PDA

View Full Version : what is the big deal about mineral makeup?

cookiemonster80
03-08-2012, 06:19 PM
I know I'm super late to the game- I've always used clinique powder, lipstick, and bronzer- and sometimes eyeshadows/liner from the free gifts.

How is the mineral makeup better? I know everyone loves it- but why exactly? I don't wear it often- just 3 times a week or so and use a light hand when I do.

AnnieW625
03-08-2012, 06:26 PM
It is suppose to be more natural looking, but for me the "natural" brands I have tried Bare Escentuals, and Everyday Minerals make my almost non existent pores look huge. I really like Clinique's Superbalanced Mineral Makeup though. It is the only powder foundation I have ever bought more than once. I apply this with a MAC skunk brush (dual fiber makeup brush).

daisymommy
03-08-2012, 06:27 PM
The type I use is 100% natural (my main reason for switching 5 years ago). My skin cleared up in a week, it feels very airy and breathable, and no one can tell I'm wearing it. I get compliments all the time that my natural skin is so pretty and flawless...but I'm wearing the mineral powder ;)

FYI I use everyday minerals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

queenmama
03-08-2012, 06:28 PM
I've been using Bare Minerals for about 8 years. I like this stuff because it's light and not cakey, compared to the liquid makeup I'd always used before.

I ran out once (and had to order online at the time) and bought some drugstore minerals (L'Oreal, maybe?) and it was okay, but I definitely prefer this brand.

I never did well with powders, I think because I couldn't figure out how to get good coverage.

edurnemk
03-08-2012, 06:41 PM
Like PP's have mentioned, it looks lighter and and more natural than liquid foundation. They also have less chemicals. I used Bare Minerals for a while, and while I love the look, it actually makes my skin break out (I have super sensitive skin), but any foundation does that to me, so now I only wear it when I dress up (weddings, etc.)

MissyAg94
03-08-2012, 06:41 PM
Two words: Powder everywhere. ;)

I have tried it and I like the finish (very dewey) but like Annie, it makes my pores look big and they really aren't. And Everyday Minerals made my face itch like crazy. So I gave up.

Mikey0709
03-08-2012, 10:11 PM
Same as above for me - caused my face to itch intensely and turned my skin red.... Apparently some ingredient in it caused a bad reaction and I've sampled a few brands.

twowhat?
03-08-2012, 10:53 PM
I switched from Bobbi Brown to Bare Minerals. I really like it - it looks just as good on my face, but with super easy application. I have combo-to-oily skin and I do have to make sure the dry parts of my face are really exfoliated and well-moisturized. Since it's applied with a buffing motion of the brush, it can bring out flaky skin. It's easy to build coverage. I have really uneven skin tone (broken capillaries ALL over - ugh) and it does a really nice job of covering that up without looking caked on.

The one-step foundation application is, for me, a big one. I don't wear makeup daily but with mineral makeup I find myself applying it once or twice a week in the mornings before going to work!

SnuggleBuggles
03-08-2012, 10:55 PM
Bare Minerals made me itch. I tried it at Sephora and the clerk warned me it may happen. She applied it then said to walk around a few minutes- I'd know that fast if it was going to irritate me.

I really like Everyday Minerals. Cheap, no funky ingredients, looks good.

marie
03-08-2012, 10:56 PM
I like it because it's quick, easy to apply, and looks the most natural on. Now I'm not much of a makeup wearer, so you can take my two cents with a grain of salt. ;)

Oh - and I like the sun protection.

stinkyfeet
03-08-2012, 11:02 PM
Bare minerals made my skin itch too. I also didn't like the powdery mess everywhere.

wendibird22
03-09-2012, 12:14 PM
I've been using BM for about 12yrs. Any time I venture to something else I go right back to it. I have combo skin that breaks out in the tzone and I don't find the BM to make that worse. I like how easy it is to get light to heavier coverage depending on the day, to mix colors as my skin gets more sun exposure in spring/summer and that I can sleep with it on and don't feel like it's clogging my pours or smearing all over my sheets. I use the foundation, blush, and eyeshadows (which layer and blend fantastic). I think the key to reducing pour size is mineral veil over the foundation. I use a concealer brush to dab foundation on where I need some extra coverage (so no separate concealer needed). I use the original foundation but some like the matte (less dewy).

twowhat?
03-09-2012, 12:20 PM
I've been using BM for about 12yrs. Any time I venture to something else I go right back to it. I have combo skin that breaks out in the tzone and I don't find the BM to make that worse. I like how easy it is to get light to heavier coverage depending on the day, to mix colors as my skin gets more sun exposure in spring/summer and that I can sleep with it on and don't feel like it's clogging my pours or smearing all over my sheets. I use the foundation, blush, and eyeshadows (which layer and blend fantastic). I think the key to reducing pour size is mineral veil over the foundation. I use a concealer brush to dab foundation on where I need some extra coverage (so no separate concealer needed). I use the original foundation but some like the matte (less dewy).

How is this possible? Do you use a primer? I haven't been using a primer - I apply moisturizer, give it time to sink in, and then apply BM on top of that and then mineral veil. But to me, it's really easy to rub off. I have to remind myself not to touch my face and I have to be careful while blowing my nose or I just wipe it off!

wendibird22
03-09-2012, 02:01 PM
How is this possible? Do you use a primer? I haven't been using a primer - I apply moisturizer, give it time to sink in, and then apply BM on top of that and then mineral veil. But to me, it's really easy to rub off. I have to remind myself not to touch my face and I have to be careful while blowing my nose or I just wipe it off!

If I blow my nose, I do have some foundation on the tissue, but I would with a liquid foundation too. But I don't find it comes off on clothes or sheets unless I'm actively rubbing them against my skin. I don't use a primer and I moisturize with argon oil. I use the standard foundation brush and apply very little to my overall face and then just spot dab with a tiny concealer brush to areas that need a bit more coverage.

queenmama
03-09-2012, 10:31 PM
Those of you who've experienced itchy skin, it could be that you're allergic to bismuth, which some brands do not contain. You might check around and find one that's bismuth-free and see how it works.

I do use a primer, but it's not Bare Minerals and I can't remember the brand. A girl at Sephora recommended it and it works better for me than the mineral veil -- which DOES make me itch -- at helping the makeup stay put.

Sent from my Android phone using Tapatalk

twowhat?
03-09-2012, 10:35 PM
If I blow my nose, I do have some foundation on the tissue, but I would with a liquid foundation too. But I don't find it comes off on clothes or sheets unless I'm actively rubbing them against my skin. I don't use a primer and I moisturize with argon oil. I use the standard foundation brush and apply very little to my overall face and then just spot dab with a tiny concealer brush to areas that need a bit more coverage.

OK, I see what you mean. I may notice more rubbing off because I actually use a couple of layers in order to cover the broken capillaries which are all over my face. Now I'm thinking I want to try the argon oil!