PDA

View Full Version : Best eyeliner, mascara, eyeshadow?

BigDog
03-06-2012, 11:56 PM
I just got a pixie haircut and realized that I'll need to make an effort with makeup in order to avoid looking like, well, my mother (who I love more than anything!). But still. I'm in my mid 30s and I'm trying to stay/look hip but with the haircut I just got there's a very fine line, especially when I live in sweats! Anyhow, getting back on topic... Please rec your eye makeup. I currently use Revlon Colorstay liner in brown and no particular mascara. And never eyeshadow since I can never figure out how to apply it properly. Thanks for any suggestions!

TxCat
03-07-2012, 12:04 AM
For eyeshadow, I love Nars. A little more pricey, but the colors are gorgeous, they are easy to apply, and they go on really nicely. Sephora is a good place to get reviews on different colors to see if they would work well with your coloring. For eyeliner I like the Bobbi Brown Gel Eyeliner. Very easy to apply and lasts all day.

DrSally
03-07-2012, 12:44 AM
You should go to a MAc or Bobbi Brown counter and have them do your eye makeup.
I just wear Loreal volumnous waterproof mascara and some highlighter on the inner corner and browbone. I don't do eyeliner b/c it looks heavy and smears on me. I don't do eyeshadow usually b/c I have Asian eyes w/no crease.

AnnieW625
03-07-2012, 01:03 AM
Mascara: Clinique High Impact
Eyeliner: Bobbi Brown gel liner
Eyeshadow: Stila, Merle Norman, and LancĂ´me.

Call me crazy but MAC eyeshadow doesn't last on me even with primer. I think it is highly overrated, although the colors are cool. I get much better results with the brands I listed above.

kozachka
03-07-2012, 01:32 AM
I had my hair chopped into a very short haircut, too, last week-end. And I also remind myself of my mom. Need more make up pronto. I don't use liner. IMO darker eye shadow works just as well or better.

Fairy
03-07-2012, 01:52 AM
Eye shadow --> MAC. Absolutely fantastic stuff.
Eye Liner --> MAC, but I'm always looking for others. Lancome is good, too.
Mascara --> Lancome Definicils, best stuff ever. But I like Benefit, too.

MelissaTC
03-07-2012, 08:42 AM
Eye shadow- for a newbie, I would go to the drugstore and look for one of the palettes from Cover Girl, Revlon, Almay or Maybelliene. They have directions, some are specific for eye color and they are inexpensive.

Eye liner- I am all over Urban Decay.

Mascara- I like the new Cover Girl LashBlast 24 hour mascara. I also love Blinc. My lashes are naturally full and long so most mascara works for me. To make them look super hot, I use Maybelline's Falsies. Makes them look so good that they look like I am wearing fake lashes, in a good way.

Jenn850
03-07-2012, 08:44 AM
I would suggest a mascara primer. I have used lancome and dior but I bet a drug store brand would do it too. It makes a big difference without looking overdone. Just make sure your lashes don't clump together.

mom2khj
03-07-2012, 09:21 AM
Eyeshadow and liner - Lancome or MAC, with Urban Decay potion primer
Mascara - Lancome Hypnose

wendibird22
03-07-2012, 09:28 AM
Mascara-Covergirl Professional. It's the only one that doesn't end up smudged underneath my eyes.

Eyeshadow-Bare Minerals...so blendable or Lancome

I really don't wear eyeliner but if I'm really going all out I can wet an eyeliner brush and use my Bare Minerals as liner.

artvandalay
03-07-2012, 09:38 AM
Eyeliner - Urban Decay 24/7
Mascara - Cover Girl Lashblast
Eyeshadow - MAC. I'd go to a counter and have them pick out shades for you. Drugstore shadows are not pigmented and won't last.

If you have oily lids and want your shadow to last, you could use an eyeshadow primer.

