PDA

View Full Version : Not keen on 4 year old in backless booster- am I crazy?

lilye13
03-07-2012, 03:27 PM
I can't decide if I am totally off the mark here but I'm not comfortable with the idea of my four year old DD 44 inches 48 lbs riding in a backless booster.
I think this is may be because when my son, now 8, was her age he didn't use one yet. I actually only just switched her Nautilus from the harness to the seatbelt when she turned four.
So I guess I am wondering- it is appropriate, safe, recommended?
It would make things easier in some ways, like riding in other cars, more flexibility where to sit in the car but just wanted to make sure.

edurnemk
03-07-2012, 03:31 PM
No you are not crazy. I would not put my 4 yo in a backless booster, other than in an emergency situation (i.e. riding someone else's car with no other options, just one trip). In fact my 5 yo nephew rode in a backless booster during a trip abroad (we traveled together) because his mom didn't want to take his harnessed seat on the trip. He did not sit correctly for more than 2 seconds, he kept putting the shoulder portion of the belt under his arm or behind his back, he squiggled, slouched forward..... So DS will probably not ride in a backless before... IDK, 7?

*myfoursons
03-07-2012, 03:44 PM
No, you're not crazy. Both of my older boys are still in high-back boosters.

One of my friend insists that it's safer for kids at a certain height to use a backless booster, but I have never been able to find information corroborating that.

Joolsplus2
03-07-2012, 06:47 PM
I'm not even fond of putting 4 year olds in boosters at all (if you have a harness that still fits) :shy:
I'd wait another year or two before a backless.

lilye13
03-07-2012, 07:33 PM
thanks everyone. Whew....:> I would rathre keepher int he harness but she is a tall leggy girl and the crotch strap was too uncomfortable especially when she'd be wearing skirts and leggings or those tutu like shirt skirt thing....she is a girly girl for sure!
Now I am stuck on my configuration of seats....we have a total of 5 car seats and one backless booster.

We have Marathon for the 'baby'- just turned 3.
2 Nautilus which are now both switched to seat belts.
These are in our Toyota Sienna

Then in DH's car is we can only fit two so:
A Frontier (pink) but harnessed for the baby:< oh well he'll survive
A Radian harnessed to put in for girly( take out when 8 yr old rides in his booster) and also use it for our 'extra' seat for friends cars
BUT she throws a fit now about the harness and it is a beast to haul in and out of cars but is nice and narrow. SO I tried to take off harness today- couldn't get the totally out yet ( didn't have time) but latched it but didn't like how the seat belt sits across the top for her.

So here is my new dilemma-
Before today I was thinking of get a Maestro or similar as our extra and travel seat but then today after posting started wondering if that was a best choice.
Or should I go with a Monterey Diono or a Britax Parkway SGL for DS1 and DD to use.
I would totally appreciate any ideas or preferences. Been a few years since I have bought( or looked at ) new car seats
thanks so much!

essnce629
03-07-2012, 07:55 PM
I'm not even comfortable with my 8 year old being in a backless full time. He rides in a high-back booster full time and only uses a backless for field trips.

There's no way I'd put a 4 year old in a backless and probably not in a high-back either unless it was an emergency or something.

I'd get a Maestro for a travel seat.

mom2binsd
03-07-2012, 08:59 PM
No not crazy at all, but my almost 6 year old DS (43lbs) is in Frontier harnessed and and my almost 9 year old DD is in a HBB Frontier.

I think of backless booster for really big/tall kiddo's.

Joolsplus2
03-08-2012, 09:33 AM
A Radian harnessed to put in for girly( take out when 8 yr old rides in his booster) and also use it for our 'extra' seat for friends cars
BUT she throws a fit now about the harness and it is a beast to haul in and out of cars but is nice and narrow. SO I tried to take off harness today- couldn't get the totally out yet ( didn't have time) but latched it but didn't like how the seat belt sits across the top for her.
>>>

Am I reading this right? You're trying to use a Radian as a booster? The old Sunshine Kids models don't become boosters, which might explain poor fit, the new Diono ones do, in which case, that's annoying.

peanut520
03-08-2012, 11:16 AM
i would not be comfortable at all. i plan on keeping kiddo in harnessed mode of her fr85s until the max or near max height/weight limits hopefully until 8-9. i really dont have plans to use the fr85 as a hbb as it isnt recommended/rated as highly as other hbb, and hope she will be able to got to a backless around 10.

Joolsplus2
03-08-2012, 11:22 AM
i would not be comfortable at all. i plan on keeping kiddo in harnessed mode of her fr85s until the max or near max height/weight limits hopefully until 8-9. i really dont have plans to use the fr85 as a hbb as it isnt recommended/rated as highly as other hbb, and hope she will be able to got to a backless around 10.

Frontier makes a fantastic booster... http://www.iihs.org/research/topics/boosters/best_bets.aspx
http://carseatblog.com/5671/too-old-for-a-booster-says-who/

It's a bit more of a pain for kids younger than 7 to buckle, but it can be used with LATCH and is the tallest on the market.

KrisM
03-08-2012, 11:26 AM
What is your goal? I'm not following it well. You need a harnessed seat for your 4 yo?

One of our cars only fits 2 seats right now. We have in it an older Radian and a Probooster. DH can take any 2 kids, as DD is 5.5 and fits in the Radian and is fine in a booster. So, depending on who she's with, she sits harnessed or in the booster. It works really well.

If all 3 kids are going somewhere, they're in the van. We also do have a RideSafer vest for the 2 seat car, just in case all 3 need to fit in.

