PDA

View Full Version : Converible Seat recommendation for 95th percentile baby

rileysmom
03-05-2012, 01:16 PM
My DD is 5 mo old and is 18+lb already. She's 95th percentile for both height and weight so I'm looking for recommendations for convertible seats for her. Space is not an issue in the car (yay!) and I would like to rear face her as long as possible. I have ODD's Britax Diplomat I can put her in for now, but she will outgrow that thing really fast I'm sure. Thanks for the recommendations!

ETA: We do move our seat between 2 cars so I would like one that is easy to install/uninstall.

philyre
03-05-2012, 01:44 PM
My son is not quite 4.5 months and 22 lbs, and 29"... I feel your pain! If space were not a problem, we would be getting another Radian for him, as we've really loved it for our toddler. Installing the Radian and uninstalling takes a bit of practice, but I haven't found it hard once I've gotten used to it!

legaleagle
03-05-2012, 04:54 PM
I second the radian, though the new peg perego convertible looks great (and easier to install) - http://carseatblog.com/16793/peg-perego-primo-viaggio-sip-5-70-convertible-review/

That said, I would strongly consider getting 2 seats to avoid hassle, installation issues and accidentally getting stranded without the seat.

rileysmom
03-05-2012, 05:08 PM
Speaking of getting stranded without a seat. I accidentally left the seats in the other car so I am stuck today without seats. :( So I guess to add to this question, whhat would be a good second car seat for both this baby and a tall 3 year old?

legaleagle
03-05-2012, 09:55 PM
Oh, bummer about getting stuck at home! How often will they be used in the other car? What is the other car?

rileysmom
03-05-2012, 10:30 PM
They would be used on the weekends in the other car. That is a 2010 Subaru Outback so it has decent room for the seats as well.

epiclesis
03-06-2012, 01:15 AM
She's pretty young yet - I would use the Diplomat until she outgrows it, then if she's still on a high percentile growing pattern, look into a Radian.

My son has always been pretty big, and he just outgrew the Diplomat at 18 months.

For the additional seats, I'd probably get the Apt (while on sale at Target) for the baby, giving her 40lbs RF, which should get her to at least 2 years old, even if she's fairly tall. For the 3 year old, assuming she's of average height/weight, I'd get the new Secure Kid, for around $100/110, and it would last a good long time and could be passed down to the baby eventually. :)

rileysmom
03-06-2012, 03:15 PM
What is the Apt??

Joolsplus2
03-06-2012, 05:28 PM
Super brand new seat, just came out, $40 at Target last week (not sure this week). It's kind of a bulky scenera, looks like a Graco My Ride. Major bugaboo about it, though, is that my friend just put her big 2 yo in it and there was no growing room for him! Strangely low top slots...Anyway, I guess I'd look more at seats for the 3 yo and hand down the convertibles (Evenflo Secure Kid is a nice alternative to the Frontier for a second car, it just came out at BRU and Baby Depot, under $150)

epiclesis
03-06-2012, 06:43 PM
Super brand new seat, just came out, $40 at Target last week (not sure this week). It's kind of a bulky scenera, looks like a Graco My Ride. Major bugaboo about it, though, is that my friend just put her big 2 yo in it and there was no growing room for him! Strangely low top slots...Anyway, I guess I'd look more at seats for the 3 yo and hand down the convertibles (Evenflo Secure Kid is a nice alternative to the Frontier for a second car, it just came out at BRU and Baby Depot, under $150)

Ugh, I had no idea the slots were different. I thought they were identical except for the cupholders.

AshleyAnn
03-06-2012, 07:45 PM
DD is 2yrs old and is 105th for height. We love our Truefit Premier. She has tons of growing room in it even though shes outgrown the tribute and scenera (both spare seats). She still has about 4.5 inches of RFing growing room and is 34lbs. Its also wider than britax and the radian so she wont be so squished when she gets even bigger. I expect she will fit in this seat til shes ready for a booster.

For a spare I found the scenera to be hair taller than the tribute and about the same in every other way. At $40 I feel we got out $ worth before she outgrew it. I intend to replace it to a FF only seat that is taller and will become a booster.

epiclesis
03-07-2012, 03:17 AM
DD is 2yrs old and is 105th for height. We love our Truefit Premier. She has tons of growing room in it even though shes outgrown the tribute and scenera (both spare seats). She still has about 4.5 inches of RFing growing room and is 34lbs. Its also wider than britax and the radian so she wont be so squished when she gets even bigger. I expect she will fit in this seat til shes ready for a booster.

For a spare I found the scenera to be hair taller than the tribute and about the same in every other way. At $40 I feel we got out $ worth before she outgrew it. I intend to replace it to a FF only seat that is taller and will become a booster.

But she's going to outgrow the TF rear faced in 1 pound. The TF only rear faces to 35lbs.

AshleyAnn
03-07-2012, 07:39 PM
But she's going to outgrow the TF rear faced in 1 pound. The TF only rear faces to 35lbs.

Yes I know this, I am a tech. But considering most seats are outgrown by height than weight it is important to note my 105th percentile still has considerable room for height growth. There are not many seats that offer that kind of growing room. Also, weight gain slows in the todddler years significantly. She has only gained a lb and a half in the past year, so that 1 lb could last a while.

epiclesis
03-08-2012, 06:54 PM
Yes I know this, I am a tech. But considering most seats are outgrown by height than weight it is important to note my 105th percentile still has considerable room for height growth. There are not many seats that offer that kind of growing room. Also, weight gain slows in the todddler years significantly. She has only gained a lb and a half in the past year, so that 1 lb could last a while.

Sorry, the way I read your post, I was thinking you meant "oh, she has 4.5 inches to go!" :shy: