PDA

View Full Version : What setting is your vacuum on?

okinawama
03-05-2012, 06:55 PM
My DH and I don't agree on this. I have always set the vacuum on the second to lowest setting ( I think it's something like "very short carpet/berber"....but not to the "bare floor setting"), regardless of what I'm vacuuming. My husband thinks that since we have longer carpet, that we should use the higher setting (or "longer carpet) setting. I don't think the higher settings to as good of a job. My DH doesn't agree, and he also thinks that it's hard on the vacuum (which, I do see how that's possible, but I'm willing to ad a little wear onto the vacuum if it does a better job). I also feel like my cleaning lady is in my corner, because she always switches it to the lower setting if it's not set there already.

So, what setting do you use?

kijip
03-05-2012, 11:54 PM
I only have bare floor and carpet setting on our Dyson. Most of the vacuums I have owned just have that or no choice of settings. Different settings for different types of carpet sounds gimmicky to me. I don't think I would care or pay attention.

s7714
03-06-2012, 01:47 AM
Our Dyson is preset to the medium height setting. That's what we use on the majority of our carpets, except for area rugs and the berber-like carpet in our office.

The carpet height settings are supposed to either drop or raise the beater bars/brushes so that they touch the carpet appropriately allowing the brushes to not damage the carpet fibers. Using the low carpet setting on regular carpet (assuming the brushes are dropped lower) would cause the brush on your vacuum as well as the carpet fibers to more wear and tear. Adjusting the setting isn't going to increase or decrease the amount of suction, so your carpet isn't getting "cleaner" in that sense. The bare floor mode should turn off the brushes and only use suction. As always I'm sure YMMV depending on your particular vacuum however.