the lid! I don't know if I had a defective machine, or what. But I took it as a sign that I should have just gone with what I really wanted.

So I got the Vitamix CIA Professional Series blender from Bed Bath and Beyond. Between returning the Ninja and using a 20% off coupon, it was about $320.

I got it late yesterday and have only made a smoothie in it so far. OMG. What a difference. It was strawberry (a lot of them), a banana, some greek yogurt, and some milk. The texture was SOO creamy and smooth. Hardly ANY strawberry seeds at all. Exactly like what I have been looking for.

I had a berry smoothie made from a Blentec from my gym last week - I couldn't finish it because of all the strawberry seeds. I really really disliked it.

I made several smoothies in the Ninja, and if I ran it longer, the seeds were way better (smaller) than the Blendtec one, but they were still there in every sip.

In the vitamix, it was about every 4th sip or so before I got any seeds, and what I did get were very very small. The consistancy of the smoothie itself was super smooth and velvety. With the Ninja, it was mor pulpy.

If you can't afford the Vitamix (and it killed me to spend that much money, but even after 1 smoothie, I can tell it will be worth it to me), then the Ninja is a good alternative.

Here are a couple of pictures
https://picasaweb.google.com/110534459920970123606/Smoothies#5719091640045381362

09Mom
03-12-2012, 04:01 PM
It was 119 (before coupon) and has lots of cool attachments that *maybe* I will use. The model I have will not work if everything (base, blade, lid) is not properly installed. The Power button flashes red. I've been very happy with it.

lhafer
03-12-2012, 04:17 PM
It was 119 (before coupon) and has lots of cool attachments that *maybe* I will use. The model I have will not work if everything (base, blade, lid) is not properly installed. The Power button flashes red. I've been very happy with it.

That's what I had as well. http://www.amazon.com/Ninja-Blender-NJ600-XL-Black/dp/B003VWXXXK/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1331582710&sr=8-6

Here's what it did - I added pictures to my previous web album:

https://picasaweb.google.com/110534459920970123606/Smoothies?authkey=Gv1sRgCOTtw76gko69UA#57191065698 02709090

Pyrodjm
03-12-2012, 06:15 PM
We got a Vitamix on Friday. We have spent the past few days making various smoothies and yesterday I used it to make a frappuccino and churn butter. I'm totally in love with that thing. Even DH that scoffed at the price is very impressed. It was a big investment for us but I think it is worth it. I made several berry filled smoothies and only a few raspberry seeds remained after blending. Strawberry seeds were taken care of nicely. My main reason for buying it was the green smoothies. It makes spinach undetectable, nothing to chew at all. This is great since I'm a big baby but need to get my veggies in.

I chose the Vitamix over the Blendtec lots of research. Overall, the VM seemed to have slightly better reviews. The reviews and the tamper made me choose it. That tamper has come in mighty handy a couple of times already. I saw a few videos of people having to open up and push stuff down in the Blendtec.

baboki
03-12-2012, 06:17 PM
Wow! Tell me about churning butter!

Pyrodjm
03-12-2012, 06:42 PM
Wow! Tell me about churning butter!

It was fast and super easy. I got to use up some heavy cream we had. I had never tasted fresh butter, so it was a big treat for me.

Here is a video with instructions. I watched this and followed his directions.
http://community.vitamix.com/_Food-Feat-45-Butter/video/347321/22442.html

baboki
03-12-2012, 06:52 PM
Thanks! I'm going to check it out.