PDA

View Full Version : help- first toddler illness

mackmama
03-08-2012, 02:06 PM
DC is 14mo and is sick for the first time. :( I know we have been lucky until now, and this isnt serious - but I am still a worried mama hating to see DC feel yucky.

No fever, clear runny nose, cough, very whiny. seems like might have sore throat. has been refusing naps last couple of days with lots of drooling so we suspected teething troubles.

anything in paticular i should be doing? advice nurse said it sounds like viral cold and to give water throughout day. said to bring in DC tomorrow if not better but not sure why.

what do you guys think? also- should i give tylenol?

ellies mom
03-08-2012, 02:20 PM
Since there isn't a fever, I'd only give tylenol if the child seems really uncomfortable and I suspect it is "pain-based". A lot of times, someone else in the family has the same cold, so I have an idea what the less verbal child is dealing with and I take that into consideration.

It wouldn't hurt to give a dose of tylenol and see how the child responds. Personally, I don't see a reason for a child to remain uncomfortable out of some principle.

lizzywednesday
03-08-2012, 02:22 PM
If there's no fever, I don't see the point of Tylenol, but I am not a big meds person for little ones, so take it as you will.

Keep the fluids up, maybe use a humidifier & saline nasal spray (he'll resist, but it really does help!) like Baby Simply Saline or Little Noses in the metal can, not the squeeze-bottle to thin his boogies.

Keep soft tissues or Boogie Wipes (effectively fabric sheets doused in saline solution and some kid-friendly fragrances; avoid the "fresh" scent like the plague, it's foul) on hand to wipe away the snot as it comes out.

If he likes the bath, a nice warm bath would be great ... or take a shower with him. The warm water & steamy air will also help thin the secretions.

Getting the gunk out of his nose will likely help his throat as well because there will be less to drip down. (Yeah, it's gross, but everything's connected - ears, nose, throat, etc. - so treating one symptom will often help another.)

And if he's got teething pain, try soaking a knotted washcloth in water & tossing it into the freezer for a teether. (Also, if you have those mesh feeder things, you can use frozen fruit for treats & teething pain.)

waitingforgrace
03-08-2012, 02:47 PM
I'd offer Tylenol or ibuprofen to see if it improves the whining/discomfort. If not no need to keep giving it but if it makes things better no reason to suffer. Otherwise same advice as pp have given.

marymoo86
03-08-2012, 03:02 PM
DD responds well to Boiron's Camillia - homeopathic treatment for teething if you want to try that in lieu of tylenol.

I do give her tylenol but at night if the teething is interfering with her sleeping.

I also give DD a double dosing of Elderberry syrup and up vitamin C to help combat colds.

Other things - baby vicks on feet to seems to help with night time cough. You can add eucalyptus oil to bath or humidifer to help with breathing.

mackmama
03-08-2012, 03:56 PM
ok thanks guys.