PDA

View Full Version : What happens if you don't pay for an auction you won?

lowrioh
03-07-2012, 02:06 PM
Long story short, DH mistyped a bid at the very end of an ebay auction and he ended up wining it for a lot more than he was willing to pay. Because it was at the end of the auction he couldn't retract the bid. We contacted the seller immediately and let them know we bid in error. They initally said ok and that we should cancel the bid but after a series of emails it looks as if that isn't going to happen. (They couldn't figure out how to cancel the transaction even though I sent DETAILED instructions on how to do it).

So what happens if you don't pay and the seller doesn't cancel the transaction? Does the seller have to pay the listing fees? We had 100% feedback before but the seller already left awful feedback for us.

Sigh....

AngB
03-07-2012, 02:12 PM
Did ebay policy change again? last i checked, sellers couldn't leave feedback except positive for buyers. Well now you have nothing to lose by not paying. You get one black mark against your account which means nothing unless you get 3 black marks, then they ban you from ebay but it isn't like you couldn't just make a new account.

I've never not paid for an auction, but I definitely wouldn't in this case esp. when they already left bad feedback. (Which I really wouldn't stress about either.)

sidmand
03-07-2012, 02:16 PM
If they file an unpaid item case report (and you don't respond), I believe they are refunded any listing fees or final value fees. But it's free to list right now anyway so they may not have had a listing fee depending on what/where/when they listed (I'm newish to eBay and don't know all the nuances, but I think that's the case).

marymoo86
03-07-2012, 02:18 PM
Long story short, DH mistyped a bid at the very end of an ebay auction and he ended up wining it for a lot more than he was willing to pay. Because it was at the end of the auction he couldn't retract the bid. We contacted the seller immediately and let them know we bid in error. They initally said ok and that we should cancel the bid but after a series of emails it looks as if that isn't going to happen. (They couldn't figure out how to cancel the transaction even though I sent DETAILED instructions on how to do it).

So what happens if you don't pay and the seller doesn't cancel the transaction? Does the seller have to pay the listing fees? We had 100% feedback before but the seller already left awful feedback for us.

Sigh....

If they left a Positive but in the comments typed negative. You can contact Ebay with your proof that they accepted to cancel the bid and they will remove it.

AngB
03-07-2012, 02:35 PM
If they file an unpaid item case report (and you don't respond), I believe they are refunded any listing fees or final value fees. But it's free to list right now anyway so they may not have had a listing fee depending on what/where/when they listed (I'm newish to eBay and don't know all the nuances, but I think that's the case).
:yeahthat:

lowrioh
03-07-2012, 03:30 PM
If they left a Positive but in the comments typed negative. You can contact Ebay with your proof that they accepted to cancel the bid and they will remove it.

Yes, that's what they did. I'm really not too bothered by the feedback since we rarely sell and have 169 positive feedbacks. As long as I'm not going to be charged anything, I don't really care. I'm really just amazed that the seller couldn't figure it out. I thought that if he cancelled it he could have done a "second chance" offer to the other bidder.
This was clearly someone who was only marginally computer literate.

codex57
03-07-2012, 05:26 PM
You won't be out any money. eBay is horrifically slanted towards the buyer.

You can win an item, pay, receive it, then report you never receive it, and eBay/Paypal will refund your money without really asking any questions and thus screwing the seller.

So yeah, I don't really sell anything on eBay anymore.

mom2binsd
03-07-2012, 08:51 PM
You won't be out any money. eBay is horrifically slanted towards the buyer.

You can win an item, pay, receive it, then report you never receive it, and eBay/Paypal will refund your money without really asking any questions and thus screwing the seller.

So yeah, I don't really sell anything on eBay anymore.

:yeahthat:

lowrioh
03-08-2012, 12:30 AM
So the seller finally cancelled the transaction after my DH and he/she got into a pretty nasty email exchange...too much testosterone going on for me.
I initially felt bad about cancelling the bid but ebay actually has a policy about this and sets out a procedure to follow which I tried to follow. At this stage the seller has become such a douche about it that I have no remorse. I looked at the feedback that they have gotten and given and it isn't pretty.