PDA

View Full Version : How do you price used car seats?

can
03-08-2012, 02:19 PM
I am thinking of trying to sell my Graco Snugride carseat that was used for one child. I would have a little over 3 years life in it and I have an extra base. Just wondering what % you would take off original price? I know a lot of people are not interested in used carseats, but thought I'd try as it was well cared for and seems a waste not to use the remaining years. If I cannot sell I will try to find someone I can donate it to. Thanks!

KrisM
03-08-2012, 02:34 PM
If it has 50% of life left, start with 50% of current cost (not necessarily MSRP) and then go down a bit. So, if it's $90 new, charge $40 or so.

can
03-08-2012, 03:24 PM
If it has 50% of life left, start with 50% of current cost (not necessarily MSRP) and then go down a bit. So, if it's $90 new, charge $40 or so.

Thanks! I was thinking of starting at 50%, but was not sure. I just have seen a lot advertised that are really high. Can't imagine people pay that much when you can just buy new for a bit more!

epiclesis
03-08-2012, 06:49 PM
Since you pretty much half exactly half of its life left, it's much easier to figure out.

For everything else, you should take what the purchase price is, divide it by the amount of years/months it has (there can be anywhere between 6 and 9 years), minus how much you've used, minus a little more to make it worth it to someone.

Hopefully that makes sense. :)

andbabymakes3
03-11-2012, 03:37 PM
FWIW, I sold a Snugride 32 with an extra base awhile back. It was in really good condition, clean and used by one child for a little over a year. Can't recall what I bought it for but I think I sold it for about $55, and pretty easily at that. I know the extra base runs about $50 new.

801kelle
04-06-2012, 12:45 PM
Looking to help my friend's daughter with which infant seat to get as well as educating her, installing the car seat and teaching her how to properly install!!!

PLEASE ADVISE!