PDA

View Full Version : Help me build a work wardrobe please!

PunkyBoo
03-06-2012, 02:20 PM
I'm starting a new job after 8+ years as a SAHM. I need help with work clothes, as I can't wear jeans and flip-flops to the new job! The environment there is pretty casual, but no jeans. The people wear pants (dockers-type) and blouses/tops/sweaters. There will be times I will need to go visit construction sites, so I will need to be able to change into work boots (so pencil skirts are not going to work). I like to dress cute/ feminine (not frilly) so I don't want to get a bunch of khaki pants and polo shirts and look like the guys. Having the clothes be machine washable and no-iron would be big pluses. I have a few cardigans I love that will work for me, but I don't know if wearing them over t-shirts is ok or if I need to get some other tops to wear under.

I'm 5'9", about 140#, so I usually need pants to be long. Any links to photos of basic outfits that might work? I can see shopping at AT Loft, Kohls, Nords Rack, which are all close by. I don't want to spend a lot up front since I'm not getting paid yet (and we have enough debt already), so spending over $100 on shoes is really too much for me right now. I also have no idea what shoes to wear to work with this type of outfit. Help!!!

crl
03-07-2012, 01:32 AM
I am really no help at all. But I noticed that Eddie Bauer has some washable work clothes. And they often have falls so maybe they do in those. For work shoes in a business casual environment, I would probably get ballet flats of some kind. I will try to find a link or two. But take all of this with a grain of salt because I am no fashionista and am a SAHM these days.

ETA: I would also try to have some accessories. A bit of jewelry, a nice scarf, etc can really pull an outfit together and can also help make the same clothes look quite different, which is helpful when you need to stretch a wardrobe.

Catherine

Editing to add links as I find them:

Here are some wrinkle resistant shirts from Eddie Bauer that I thought looked nice online: http://www.eddiebauer.com/EB/Women/Womens-Wrinkle-Resistant-Pants-Shirts/index.cat

And here are the EB washable trousers: http://www.eddiebauer.com/EB/Women/Suits/index.cat. I believe LE has some similar pants. Not very exciting, but maybe good for some wardrobe staples.

I have seen people here recommend Me Too flats. I haven't ever had any, but you could check DSW for those and other possibilities. The site has reviews, which can be very helpful, and lots of shoes under $100. http://www.dsw.com/shoe/me+too+leader+flat?prodId=237211&category=cat20068

DrSally
03-07-2012, 02:01 AM
Yes, EB has some nice, washable trousers. I have the velvetten ones. I think some sort of nicer knit or woven shirt under a cardy is better than a T. You can get some nice, silky or jersey shells at tmaxx for $20ish.

crl
03-07-2012, 02:03 AM
You might find some good ideas at the You Look Fabulous blog. Here is a link to the business casual entries in her archives: http://youlookfab.com/category/business-casual/. I noticed an entry in building a business casual capsule for less, maybe that would have some good tips?

Catherine

smiles33
03-07-2012, 12:25 PM
I work in a business casual setting and my "go-to" items include:

- at least 2 pairs of machine-washable black pants (Banana Republic, Ann Taylor, and random brands from TJMaxx)
- 4-6 different style short-sleeved machine washable cotton/jersey blend tops. Some cap sleeve, some 3/4 length sleeve, some shells/tanks to be worn underneath other items. Note that I wear lots of layers because my office thermostat can't be adjusted, not sure how your office will be. That's why I avoid thick sweaters or most long-sleeved tops.
- 2-3 light sweaters and 2-3 light jackets that can be worn inside (so not trenches or wool peacoats)

As crl mentioned, cute accessories will help as well. I tend to stick to Nordstrom Rack/TJMaxx to find basic wardrobe staples at reasonable prices. Good luck!

BabyBearsMom
03-07-2012, 12:58 PM
I wear a lot of dresses to work, but given that you are doing the construction site thing, that probably isn't a great idea. I think that the keys to a good business casual work wardrobe are a few pairs of very nice pants that fit you well (typically I like to have them in black, charcoal grey and other more conservative colors, but I work in a fairly conservative environment). I also like to have several wrinkle-free washable button down tops both long sleeved and 3/4 lenght sleeve. I wear a lot of cardigans over the button downs or a nice shell because my office tends to be very chilly. My wardrobe is definitely not the sexiest but I work in Accounting and I work for a church, so sexy isn't really an option, LOL. I do like to invest in a couple of pairs of very comfortable, classic shoes (usually low pumps). A comfortable, classic shoe can carry an outfit. I will also usually wear a little jewelry or a scarf to warm up a plain outfit.

kozachka
03-07-2012, 02:10 PM
I wear a lot of button down non-iron shirts from Banana Republic. They also carry more feminine cute tops, that are a good value when on sale, and they have sales all the time.

I don't like cardigans and sweater sets for some reason. Maybe because they remind me of my MIL too much :wink2:. I have one cardigan that is shorter (waist length) in bright pink, which I don't mind wearing. I also have a v-neck from GAP and crewneck from BR.

When I was about to start my job, I hit outlets and got 2 pairs of pants and two skirts, one black and one one gray. The pants that I machine washed got faded pretty quickly, so I had to get rid of them. The ones that I dry cleaned are still going strong 2 years later. I found a place on my way too work that charges $2 to dry clean most items, and rely on them to keep me looking nice and save time. I don't dry clean my bottoms unless I have to, so I don't feel it's that expensive.

One of the tricks to keep things reasonable is to make sure that you can wear most of your tops with most of your bottoms. It helps if you stick to the same color pallet. I have a lot of blues, grays and blacks. Plus some pinks that mix well with grays and blacks.

wallawala
03-15-2012, 02:27 PM
http://youlookfab.com/2012/03/14/work-wear-for-spring-one-capsule-many-outfits/

New wardrobe capsule for spring with some great inspiration pieces!