PDA

View Full Version : How do you wash your fruits/berries?

FTMLuc
03-05-2012, 03:18 PM
Question sparked by a visit to my distant cousin who washed blueberries for DD with dishsoap to “wash off all the nitrates.” I have never thought of washing my fruits and especially berries with soap. Usually I just use water. If something like an apple has that waxy stuff, I peel it after washing. We do have similar parenting styles/values, so maybe she is onto something? I am hoping that the BBB wisdom will shed some light on it.

mikala
03-05-2012, 03:22 PM
Uhhhhhh, maybe I'm missing something but I didn't think berries had nitrates? I know nitrates are prevalent in lunchmeats but don't normally associate them with fruit. I can see washing the berries to remove pesticide residues, dirt, etc. but that particular phrase is new to me. I currently just wash them thoroughly in a colander with lots of running water and a little friction but planned to ask a similar question before we get to fresh produce season again. I also try to buy organic when we can but they tend to be so darn expensive.

waitingforgrace
03-05-2012, 03:26 PM
I answered just water but some fruits like oranges, melons and lemons I do wash the outside with soap before cutting. I do it so the knife isn't contaminated with dirt or germs from the rind when I cut through it. If I remember correctly this is how people got sick with salmonella from cantaloupe.

FTMLuc
03-05-2012, 03:30 PM
melons ... I do wash the outside with soap before cutting. I do it so the knife isn't contaminated with dirt or germs from the rind when I cut through it. If I remember correctly this is how people got sick with salmonella from cantaloupe.

Oh, I do that too. For some reason I always forget that melons are considered fruit. :bag

SnuggleBuggles
03-05-2012, 03:38 PM
Nitrates are in soil, right? Isn't that the reason they (used to?) recommend not making your own home made baby food carrots- you can't control the nitrate levels?

Anyway, I just use water.

Smillow
03-05-2012, 03:40 PM
I have tried in the past to wash apples with dish soap and then they taste like dish soap so I don't do that. I would never wash berries with soap. I have heard that using vinegar to rinse helps them last longer, but we just wash just prior to eating.

SoloMelody
03-05-2012, 03:41 PM
Interesting...I use only water. Because I think a lot of berries etc get pressure washed before packaging to remove dirt/grime.

Back home grandma used to wash/sit grapes in salt water to help remove the pesticides sprayed on. As I write this up I should probably rinse grapes, cherries, berries in salt water......

I have never used dish soap though...thats new to me.

marymoo86
03-05-2012, 03:51 PM
Running water

Dishsoap isn't safe for human consumption and fruits/veggies can soak up some of the detergent

elbenn
03-05-2012, 03:54 PM
I sometimes use just water, but sometimes I spray a little vinegar on fruits and then wash it off with water.

sntm
03-05-2012, 04:13 PM
just water, but I only buy organic fruits (especially berries) so the main issue is bacteria.

pantrygirl
03-05-2012, 04:26 PM
Sometimes I just rinse with water but I make an effort to rinse most of my fruit and veggies with water and produce wash from BioKleen. They make a non-toxic wash.

maestramommy
03-05-2012, 04:32 PM
Salt water. Don't know why. But my mom washes all cluster fruit (including grapes) this way. One of my Taiwanese friends does this too, so maybe it's an Asian thing?

lchang25000
03-05-2012, 05:09 PM
Salt water. Don't know why. But my mom washes all cluster fruit (including grapes) this way. One of my Taiwanese friends does this too, so maybe it's an Asian thing?

I was told to wash most fruit with salt water too, but I don't...

FTMLuc
03-05-2012, 05:25 PM
Running water

Dishsoap isn't safe for human consumption and fruits/veggies can soak up some of the detergent

That is what I thought, hense the question to BBB.

FTMLuc
03-05-2012, 05:27 PM
For the salt water wash - is there a magic proportion of salt to water? Thank you all for your responses.

Penny's Pappa
03-05-2012, 05:45 PM
Detergents are used to help wash away materials that don't readily dissolve in water (e.g. oils). Nitrates are freely soluble in water, so using a detergent is entirely unnecessary. Just use running water.

maestramommy
03-05-2012, 05:47 PM
For the salt water wash - is there a magic proportion of salt to water? Thank you all for your responses.

I doubt it. I just do as my mom did. Sprinkle directly from the can, then submerge in water and soak for a few minutes.

PSA. For freshly picked very ripe strawberries, don't soak more than a couple of minutes. Otherwise they will become quite runny.