PDA

View Full Version : School closing fail

ahisma
03-08-2012, 08:44 AM
DH teaches high school. This morning he got a robocall stating that school was closed due to a power outage. He got up, took the dog for a walk, hung out a bit and then got online.

Via facebook, he found out that school was open! They sent out emails to staff saying that the power was back on. Of course, most teachers didn't check their email (no reason to at that hour) so there are now 10 out of about 50 teachers there. Some news stations are reporting that the school is open, some are saying that it's closed.

What a mess. Kudos to him for going in, but it's basically a wasted day. Not sure how much teaching can actually happen since they are missing so much staff. Oh - and 1 hour later - calls STILL haven't gone out.

wellyes
03-08-2012, 08:50 AM
He should totally pretend to not read that email like the all the other teachers. I would.

AngB
03-08-2012, 09:07 AM
I used to teach hs and definitely wouldn't have gone in! (I also probably wouldn't have checked my email.) What dummies.

Around here the robocalls go to students too, I wonder if they were called and told it was cancelled?

DietCokeLover
03-08-2012, 09:32 AM
What a mess!

ahisma
03-08-2012, 10:05 AM
I said the same thing - I'd be tempted to stay home. He wouldn't do it, but I tried.:ROTFLMAO:

Here's how it has played out so far.

6:05 am - robocall for school closure to teachers and students.
6:45 am - email saying that it's open
7:30 am - school opens, he's one of a handful of teachers there
7:49 am - robocall telling him that school is open and that it is urgent that he reports to class

Apparently the kids got robocalls saying that school was open, but not the teachers! I think that the classes are sparse.

wellyes
03-08-2012, 10:08 AM
So parents had to scramble for 2 hours to find childcare, then they called to say it's open? Ouch. I think they should have just left it closed.

crl
03-08-2012, 10:10 AM
Yeah, I'd think a lot of kids would just go back to bed. If mom and dad have already gone to work. . . .

Once you announce it is closed I don't think there's any going back.

Catherine

crl
03-08-2012, 10:11 AM
So parents had to scramble for 2 hours to find childcare, then they called to say it's open? Ouch. I think they should have just left it closed.

High school, I'm sure they weren't looking for child care.

Catherine

zag95
03-08-2012, 12:06 PM
What a mess. Can you imagine being one of 10 teachers to show up and have to manage numbers of kids? What would you even do?? What a wasted day!