Bobbi Brown counter is good for a natural look. MAC counters give you a little more play with colors. Depends on what your style is.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
03-07-2012, 10:18 AM
I just got a pixie haircut and realized that I'll need to make an effort with makeup in order to avoid looking like, well, my mother (who I love more than anything!). But still. I'm in my mid 30s and I'm trying to stay/look hip but with the haircut I just got there's a very fine line, especially when I live in sweats! Anyhow, getting back on topic... Please rec your eye makeup. I currently use Revlon Colorstay liner in brown and no particular mascara. And never eyeshadow since I can never figure out how to apply it properly. Thanks for any suggestions!

I think you can not beat color stay for liner and I have tried them all. I have very droopy eyelids which makes it very hard for eyeliner to stay put. I don;t think you can beat it at any px.

MissyAg94
03-07-2012, 11:30 AM
I have gotten some great ideas for make up from youtube videos. I am subscribed to http://www.youtube.com/user/emilynoel83. She does both drugstore and high end makeup.

ETA: Drugstore makeup has come a long way and I have eyeshadow from the drugstore that is beautiful and lasts all day. I got tons of ideas from the youtuber that I linked above.

Mopey
03-07-2012, 01:02 PM
MAC eyeliner is great. STILA eyeshadow is fab (the shade Holly Golightly works on EVERYONE - and you can build up to dark or not). Full 'n' Soft, Voluminous, and Great Lash mascaras.

As a pale blonde I am completely addicted to blush. It is the best pick me up for your face IMHO. Cover girl cheekers in Classic Pink and NARS orgasm :)

cvanbrunt
03-07-2012, 01:07 PM
Eyeliner: Tarina Tarantino http://sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P254902&shouldPaginate=true&categoryId=5970

Mascara: L'Oreal Double Extend http://www.drugstore.com/loreal-double-extend-beauty-tube-technology-lash-extension-effect-mascara-black/qxp209063?catid=183541

Neither of these budge at all. No raccoon eyes ever!

kaitlyns.mom
03-07-2012, 02:08 PM
Love Bobbi Brown Gel eyeliner! If you get it, get the eyeliner brush too.

Also I've found that doing my brows goes a long way toward feeling and looking put together. I love the Smashbox brow tech with the wax. Make sure they pick a color for you though - it's really easy to go too dark or not dark enough!

ray7694
03-07-2012, 02:12 PM
Urban Decay Nake Pallette is worth every penny
Eyeliner--Revlon Colorstay
Mascara--Loreal Beautry Tubes or Covergirl lash blast

I also subscribe to Tiffany D makeup blog/youtube channel

hillview
03-07-2012, 02:20 PM
Wow I am so so drugstore on eyeliner. I will have to try some others. I use

maybeline for eyeliner
no mascara (although I have mascara from Laura Mercier)
eye shadow also Laura Mercer
/hillary

mackmama
03-07-2012, 03:44 PM
Oh I love pixie haircuts - good for you! I love Mac liquid eyeliner. For eyeshadow, I like Stila. The best masaca ever is Givenchy with the ball on the end.

AnnieW625
03-07-2012, 04:42 PM
ETA: Drugstore makeup has come a long way and I have eyeshadow from the drugstore that is beautiful and lasts all day. I got tons of ideas from the youtuber that I linked above.

I completely agree with you on this. I don't own much drug store makeup, but in recent years have borrowed my sisters Cover Girl drug store eye shadow and it lasts on me longer than MAC. L'Oreal makes some nice shades and while I haven't tried them I have given their HIP eye shadow powder to friends as gifts and they have all raved about it.

In the blush world I love MAC. Nars Orgasm does nothing for me.

BigDog
03-07-2012, 05:28 PM
Thanks for all the recs! I took a trip to Sephora today and this is what I got (I won't tell you how much I spent but I'm sure you can figure that it wasn't cheap - although, I'm justifying it because I haven't updated my makeup in YEARS... or decades)...

