PDA

View Full Version : Tiffany Engagement Ring - Worth It?

alootikki
03-06-2012, 11:50 AM
My brother just got engaged (yay!) and he and his fiancee are now picking out a ring together. They live in Boston and went to a few different stores, but it seems like they both liked a simple six-prong solitaire setting at Tiffany.

Neither of them is concerned about the brand factor with Tiffany, and would be just as happy getting the ring elsewhere - she just really liked the way the prongs on the Tiffany ring are more contoured and delicate than what she's seen elsewhere.

And of course as a bargain hunter (who got a great deal at Blue Nile), I'd prefer they not pay the mark-up for the blue box when neither cares about that!

So has anyone re-created a Tiffany-style setting? Did it work out well? How did you find a jeweler who could do this? Or should they just pay the mark-up and get the style they like?

Edited to add - they have both asked me for advice/input, so I am not being a nosy future SIL! ;)

AnnieW625
03-06-2012, 12:10 PM
Personally I think I would. We did not live near a Tiffany when we got engaged so we never looked there, but I really think that if they like the setting and they like the quality of the jewelry then they should just go for it. However I will say that since they are in Boston they should be able to find something from a local high end jeweler that is just as well known, and be equally happy with it.

maestramommy
03-06-2012, 12:19 PM
If money isn't a problem, and that is the reason they want Tiffany, why not? We went to look at rings at Tiffany when we were first looking at rings, just to see what the cachet was. There are certain things that are guaranteed there, turns out they weren't necessarily things we really cared about. But they did have beautiful rings!

waitingforgrace
03-06-2012, 12:25 PM
They should talk to an independent jeweler, show them exactly what they like and see what they say.

I fell in love with a tacori setting and asked a local jeweler if he could get something similar. He gave me a few really good options that were very similar and cheaper but DH decided to get me the Tacori anyway. So worth checking, but if she still loves the Tiffany ring then yes it's worth it. She will wear it every day for hopefully the rest of her life.

khalloc
03-06-2012, 12:29 PM
Tiffany rings are beautiful, but I feel like you are really just paying for the name and perhaps for the convenience. Because you probably wont get a bad diamond at Tiffany. So maybe if you dont feel like doing your homework and learning about diamond cut and brilliance and hearts & arrows, light reflection, etc...then sure go to Tiffany and the cut will be good because they have a standard. But you're also paying at least a grand or more extra for that. And I cant believe that Tiffany is the only place that makes that setting. Other places have it. You just have to look. I wouldnt spend my money on a diamond ring there. I'd find a good jeweler and look at stones myself.

arivecchi
03-06-2012, 12:57 PM
Our rings are from Tiffany and we love them. They were pricey but my DH just wanted to be sure he was getting great quality rings. They are spendy because they set the bar for engagement/wedding rings - so much so that our insurer will only replace them with equivalent Tiffany rings because they know their customers will not consider another brand to be comparable. (My DH lost his wedding ring so he has actually tested that statement. They did indeed replace it with the same Tiffany ring.)

I do think their styles are classic and conservative, which I like. I believe in bargain hunting for lots of purchases, but this is not one of them.

Here is my setting. I love it and people comment on it all the time. My DH did a great job as far as I am concerned!

codex57
03-06-2012, 01:01 PM
HELL NO!

khalloc pretty much covered it, cept I think the premium is far more than just a grand or two.

Tell them to go to pricescope.com Prepare to be edumacated. The setting is duplicated everywhere. Yes, some are better than others. Just like any knockoff. However, 90% of the markup Tiffany charges is in the stone, which is ok, but not really all that great once you get on pricescope and start seeing what ideal cut diamonds look like.

I even ended up buying a kit from idealscope. Now, I can eyeball a round brilliant and tell you if it's decently cut or not. Just use the idealscope to confirm. You learn awesome tricks on that site, like how you can just take a piece of folded paper and have a tray to easily compare color btw different stones. I looked at so many, I was also able to ballpark color to within 2 or 3 letter grades. Can't anymore.

HonoluluMom
03-06-2012, 01:12 PM
Personally I think you're paying for the name when it comes to Tiffany jewelry and you can get great quality jewelry elsewhere.

