PDA

View Full Version : how did you know your child was allergic to dairy, and when did you find out?

AnnieW625
03-05-2012, 09:38 PM
I am trying not to self diagnosis too much, but DD2 has always had nasty smelling poop. She had breast milk like poop until she was almost 8 months old and I stopped breast feeding her at 4 months old. Then it stopped and her poop became normal. I first suspected a dairy allergy right after she was born and started spitting up everything. I cut out dairy and soy, but after a 3 week trial period she was still spitting up and Zantac helped her pain issues. Now at 22 months old, DD2 has been through a round of what I think was rotovirus (it was going around our area), but is still having non hard poop, which always seems to come after she has had some whole milk. Last week we were doing yogurt, and regular cheese and she seemed to be getting better, and having more normal solid poops. gave her some some whole milk on Saturday and she had 3 non hard poopy diapers yesterday. Last night at dinner I gave her cocunut milk and she drank about 2 oz.

DD2 turns 2 and has her 2 yr. appt. in May. I am tempted to request an allergy panel prior to that. WWYD? or WDYD?

nfceagles
03-05-2012, 09:58 PM
My DS (6.5) has a dairy allergy. Aside from reflux and eczema as an infant, our first clue was an immediately, profusely runny nose after sips of milk or spoons of ice cream.

Unless you've been dealing with chronic, unexplainable problems all along, I think your case sounds to me like post-illness lactose intolerance. Stomach bugs result in a GI tract that is flushed of all the bacteria and enzymes that process our food and specifically lactose. It takes a while to rebuild those and can result in a vicious cycle. Lactose goes in but can't be digested, causes loose stools, which further flushes the intestines of their proper flora. I would stick to yogurt for a while and add in a probiotic. JMHO.