PDA

View Full Version : Teacher snack ideas

kristenk
03-06-2012, 12:43 PM
The PTA at DD's school puts out snacks for the teachers to have before open house. Open house starts at 6 and many teachers stay up at school to prepare for the 3 or so hours between when school gets out and open house starts.

I'm in charge of getting the snacks. I feel like I'm in a snack rut, though, and will gravitate toward the things that *MY* family likes. So, what kinds of things do you think would be good and what quantities would you recommend? We need mainly grab and go items and we have about 55 people on staff (3 men, 50+ women). The teachers will be serving themselves?

So far, I'm planning to get:
* a box of clementines
* a bag of small apples (which I'll wash and set out nicely)
* bottles of water (probably one case of 24)
* small (8 oz.?) cans of soft drinks (coke, diet coke, diet dr. pepper, sprite, dr. pepper?)

I'm also thinking of making cookies or brownies.

What else would be a good snack to have out?

boolady
03-06-2012, 12:44 PM
vegetable tray
cheese and crackers

blisstwins
03-06-2012, 12:52 PM
vegetable tray
cheese and crackers

This+ soda and water.

geochick
03-06-2012, 01:22 PM
I'd go with a mini sandwich making station and a fruit tray:

small rolls (pre cut) or croissants
sliced meat and cheese
a few sliced veggies (tomato or cucumber)
mayo and mustard

I used to teach, and got really hungry after school. Those days when I had to stay through the night, I HAD to have something substantial. A lot of the time I thought I'd have time to run off campus and get something to eat, but that rarely happened.

It all depends on your budget, I guess.

kristenk
03-06-2012, 01:46 PM
Hmmm... The Dad's group at the school sponsors a dinner right before open house. Teachers can technically go and get more substantial food there (at 5pm). I don't know how many do, though.

I hate to have a lot of extra food that will go to waste, but I want to make sure that no one's starving.

Another complication is that one of the teacher's parents passed away over the weekend and the funeral will be in the afternoon before the open house. I don't know how many teachers will try to make it to the service.

geochick
03-06-2012, 01:51 PM
Then I think cheese, crackers, fruit and drinks are fine.

SnuggleBuggles
03-06-2012, 02:13 PM
What has been a hit here:
-homemade baked goods
-individual bags of almonds or trail mix
-granola bars
-baby bell cheeses
-easy to grab and take snacks
-chips, guacamole, salsa
-M&Ms :)

eta- our principal usually orders pizza on open house type nights so the PTA snacks are just treats, not meals

hellokitty
03-06-2012, 02:19 PM
I would stick with healthy options, since most ppl who bring in stuff for the teachers bring in junky foods like cookies, cakes, chips, etc..

SnuggleBuggles
03-06-2012, 02:25 PM
A suggestion from someone who has coordinated many a potluck at school now- use Google Documents' spreadsheets to organize! I create a spreadsheet listing all of the items I want people to contribute (and I am extremely specific after several WTF moments...cans of refried beans, no bowl, no can opener???) and email that link out through different school communication channels. People can then easily see what is needed, what is still needed, and you don't get duplicates. It really has revolutionized my coordination of these things! So much easier than getting a gazillion emails.