PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about offering private sewing lessons

kaitlyns.mom
03-05-2012, 08:25 PM
I'm thinking about offering private sewing lessons evenings/weekends and possibly some weekdays to bring in some extra money.

I have been sewing for three years, have an Etsy shop and would mainly focus on getting the person familiar with their machine, providing them with a supplies list for the future and showing them how to do a basic project like a tote bag, skirt, etc.

I was thinking somewhere between $40-$50 an hour.

Thoughts? Advice? Is going to their home better, or bringing them to mine? (I am leaning toward theirs.)

I have a few friends who have new machines that are still in the box. I already taught one of them how to use it... I figure there might be a lot of moms out there wanting to learn who don't want to take a class at Jo-Ann.

anonomom
03-05-2012, 09:00 PM
I think it's a very cool idea, and I am sure that you would be well worth the $40-50 an hour. But to be frank, I would have a hard time spending that much money for any kind of hobby-type lesson. I know that I tend to be cheap, but I'd have a hard time justifying more than $20 or so.

That said, I have never looked into sewing lessons, so I don't know the going rate or what the market will bear. Feel free to take my opinion with a grain of salt.

knaidel
03-05-2012, 09:06 PM
I have taken sewing lessons before. I have used 3 different teachers in different geographic locales. I always went to the teachers house and learned on her machine. Usually, the teacher herself had a high end machine (husqvarna, Pfaff, Bernina, etc) and had a Janome or something for the students.

I think that $40-$50 is very high per hour. I wouldn't pay that, especially for someone who herself didn't years and years of experience either as a seamstress or as a sewing teacher.

good luck! sounds like fun for you and your students.

KrisM
03-05-2012, 09:15 PM
I think it sounds like a great idea.

I don't live in California and Michigan is much lower COL. But, I would not pay $40/hour for a private lesson. I figure I'm taking lessons because I need to and want to be able to do basic sewing. I'd probably need a few lessons and that would just add up too quickly.

Maybe a tiered pricing would work - $40 for the first hour and then less for additional hours.

I would want to go to your home for it. I don't have a sewing spot in my house, as I don't sew :).

jerigirl
03-05-2012, 10:11 PM
I think that is kinda high. It will take at least 2-3 hours to make a totebag or skirt and that will really add up. I think the general idea is great though. IMO if your perspective clients have their own machine already, I would encourage them to start on their machine instead of yours. So they can get comfortable and then go home and actually use it :)

kaitlyns.mom
03-05-2012, 10:15 PM
OK, I will definitely lower the cost. Not as low as $20 though - not in Southern CA for a private lesson. Maybe $30 for a one-hour "get acquainted with your machine" session, then packaged pricing with a discount for projects. :)

I believe Jo-Ann lessons are $35 for a class with up to 8 students. Last time I went to one I basically did everything myself. I was not impressed!

ezcc
03-05-2012, 10:28 PM
I would pay $40 for someone to come to my house and teach me how to use my machine (which I bought and have used once, but don't really understand). I live on the east coast though or I would hire you!

waitingforgrace
03-05-2012, 10:32 PM
I think 30-40 per hour sounds reasonable but maybe offer a discount for multiple hours or even a semi private rate if you can get 2 people together. I would want the lesson at your house because I don't have a dedicated craft room and my girls would never leave me alone for a sewing lesson.

Good luck!

jerigirl
03-05-2012, 10:47 PM
OK, I will definitely lower the cost. Not as low as $20 though - not in Southern CA for a private lesson. Maybe $30 for a one-hour "get acquainted with your machine" session, then packaged pricing with a discount for projects. :)

I like this idea! Here in my area, about $30 is the rate that most dealers charge for a "get aquainted lesson" for people who don't buy their machine from them.

ellies mom
03-05-2012, 11:16 PM
I would probably offer different lesson/projects and price them individually. For example, a "get to know your machine" lesson. You could have them make pillowcases because they are quick and easy. And then I'd set up projects that teach basic concepts. Maybe a tote bag, pajama bottoms (curved seams, casing, pattern reading), simple skirt (zipper, darts, pattern reading). You could also offer an intro lesson at a local store where you walk them through buying the pattern, fabric and notions for a project. Ideally, one where you've made a short list of suggested patterns and conveniently offer classes on those projects. Some absolute beginners might like a little handholding rather than being thrown into a fabric store armed with just a list.

I would definitely offer them at your house for the reasons people mentioned. I have an area where we could go and concentrate on a lesson but that is because I've been sewing for years and it is a priority for me but I can imagine that a non-sewer isn't set up for that.

If you wanted to try and attract repeat students you could offer a discount for subsequent classes and maybe set up some kind of sample notebook that would hold the practice samples they make in the different lessons.

Carrots
03-05-2012, 11:27 PM
How about offering classes to make a specific project and charging for the class? My friend did this for a few years and I took several classes just to get myself back into sewing. She taught different techniques with each class. For example, the bag class taught how to insert a zipper, using fusible interfacing, creating a box pleat, etc. The classes were $65.00 for 4 weeks and were 2 hours 1ce a week. We had to supply our own materials and bring our own machine. The class was limited to 5 people.

Once we felt comfortable enough, we started to bring in our own projects to work on and she was there to offer advice and instruction as we went along.

She also did private instruction for $20.00 an hour. She also has an Etsy shop.

Good luck!

crl
03-05-2012, 11:37 PM
You might also consider offering a "tour" of a fabric store. I think beginning sewers might like an introduction to the different notions, kinds of fabric, etc.

Catherine

ETA. Sorry to repeat, that's what happens when I start to reply, get distracted, and finish without re-reading the thread.

bigsis
03-06-2012, 12:48 AM
I've been eyeing this one as far as sewing classes are concerned:

www.MaterialGrrlz.com

It sounds very interesting and it's in the Valley so fairly close to OC. I've seen them advertised on Jen's List and someone has a huge decal on the back of their SUV.

Sounds like a great idea!

american_mama
03-06-2012, 01:05 AM
I took an intro sewing class at a local independent fabric store a few years ago. It was roughly a 5 week course that involved making an apron, and I don't recall the cost. I would have liked to be able to choose my intro project, so you might offer a choice of 3 intro projects. Our teacher also wasn't very good at identifying each skill in the apron-making so that at the end of the course, we had a sense that we'd learned something bigger than just an aprong. I would have liked to have gotten something in writing to bring home with me; for example, we did a gathering stitch to gather the apron waistband and I can't remember at all how we did it.

I also would have liked to learn a little about mending, since that's a big part of what I want to do with my machine. Things like hemming, adding an effective and attractive patch to worn out knees on kid pants, sewing a hole in a seam, sewing a small hole not in a seam.

JoyNChrist
03-06-2012, 01:25 AM
I don't have much advice on the specifics, but I just wanted to say I think it's a fabulous idea and I wish someone in my area offered something like this (and that I had time for it). Pinterest has really amped up my desire to want to know how to sew!