PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for Hawaii Island/Big Island?

iaam
03-07-2012, 05:46 PM
We are planning a trip to HI in June. I think we have narrowed it down to Maui and the Big Island. Maui seems straightforward - we'll stay at a beachfront condo (TBD) and do lots of water activities/beach. But I can't quite figure out Big Island in terms of the best place to stay... Should we stay in Kona? It looks like there are some beachfront properties there. Or, would we be OK at a place on the Kohala Coast (we could stay at a timeshare that my parents have access to)? Any recommendations would be very welcome.

Some other information that may be helpful: we will have DS (4) and DD (2) as well as my parents with us. We are very 'out-and-about' type of people and will definitely want to see the sights. DH and I will also do some diving.

TIA!

Tondi G
03-08-2012, 02:15 AM
This site explains the different areas of the Big Island fairly well

http://www.letsgo-hawaii.com/accommodations/where-to-stay.html

Zansu
03-08-2012, 04:18 PM
Do Maui. The beaches are much better and there are more things to do and places to eat that are kid-friendly

iaam
03-08-2012, 04:29 PM
Do Maui. The beaches are much better and there are more things to do and places to eat that are kid-friendly

Oh absolutely - we are planning Maui and the Big Island.

123LuckyMom
03-08-2012, 06:05 PM
DH used to live on Oahu, so he's very familiar with all the islands. We've gone several times, but always without kids, and that changes things!

On Maui, we did the sunrise on Mt. Haleakala and the Road to Hana with lots of side hikes. If we were to go back with our DS (3.5), we would still do both those things minus the more challenging hikes, because DS does great in the car, and he loves nature! Your DCs may be different.

On the Big Island, we stayed in different places so we could see more. We stayed in a B&B near the Volcano park, which I would definitely take DS to see. We stayed most of the time at the Hilton Wikoloa Village (I'm not sure of any of these spellings, because I'm not looking them up, so forgive me if they're off base). DS would LOVE that hotel, and I'm sure your kids would, too. We used that as a base for Kona. I don't remember the drive being long, but my memory may be off. The Big Island is big, and there's a lot of driving if you want to see different things. If your kids hate the car, you may want to just stick to a resort.

StantonHyde
03-09-2012, 12:34 AM
I just got back from the Big Island--stay on the west side of the island!!! (we stayed on the rainy side)

We spent one night at the Outrigger REsort--it was only $140 a night and that included breakfast and it is right on one of the BEST snorkeling beaches for kids!!!!! It was clean and nice. Not a condo though. I have to have a kitchen for an extended stay.

We did the morning snorkeling tour on the Fair Wind--it was really fun. They have lots of equipment for kids. My kids loved it.

We also hit the beach at the Mauna Kea resort--one mile north of Hapuna Beach. It was fantastic!!!!! And great snorkeling. Rent snorkels at Snorkel Bobs for the whole time and then you don't have to worry about getting them back every day. All beaches in HI are public--its just getting access. So at the Mauna Kea, you get a pass for the guard station and then you can park there. Not sure when you are going-in the summer and weekends and holidays (spring break) these small lots fill up fast.

Volcano National Park was interesting--but you can't see lava right now and half the park is closed due to vog. Bring rain gear--rain jacket and pants. Go to Hilo for the day--it is interesting to see the rain forest and water falls. We did the wagon trip into the Waipio valley. The kids really liked that.

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions!!

geochick
03-09-2012, 01:17 AM
A few years ago we were there and took a small airplane tour of the island. The volcano was really active then, so we saw some amazing lava flows. I'm a geologist, so it was really, really cool. We also saw all sorts of migrating whales in the ocean, some amazing tropical canyons, etc. If you don't get air sick, I'd highly recommend touring the island by air.

iaam
03-09-2012, 11:43 AM
I just got back from the Big Island--stay on the west side of the island!!! (we stayed on the rainy side)

We spent one night at the Outrigger REsort--it was only $140 a night and that included breakfast and it is right on one of the BEST snorkeling beaches for kids!!!!! It was clean and nice. Not a condo though. I have to have a kitchen for an extended stay.

We did the morning snorkeling tour on the Fair Wind--it was really fun. They have lots of equipment for kids. My kids loved it.

We also hit the beach at the Mauna Kea resort--one mile north of Hapuna Beach. It was fantastic!!!!! And great snorkeling. Rent snorkels at Snorkel Bobs for the whole time and then you don't have to worry about getting them back every day. All beaches in HI are public--its just getting access. So at the Mauna Kea, you get a pass for the guard station and then you can park there. Not sure when you are going-in the summer and weekends and holidays (spring break) these small lots fill up fast.

Volcano National Park was interesting--but you can't see lava right now and half the park is closed due to vog. Bring rain gear--rain jacket and pants. Go to Hilo for the day--it is interesting to see the rain forest and water falls. We did the wagon trip into the Waipio valley. The kids really liked that.

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions!!

Thanks so much - this is very helpful!

On the east side, did you stay near the volcano? If you don't mind my asking, where did you stay and would you recommend it (feel free to PM this too)? We are thinking of spending 3 nights on the west side and 2 nights on the east side to minimize driving across the island. And then going to Maui for 4 nights....

geochick
03-09-2012, 12:39 PM
FYI - my mother in law has pretty bad asthma, and the VOG made her really sick on The Big Island. If anyone in your family has asthma, you might want to look at another island.

mackmama
03-09-2012, 03:00 PM
On the big island - Mauna Kea Resort is fantastic, and they are running some good specials right now.

StantonHyde
03-09-2012, 06:20 PM
Couple of things--yes if anyone in your family has breathing issues, then you might want to skip the Big Island right now--the vog is actually rolling over to the west side in the evenings--didn't bother us at all.

Mauna Kea is an awesome resort with an amazing beach. If they had specials, I would grab it!

We stayed in a house on the east side. There are decent hotels in Hilo--I would stay in one of those. I would only stay one night on the east side. Go see the volcano, stay the night in Hilo, see the rain forest hikes/walks and then go back to the west side.

jgive
03-14-2012, 12:33 PM
I visited while cruising so I can't speak to resorts but we loved visiting the Black Sand Beach outside of Hilo. In Maui, we snorkeled and watched the sunset on top of Mt. Haeleakala (sp).