Your brother and fiancee can go to a reputable independent jeweler and get a ring custom made. Back when I was married, that's what I did. I was able to choose the size, quality and cut of the diamond and I designed the setting with the help of the jeweler (it involved several drawings and molds to get an idea of what the final product would look like). I felt good about what I ended up with because the jeweler had the ring appraised by an independent appraiser and I had it appraised again when I got it insured.

hellokitty
03-06-2012, 01:24 PM
I wouldn't. You're just paying for the name. My sil wanted a tiffany brand engagement ring. My brother priced it up. It was almost twice the cost for a diamond for the same quality. So, he told her no. Plus, how is anyone going to know it's a tiffany, unless you ask them or they go around telling ppl? I've had lots of compliments about my engagement ring, it's from a well known jeweler in the area where we were living at when DH and I got engaged. When ppl ask me where I got it and I tell them the jeweler, they all know that it is of high quality.

citymama
03-06-2012, 01:47 PM
If they can afford it, and money isn't a consideration, why not? Tiffany is a class act, and I am super impressed by their commitment to social and environmental issues (conflict free diamonds, recycled gold, etc). But for a newly engaged couple, saving money should be a consideration. Blue Nile is a good brand as well.

alootikki
03-06-2012, 02:19 PM
I guess I think that it would be a "waste" because they are both very frugal (live well below their means) and not at ALL brand-conscious. Also, the setting she likes is so simple (6-prong solitaire), I can't imagine an extremely similar setting can't be found elsewhere. I think my bro is just feeling overwhelmed with having to find a good local jeweler...

alootikki
03-06-2012, 02:21 PM
And arrivecchi, your engagment ring is beautiful!

Mopey
03-06-2012, 02:29 PM
My brother just got engaged (yay!) and he and his fiancee are now picking out a ring together. They live in Boston and went to a few different stores, but it seems like they both liked a simple six-prong solitaire setting at Tiffany.

Neither of them is concerned about the brand factor with Tiffany, and would be just as happy getting the ring elsewhere - she just really liked the way the prongs on the Tiffany ring are more contoured and delicate than what she's seen elsewhere.

And of course as a bargain hunter (who got a great deal at Blue Nile), I'd prefer they not pay the mark-up for the blue box when neither cares about that!

So has anyone re-created a Tiffany-style setting? Did it work out well? How did you find a jeweler who could do this? Or should they just pay the mark-up and get the style they like?

Edited to add - they have both asked me for advice/input, so I am not being a nosy future SIL! ;)

The thing about the brand and paying that mark-up is the value the piece will always HOLD. I (unfortunately?) tend to think of jewelry as an asset and a well-known house or maker mark can really be worth it in the long run if you have to sell it (have experience with this). FWIW, my engagement ring was from a private jeweler but all my other valuable jewelry (gold, stones, etc.) has come from places where it would be worth something down the road.

Hope that wasn't too negative or anything. Just another perspective.

TwinFoxes
03-06-2012, 02:33 PM
Since they are frugal, why not splurge? DH and I paid cash for our entire wedding, except the alcohol (thanks FIL!) by ourselves. We definitely splurged on some things that I'm sure would surprise people. Working hard and NEVER splurging seems pointless. You just have to keep the splurges under control. :) I honestly think there's no right answer here, since they aren't going into debt to buy it. If they get it from Tiffany, yay! If they find a less expensive one, yay again.

arivecchi
03-06-2012, 02:34 PM
I guess I think that it would be a "waste" because they are both very frugal (live well below their means) and not at ALL brand-conscious. Also, the setting she likes is so simple (6-prong solitaire), I can't imagine an extremely similar setting can't be found elsewhere. I think my bro is just feeling overwhelmed with having to find a good local jeweler... If I were them, I would then try blue nile. They seem to be reputable, relatively easy to use and there is not as much of a mark-up. My DH did not want to spend any time doing any research or haggling with a dealer and I loved Tiffany rings, so that's what worked for us, but I can see why it may not be a good fit for everyone!

codex57
03-06-2012, 02:38 PM
The thing about the brand and paying that mark-up is the value the piece will always HOLD. I (unfortunately?) tend to think of jewelry as an asset and a well-known house or maker mark can really be worth it in the long run if you have to sell it (have experience with this). FWIW, my engagement ring was from a private jeweler but all my other valuable jewelry (gold, stones, etc.) has come from places where it would be worth something down the road.

I dunno about that. I think it's more like w/ a brand name, you have a valid comparable. Insurance companies can easily go out and get something you think is equivalent.

W/ regular jewelry and stones, it often leads to a fight.

I'm sorry, but most jewelry appraisals aren't worth the paper they're written on.