Anyway, my near 8 year old is only in a backless when he's riding with a friend. DD is 5.5 and has not riden in a backless and I wouldn't be comfortable with that. She will move to a high-back in a few months.

essnce629
03-08-2012, 12:40 PM
Frontier makes a fantastic booster... http://www.iihs.org/research/topics/boosters/best_bets.aspx

It's a bit more of a pain for kids younger than 7 to buckle, but it can be used with LATCH and is the tallest on the market.

Yes, we LOVE the Frontier as a booster! We just switched from harness mode to booster mode about 3 weeks ago and it's been great. I specifically sold my FR80 for the FR85 when it came out since I knew DS2 was going to be really tall and I wanted the higher harness height and the tallest booster. I'm 5'7 and can almost fit in the booster with it raised all the way to the top! It's a great belt fit for DS1 and he can buckle easily-- but he's also 8 1/2.

peanut520
03-08-2012, 01:18 PM

Yes, we LOVE the Frontier as a booster! We just switched from harness mode to booster mode about 3 weeks ago and it's been great. I specifically sold my FR80 for the FR85 when it came out since I knew DS2 was going to be really tall and I wanted the higher harness height and the tallest booster. I'm 5'7 and can almost fit in the booster with it raised all the way to the top! It's a great belt fit for DS1 and he can buckle easily-- but he's also 8 1/2.

Thanks everyone, this is why i love this board for all the great info! maybe i was thinking of the fr80, but regardless she is not going to have that option for quite some time.

AnnieW625
03-08-2012, 01:40 PM
My 4 yr. old rode in a backless booster in my DCP's car last year for 10 minutes three times a week. I was fine with that, but on a regular basis DD1 is almost 6 yrs. old and still uses a high back booster for most trips other than field trips. We tried her in a low back booster on a recent trip where we flew and had a rental car, and even DH who wasn't sure DD1 needed the back for the booster all of the time said that for future travels we'll be traveling with it. :thumbsup:

My DD1 is 44" tall and about 46lbs.

I agree with Jools that the Frontier is a pain to buckle in some cars (it is easier in our Corolla than our Pilot). I kept DD1 harnessed full time until she was 5/1/2. I plan to keep her in her high back booster for at least another year or two, maybe three just depending on her size.

lilye13
03-09-2012, 11:49 AM
So sorry all....I am still in deep denial about my girl because she actually just turned 5!

Jules- I am NO idea about the radian. we got is so long ago (it still has two years left on it) running out in my pj's now to take it out.

So now my problem (other than my worn out brain;>) is what to get for seat combinations to use, particularly in DH's car:
But what we already own is:

We have a that pink Frontier ( not 85:<) that the little one gets priority to use in DH's car
2 Graco Nautilus's (or is it -Nautil ?;>)
Marathon
Radian
Harmony Booster
.......so I was looking at the
Britax Parkway or the Diono Monterey ( or a maestro or similar)to add to stash and put in DD and DS1 can use depending who is riding.
But should I be looking at something else instead>?

I feel like a total tool ....:< I am sorry about the 4 /5 mixup....

Joolsplus2
03-09-2012, 12:06 PM
Hey, if your mommy brain hasn't started overlapping with your senior moments, consider yourself lucky :rotflmao:
Anyway, yeah, Monterey or Parkway are fine, Graco Turbo is even fine for a second car (not as tall or cushy as the others, but tends to fit most kids really well on the smaller end of the spectrum, can be used backless if needed, cheap and easy to find...)

lilye13
03-09-2012, 12:47 PM
ROTFLMAO Julie:>
I couldn't really admit it but definitely could be budding senior moment :<
I just got back from dropping off for school and almost talked myself into getting the Frontier 85 ( in Cowmoo of course) but thinking that really isn't pract$$cal) at all
or what we really need. Just get tempted to get a nice new fancy seats;>
But still thinking I need something for my 8 1/2 year old 57" and almost 90 lbs and the Monterey and Parkwy ( or Fronteir;>) could do double duty with DD.
Still crazy?

AnnieW625
03-09-2012, 02:20 PM
......Graco Turbo is even fine for a second car (not as tall or cushy as the others, but tends to fit most kids really well on the smaller end of the spectrum, can be used backless if needed, cheap and easy to find...)

This seat fits my small almost 6 yr. old quite well and she doesn't complain about the seat most days unless she is really tired then she complains the fabric itches. It definitely gets two :thumbsup: for ease of use for playdates and field trips as a low back booster. DD1 has no issues carrying it. While sometimes I think I should have spent $80 more on a Monterey or a Parkway I am quite happy withe Graco Turbo.

lilye13
03-09-2012, 03:28 PM
This seat fits my small almost 6 yr. old quite well and she doesn't complain about the seat most days unless she is really tired then she complains the fabric itches. It definitely gets two :thumbsup: for ease of use for playdates and field trips as a low back booster. DD1 has no issues carrying it. While sometimes I think I should have spent $80 more on a Monterey or a Parkway I am quite happy withe Graco Turbo.

thanks:> Right now I am searching about online and in old posts about which one to go for and I have worked myself into a tizzy.

And to confirm my problem, I took out the radian and just had the frontier in the car and when I tried to sneak out for a quick Starbucks trip this morning with just my darling tempest of a princess - she flat out refused to sit in it ( it still has the 5pt harness set).
She would rather stay home then go for a little mommy and me treat having to ride in it!!!!
Needless to say after the tears and screams of protest I really needed my Starbucks:<