PDA

View Full Version : Luggage while traveling with Kids

Mommy2Two
03-06-2012, 02:43 PM
So we are taking a much needed vacation in about a month and taking the kids (3 and 4) to the Caribbean. The weather will hopefully be nice and warm there.

Here is the question- what type of luggage do I need. I have never traveled with kids before. Since we have to pay for checked luggage, I would like to possibly just have carry on bags, however, I am not sure what my kids can carry with them.

What types of bags do you take when going with the kids?

hillview
03-06-2012, 02:48 PM
We check 2 LL Bean Duffel Bags. For carry on with 2 kids for more than a couple of days that would be hard.
/hillary

khalloc
03-06-2012, 02:48 PM
Do you have to pay for checked bags to the Caribbean? It might allow a free checked bag per seat since its out of the country.

When we traveled JetBlue to Barbados late last year We had 4 suitcases. 1 each for DH and I. One for the kids, then another one with our snorkelling gear and other stuff. We overpacked, but I didnt pay any checked bag fee, but JetBlue allows 1 checked bag per person on all flights.

tlw
03-06-2012, 03:24 PM
You'll want to be luggage-free when traveling with small children. Use 2 large suitcases and check them--put everyone's stuff in both. You'll need to carry-on a bag for snacks, DVDs, coloring, and other entertainment to keep them occupied.

pastrygirl
03-06-2012, 04:18 PM
We check in as much as possible, even carry-on sized luggage. We've only flown JetBlue so far, which lets you check one free bag per ticket.

rin
03-06-2012, 04:20 PM
I hate checking bags & mostly do carry-on only when traveling alone with my DD (almost 2). Once in a blue moon we check a bag, but that's pretty rare, and mostly only if we're traveling around holidays & need to bring lots of presents. I'm able to bring all our clothes, even in the winter, plus her travel bed (we use a Peapod). IMO, if your family is ok with minimalist traveling doing carry-on only should be totally doable w/ older kids, like yours are, especially if you're traveling with your DH.

Here's what I'd do: Pack everyone's clothes into one large backpacking-type backpack (as large as it can be and still meet the carry-on dimensions, we use an REI medium women's one with a removable daypack) and one rolling carryon suitcase. This should be pretty easy, since you're going to a warm place & don't need a lot of bulky stuff. Don't bother with snorkels, gear, etc; you can buy those there, or if you're going to a resort-type place they most likely have them available.

Each kid should have one backpack with all their on-board entertainment & snacks.

Also pack up one smaller, regular day-pack sized backpack w/adult in-flight entertainment, valuables, medications, sunscreen, etc.

If you're bringing a stroller, one parent can push the stroller, wear the smaller backpack, and wrangle the kids. If you're not bringing a stroller, then the one parent can just wrangle kids w/out a stroller. The other parent can wear the larger backpack & pull the rolling suitcase.

Hope this helps!

geochick
03-06-2012, 04:31 PM
2 large bags with wheels!!! - check them.
Everything else carry on.

My kids started wheeling their own little luggage on at about 3-4. They loved it. It kept them busy in the airport, and helped save space in the checked luggage. I also have my kids carry their own backpacks full of activities and snacks.

My kids are now 5 and 8, and it only took them a few trips to become very self-sufficient with check-in, security, pulling bags, etc. Start training now, and you'll be set very quickly.

egoldber
03-06-2012, 04:33 PM
Use 2 large suitcases and check them--put everyone's stuff in both.

:yeahthat:

But make sure to put a change of clothes and a bathing suit for everyone in a carry-on in case luggage goes astray.