I have an appraisal but I know it's just a piece of paper w/ ink on it. The more valuable one is the GIA report. One day, I'm gonna get an AGS report and possibly engrave the stone while I'm at it. That is, if I can eventually convince DW to let her ring out of her sight.

Still, diamonds have been shooting up in price. I bought her ring roughly 7 yrs ago. The same spec diamond goes for like $8,000 more now.

khalloc
03-06-2012, 02:42 PM
Go to www.goodoldgold.com They have excellent information there and so many diamonds available. He really teaches you about the diamond and gives you all of the specs on it. And you're going to get a beautifully cut diamond no matter what. Plus you'll pay thousands less than at Tiffany...

Really? Does jewelry really hold its value? I dont really have any experience but I highly doubt that anyone can sell their Tiffany diamond ring for what they bought it for. People dont want used rings. Its my gut feeling that no matter where you buy a ring, you arent going to be able to easily sell it for what you paid for it. I see ads all the time in craigslist with people trying to sell diamond rings for 50% of what they paid. And the ads are there for a L O N G time. No one should ever invest in jewelry thinking its going to hold its value. I could be totally wrong, but I dont think I am...I re-read your post and you say you have experience with this. I guess I could see if it was antique maybe? Or from some world famous jeweler to the stars, but Tiffany pieces are hardly unique. I guess I just cant see how you'd get your money back. Unless Tiffany will buy it back at value or something?

BTW, when I got my engagement ring at the place above (Good Old Gold) it came with a guarantee that he will buy back your diamond for the price you paid for it if you ever want to upgrade. Which I thought was pretty cool. Havent taken him up on that yet.

codex57
03-06-2012, 02:44 PM
If I were them, I would then try blue nile. They seem to be reputable, relatively easy to use and there is not as much of a mark-up. My DH did not want to spend any time doing any research or haggling with a dealer and I loved Tiffany rings, so that's what worked for us, but I can see why it may not be a good fit for everyone!

bluenile is fine, but they're not the only game in town. It's kinda like going to Amazon for kitchenware. It's fine, and they often have good prices, but you should check other places as well cuz Amazon isn't necessarily the cheapest or always have what you want (even tho they stock tons of stuff).

Seriously, just have them check out pricescope.com. There's a handful of vendors (like Good Old Gold and White Flash, among others) that will have diamonds that blow away Tiffany's for much less money.

Still, Tiffany's is a very established name. If the name is important, then by all means, go for it. It's like buying a Prada handbag. The quality isn't better than anything Sears sells, but they style (of the setting) and the name recognition is where the value is at.

That said, to me, a diamond ring is still more about the diamond then the setting. Usually, the diamond costs a lot more than the setting. So, I think it's more natural to concentrate on getting the best diamond you can. From that viewpoint, you're much better off going away from Tiffany.

Mopey
03-06-2012, 02:49 PM
At least here high-end pieces are very well received (say Bulgari enamel earrings) and usually worth more. I can't speak for everywhere, or for every kind of jewelry, but I am also NOT talking about insurance at all. I am talking about, you need money, you take it to a jeweler, auction house, etc. They see that mark, they will pay. You can bring your GIA paperwork too. I have. Just my personal experience.

hollybloom24
03-06-2012, 02:52 PM
If they live in Boston, I'd try Barmakian Jewelers in Natick and Boston before paying Tiffany prices.

Jewelry is not an investment. A piece is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it at the time you want to sell it.

khalloc
03-06-2012, 02:56 PM
Interesting. I wouldnt think you would get the same price, or more than what you paid for some types of jewelry (unless antique or very few available). Just because if you think about something like a Tiffany engagement ring why buy it used when you can get it at the store, new for the same price? I guess it seems like when watching those pawn shop shows that they always pay way less than value.

arivecchi
03-06-2012, 03:02 PM
I think the bottomline is that the purchase must be worthwhile to the couple. Like everything else in life, there are different price points, brands, etc. and as I said above, not every purchase has to be a bargain purchase. Expensive housing or cars are not bargain purchases either and they may make perfect sense to some buyers. Just my final 2 cents. The OP's relatives have to figure out what makes sense for them given their priorities.