Sephora eye primer
Make up Forever eyeliner in plum
Nars blush in orgasm
Lorac Natural Performance Foundation
Smashbox Blue-eyes shadow palette
And a free sample of Nars oil-free face primer and a free Tarte mascara

But here's the thing... every salesperson that helped me had such terrible skin! Caked-on makeup, bad acne, etc. Where were the fresh-faced, bright-eyed, dewy girls? Go figure. Hopefully I didn't make bad choices.

Oh and the salesgirl said that I should go with brown or plum eyeliner for my blue eyes. I typically wear brown but I was intrigued by the Plum. So she puts this pinkish-colored eyeliner on the inside rim of my lower eyelid... it looked like I had pink eye. I was like, really??! This looks good?! Then she says "Oh, well maybe I'm getting it confused, maybe that looks better with green eyes." Oh good grief. I wound up picking up a darker plum colored eyeliner just to try.

mom2khj
03-07-2012, 05:42 PM
Sounds like you got an inexperienced SA!

FTR, I love plum eyeliner and have brown eyes. I never would've tried it until a Clinique SA showed me one (that they then discontinued, LOL) and I loved it!

lutefisk
03-07-2012, 10:05 PM
I wish I could have a pixie haircut, but my hair is too unruly and my face is too round.

>Where were the fresh-faced, bright-eyed, dewy girls? LOL! I know what you mean.

A few of the drugstore chains around here advertise that if you buy makeup there, and then it looks bad when you are trying it at home, you can bring it back for a refund. One way to save some money. YouTube makeup videos are great too.

BigDog
03-07-2012, 10:22 PM
I wish I could have a pixie haircut, but my hair is too unruly and my face is too round.

>Where were the fresh-faced, bright-eyed, dewy girls? LOL! I know what you mean.

A few of the drugstore chains around here advertise that if you buy makeup there, and then it looks bad when you are trying it at home, you can bring it back for a refund. One way to save some money. YouTube makeup videos are great too.

My hair is unruly too. I have curly, coarse, frizzy, dry, brittle hair (no thanks to my thyroid). I was going in for a trim and then the day before I decided I would chop it off. Clean slate and all. I took with me a lot of pictures of the French actress Audrey Tautou because I'm in love with her short hair. Anyhow, I walked out of the salon with a shorter and darker 'do and feeling empowered. Today I hate it. Whatever. It'll grow. Hopefully.

stinkyfeet
03-07-2012, 10:35 PM
Eyebrow: I use the Kimiko eyebrow pencil. It is great bc it looks so natural. If I only had time to put on one makeup product that I had time to apply, it would be this one. I have it in black tea bc I have black hair (Asian)

Eyelash: shu uemera eyelash curler, shiseido eyelash primer, Maybelline full and soft

Eyeshadow: I don't get to do it every day, but I think that the urban decay naked pallette is a good bang for your buck product. You get an eyeshadow primer (which can also be used on the eyebrow area where you lack hair to make that pencil stay a bit longer) and a brush. They have a new Naked2 pallette out now which seems like it would suite ppl with cooler undertones. I have warmer undertones, so I am happy with the original naked pallette.

Eyeliner: I currently use the black shade in the naked pallette as an eyeliner (I make it a liquid liner with a product by Paula dorf that converts eyeshadow intok liquid liner--I'm sure water would work well too, but I'm a product junkie :bag. Also, I like Bobbi brown gel eyeliner. I have heard good tags about urban decay 24/7 liners.

Hope that helps!

--sorry, just realized you already made your purchases! Have fun with your new makeup!!

pastrygirl
03-07-2012, 11:02 PM
I really like the Rimmel kohl eyeliners lately. I also use the Maybelline cream shadows that come in a 3-pack, and I just got a powder shadow (also from Maybelline) that's a marbleized blend, in Khaki. I use my finger to apply all of those.

For blush, I LOVE the Pixi blush gels that they sell at Target! I apply that with my finger, too.