PDA

View Full Version : talk me thru the steps.......

malphy
03-08-2012, 11:27 PM
Dd has serious letter recognition issues. Also numbers.

How do I go about getting her evaluated for a problem? Do I see my ped? Do I arrange it thru her pre-k. I am completely clueless.

I just got her "report card" and was not happy. I think the teacher is afraid to be honest with me.
Tia

SnuggleBuggles
03-08-2012, 11:31 PM
Is it a problem or is it still age appropriate?

wellyes
03-09-2012, 06:07 AM
Is it a public pre-k?
If not, call the public school and ask for an evaluation.

maestramommy
03-09-2012, 07:58 AM
Is it a public pre-k?
If not, call the public school and ask for an evaluation.

:yeahthat: Starting age 3 the public school will do the evaluation for you.

malphy
03-09-2012, 06:57 PM
DD currently attends preschool at a private /daycare school. She is due to attend reg public school in september.

She was 5 in December. I am not sure if it is normal or not that she has issues w/letter recognition. She is bright but she does not have a good atttention span. She is very fidgety and constantly has to move. She has to have a sleep study but that has to wait until my insurance kicks in on April 1. This may or may not be why she may have issues

I just have no idea how I go about getting her assessed. Do I go thru my ped (who thinks she is normal) or do I have to contact her september school? Does the director of her current prek have anything to do with it? She has been out w/family prob so I have not had chance to talk to her this week.

I know the importance of early intervention when it comes to learning disabilities and want to make sure I don't miss the window, iykwim.

SnuggleBuggles
03-09-2012, 07:04 PM
If you can ask your current school director or teachers, that'd be best. They should know this stuff. Otherwise, I'd contact the school district you live in and see if they can refer you from there.

wellyes
03-09-2012, 07:24 PM
I just have no idea how I go about getting her assessed. Do I go thru my ped (who thinks she is normal) or do I have to contact her september school? Does the director of her current prek have anything to do with it? She has been out w/family prob so I have not had chance to talk to her this wee

Again, go to the public school. They are obligated to assess every child. And if she does have an ld, they are obligated to accommodate her. Private daycares and preschools may opt to help, but they are not legally bound to the way public schools are. Just call the administrative office of the public school system, it doesn't matter that she is not currently a student there.

KrisM
03-09-2012, 07:26 PM
Call your local elem. school that she'll attend next year. They'll give you the name and number of who to talk to for having her assessed.