nfowife
03-06-2012, 03:07 PM
I personally would not. Tiffany has their own grading system and you really don't have an objective eye as to how great the quality is for the stone. They are not GIA or AGS certified (the 2 premier diamond grading associations in the US).
Have your brother go to pricescope.com and let the wonderful boards there help him find the best top-quality stone for his budget. There are MANY very reputable jewelers online who make Tiffany style settings for much less money and the quality will blow him and his fiance away. And she will get a much bigger/nicer stone for his budget.
briangavindiamonds.com, whiteflash.com, and goodoldgold.com are 3 very reputable jewelers who make beautiful Tiffany replicas and sell top-quality stones.

smilequeen
03-06-2012, 03:08 PM
I wanted to love my ring. If I had fallen in love with a Tiffany ring, I would have gotten one. With an engagement ring, I think it's all about the love. I mean, I wouldn't have looked at rings outside my price range so I just picked the one I loved the most. If that ring was in their price range and it's the one her heart goes back to, to me...that's worth it. Tiffany or not.

citymama
03-06-2012, 03:09 PM
Let's also remember that an engagement ring is for keeps - and for multi generations. This is not about retaining value for resale. This is about a ring that you love and will probably wear every day for the rest of your life!

Mommy_Mea
03-06-2012, 03:10 PM
My ring came from Blue Nile, and it is a simple 6-prong Tiffany style setting. Tiffany is beautiful, but not worth the markup in my opinion.

AnnieW625
03-06-2012, 04:13 PM
If I were them, I would then try blue nile. They seem to be reputable, relatively easy to use and there is not as much of a mark-up. My DH did not want to spend any time doing any research or haggling with a dealer and I loved Tiffany rings, so that's what worked for us, but I can see why it may not be a good fit for everyone!

Or what about Costco? They have some gorgeous rings now on display in the warehouse. Yeah it's not romantic to shop for rings there, but seriously it would be the same as buying a diamond online and having to shop around for settings. I don't recall them having as many now as they did in 2001 because I know for sure if they did DH probably would have used my Costco membership to buy my engagement ring.

Let's also remember that an engagement ring is for keeps - and for multi generations. This is not about retaining value for resale. This is about a ring that you love and will probably wear every day for the rest of your life!
:yeahthat: x infinity! I knew from the minute that it started getting serious with DH that I had to do my darndest to not have him get me a ring like this (and it takes DH forever to get a clue!): http://ak2.ostkcdn.com/images/products/P13115856.jpg
No offense of course if anyone has a ring like this, but I have always known this style ring was definitely NMS!

Jeanne
03-06-2012, 04:25 PM
IMO, no. Tiffany is a name that is marked way up. It's also soooo trendy now that the real value pieces of Tiffany were when the masses didn't shop there.

You never insure a ring for more than what you paid. It you do, you are giving money to your insurance company and getting nothing for it. They will only replace your exact ring or cut you a check for what they have to pay to replace that ring. Insurers have huge discounts and don't pay retail. It costs them far less to replace your ring than it costs you.

If you have a Tiffany ring, the insurer can/will/should replace with an exact replica. If you ensure it for appraisal and not what you paid for it, you will not get the appraisal check on that ring.

I just went to upgrade my engagement ring last year. I didn't end up doing so because the price of the ring is so much higher now that I simply couldn't bring myself to spend that much money. The jeweler was willing to give me the fair value for what DH paid for it but not the value of what it appraised for to cover a new ring. No way. The jeweler always wins. The markup is insane due to DeBeers.

geochick
03-06-2012, 04:28 PM
Tiffany worth it? Never.

Twoboos
03-06-2012, 04:36 PM
If they live in Boston, I'd try Barmakian Jewelers in Natick and Boston before paying Tiffany prices.

I would second this and also Descenza's in Natick, that's where we got our wedding rings and my 10yr anniversary ring. (Engagement ring was made forus by a jewelry designer.)
http://www.descenza.com/

Jai
03-06-2012, 05:33 PM
If they can afford it, and money isn't a consideration, why not? Tiffany is a class act, and I am super impressed by their commitment to social and environmental issues (conflict free diamonds, recycled gold, etc).

:yeahthat:

kijip
03-06-2012, 05:35 PM
Since they are frugal, why not splurge? DH and I paid cash for our entire wedding, except the alcohol (thanks FIL!) by ourselves. We definitely splurged on some things that I'm sure would surprise people. Working hard and NEVER splurging seems pointless. You just have to keep the splurges under control. :) I honestly think there's no right answer here, since they aren't going into debt to buy it. If they get it from Tiffany, yay! If they find a less expensive one, yay again.

