PDA

View Full Version : GRRRR...recent convo with my mother

HIU8
03-06-2012, 12:23 PM
Mom: how is DD? Did you take her to the ortho?
Me: called the ortho. They said to wait a few days and if she is still in pain to bring her in. They would just do the ankle brace like the ER did anyway.
Mom: Who did you speak to?
Me: Nurse at ortho office.
Mom: Well, you are just getting subpar car and you are to stupid to realize it (b/c you didn't speak directly to the doctor).
Me: HEAR ME HANGUP MOM!

carolinamama
03-06-2012, 01:10 PM
:grouphug:

hillview
03-06-2012, 01:28 PM
ugg
:22:

wallawala
03-06-2012, 02:59 PM
When my 2yro broke her arm, the ER braced it and told us to get into the ortho for a cast. The peds ortho wouldn't see her until the next week. I was over the moon livid and panicking (OMG.. She's 2!!) until they explained that they couldn't put a cast on until the inital swelling goes down anyway.

So... pat yourself on the back for being a smarter mom than me! Sorry your mom doesn't act like she trusts you! While usually that means there is underlying anxiety doing the talking... her issues not yours... it never makes it easier! Feel free use the above story if she brings it up again!

Vent away and Boo to your mom!!:grouphug:

You definately qualify for a large chocolate bar, glass of wine, or both!!

niccig
03-06-2012, 03:13 PM
Me: HEAR ME HANGUP MOM!

Perfect way to deal with it. Hang up each and every time, shut down the conversation. She can think what she wants, but she can't say it and expect others to put up with it.

Sorry.

crl
03-06-2012, 07:58 PM
My mother isn't nearly the PITA it sounds like yours is and I still hung up on her once. She never pushed those buttons again.

Catherine

hellokitty
03-06-2012, 10:49 PM
Your moms it the nurse who also happens to be a hypochondriac, right? I don't blame you for hanging up on her. I hate it when parents are insulting to their adult children and can't respect their decisions. I have hung up on my parents before too.

cono0507
03-06-2012, 10:57 PM
This is reminding me of my mother. Ds was premature, in the nicu and had significant breathing difficulty. My mother told me "I can't believe you are letting those nurses sabotage your breastfeeding relationship.". Uh, mom, ds is about to get intubated. Eating is not exactly a priority at the moment. Couldn't hang up on her though because she was in my hospital room...
Mental notes for how not to be a mother to my dd when she is an adult!

HIU8
03-06-2012, 10:59 PM
I hung up on her 2x today. She called back to tell me that ER docs are wrong and DD's ankle is most likely broken. I need to force the ortho to see her NOW.

You know, I remember as a kid my grandmother getting anxious and upset about us going out at night (driving specifically). Turns out that was an early onset sign of Alzheimer's for her. I wonder if my mother's hypochondriac-ness is the same thing. Honestly, when I was a kid she was never like this--to the extent that she is now. It scares me to realize that she may also develop Alzheimer's. I watched it take my grandmother (we were extremely close) and I don't know if I can handle watching it take my mother. I have no idea if she has it or not, but her behavior scares me b/c it reminds me so much of how my grandmother acted.

MamaSnoo
03-07-2012, 05:57 PM
:grouphug:

I have had a lot of trouble in my own mother with excessive anxiety and inappropriate boundary crossing with respect to parenting issues (my parenting of my DD) lately. It is really hard. I have also wondered if there is a neuro-cognitive dimension to the problem, as she did not used to be this way. My DH does not think so, but it certainly does not make it easier when you are not sure if the problem is that she is being an overbearing b!tch, or if something is really wrong. Either way, this behavior is incredibly hurtful. :grouphug:

hellokitty
03-07-2012, 07:15 PM
Heather, how do you think she will react if you tell her that you think the way she is acting is making you suspect that she may have early onset Alzheimer's? I'm thinking she will get upset, but I also think that this might be a good way to test her. If she starts behaving herself, then it just means she's just being a PITA on her own accord. If she continues on acting neurotic and disrespectful, maybe this IS a sign of early onset Alzheimer's.