PDA

View Full Version : Miralax and Milk of Magnesia

happymom
03-05-2012, 07:14 PM
Dd is very constipated and my pediatrican just recommended that we give her both miralax and milk of magnesia. Can anyone tell me if they taste bad? Can I just mix them into water or do I need to try to mask the flavor somehow? I bought original flavor of the milk of magnesia.

Thanks!

MelissaTC
03-05-2012, 07:18 PM
Miralax dissolves in liquid. I mix it in for M daily in his oj in the am and milk at dinner. Not sure about the m.o.m.

happymom
03-05-2012, 07:23 PM
Miralax dissolves in liquid. I mix it in for M daily in his oj in the am and milk at dinner. Not sure about the m.o.m.

Thanks. I just googled about the m.o.m. and supposedly it tastes like liquid chalk and is terrible! Not sure how I am supposed to get DD to drink this....the directions say to drink the m.o.m. and then follow with a full 8oz glass of water. I imagine DD will take a tiny sip of the m.o.m. and refuse to drink the rest! Plus I dont think she will finish an 8oz drink after, especially since I'm already giving her the miralax in water. Help!

tmahanes
03-05-2012, 07:58 PM
I use a syringe and squirt it into B's mouth and he takes it fine. The miralax dissolves completely and has no taste supposedly. I can put it in just water and B drinks it fine.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

barkley1
03-05-2012, 08:07 PM
They have cherry flavored m.o.m. DS loves it. It is hard to het him to drink a lot ofvwater after each dose, but we just play games with the dosing cups, like how full can he fill it and how many can he drink.

happymom
03-05-2012, 09:08 PM
Well, MIL told me to try mixing it into chocolate milk. DD drank it all and asked for more :) She didn't really drink a full 8oz of water afterwards, but I'm hoping that's not too big of a deal (the ped didn't mention it). She also drank the Miralax without a problem. Thanks everyone!

lmintzer
03-05-2012, 10:09 PM
You can mix Miralax with water or juice. For it to really work well, the liquid (with medicine stirred in) needs to be consumed within a 30 minute time period.

If your child can't tolerate drinking 8 oz of liquid in a short amount of time, an alternative is to divide your dose of Miralax in two and dissolve in 4 oz of liquid. You can then space the two doses out (say, breakfast and dinner). This is preferable to your child nursing the full dose in 8 oz over a 1-2 hour period.