I agree. I am not a jewelry person at all but I think this is one area where if it matters to them and they can afford it, what is the harm? It's their engagement and wedding, it should be what makes them both happy.

MissyAg94
03-06-2012, 05:50 PM
I agree. I am not a jewelry person at all but I think this is one area where if it matters to them and they can afford it, what is the harm? It's their engagement and wedding, it should be what makes them both happy.

fumofu
03-06-2012, 08:06 PM

FWIW, I have a 6-prong solitaire from Tiffany's. I don't wear much jewelry, just stud earrings. I never wore rings before getting engaged/married. I love my ring. I agree that by going to Tiffany's, you're paying markup for a guaranteed good diamond. But I really like the ring's setting. It really is a custom fit for the diamond that DH picked out. Even with my untrained eyes, I have seen friends' rings with settings that aren't as nice. But if you can find an independent jeweler who meets the couples' wants and needs, why not?

Congratulations to your brother and future SIL!

edurnemk
03-06-2012, 08:16 PM
DH told me he went to Tiffany's when he first started shopping for my ring, and he also did a lot of research about diamonds. His conclusion is that it's not worth it, because you're paying mostly for the brand and not so much for the diamond. He said that in order to get the perfect proportion (cut) they cut away a lot of the stone but the price is set according to the weight prior to the cutting, or something like that IIRC. He feels you can get an equal quality diamond (and ring) for less money, or looking at it the other way you can get a nicer and/or bigger diamond of the same quality for the same price somewhere else. That's DH's opinion, anyway.

DH ended up looking for a diamond he really like (in regards to color, clarity, cut, etc) and found the "perfect" one (actually pretty close to the perfecto proportions Tiffany uses) and then chose the setting.

codex57
03-06-2012, 09:31 PM
DH ended up looking for a diamond he really like (in regards to color, clarity, cut, etc) and found the "perfect" one (actually pretty close to the perfecto proportions Tiffany uses) and then chose the setting.

They don't use "perfecto proportions". At best, they're above average in cut. If they did, you can bet they'd be bragging all over the place and everyone would be trying to copy them.

maybeebaby08
03-06-2012, 09:54 PM
Go to the Jewelers Building downtown,I like Bouvier Jewelers, but there's lots of great choices. They'll be able to recreate anything your brother wants. I don't think the price is worth it at Tiffanys.

khm
03-06-2012, 10:08 PM
We did a ton of estate shopping, and I will say the Tiffany stuff was always more expensive, even "used". :)

It's not for me.

But, I'd give positive advice on either choice. :)

sntm
03-06-2012, 11:29 PM
Agree with some others that the advantage of Tiffany's is the guarantee of quality, the support over time (I could get my ring cleaned or fixed in any Tiffany's anywhere) and the higher resale price (especially for an otherwise simple band). Hopefully they won't need to resell it, but I sold my wedding band on craigslist for about 50% of what was paid for it and it sold in a few days. The Tiffany name made the difference. It's also a good shopping experience. The downside is the markup. Depends on their priorities.

For me, that is one area where I didn't want to do hours of research. YMMV

edurnemk
03-06-2012, 11:34 PM
They don't use "perfecto proportions". At best, they're above average in cut. If they did, you can bet they'd be bragging all over the place and everyone would be trying to copy them.

You're right, it's not literally perfect proportions, but it's supposed to be close to an ideal cut.

Also, we have guarantee and support at the jewelry store where DH got mine, I can get it cleaned for free, fixed, etc. That's also not exclusive of Tiffany's. So I guess it depends on how they personally feel, is it her ideal ring? do they care much about the label? I personally, don't care about resale value since I don't plan on selling it ever (it would have to be an extreme case of need).

alootikki
03-06-2012, 11:49 PM
Thanks everyone! It turns out that my brother's best friend knows the perfect jeweler in NYC's diamond district who can "replicate any setting they want". So he's going to go that route - since they really don't care about the brand/prestige factor.

Thanks for all of the store and website recommendations, we will definitely thoroughly research all of them to find the perfect center stone. And good to know that Bluenile is somewhat equivalent to Amazon these days - I guess things have changed since 10 years ago when we bought our stone from them!

mackmama
03-06-2012, 11:55 PM
Contact Whiteflash - they are great and do a lot of similar stuff. In this situation, it doesn't sound like getting the brand-name would be worth the price. OTOH, Tiffany is a classic for a reason!