PDA

View Full Version : How does insurance work when change jobs

niccig
03-09-2012, 12:38 AM
DH is going to take the job offer he has.

He hopes to finish up in 2 weeks, take 1 week off, then start the new job.

Do we need to have cobra for that 1 week? Guessing we'll have to pay a month's worth.

Just not sure how you transition from one insurance to another insurance company.

Thanks.

Globetrotter
03-09-2012, 12:39 AM
No idea, but just wanted to say I hope it works out for you guys. hang in there!

ellies mom
03-09-2012, 12:47 AM
It depends. The last time I changed jobs where insurance was an issue, my "old insurance" covered me to the end of the month and I started my new job a few days before that date, so there was a few days or a week of overlap between the end of the old coverage and the start of the new coverage. So maybe he could time his notice period accordingly.

niccig
03-09-2012, 12:47 AM
No idea, but just wanted to say I hope it works out for you guys. hang in there!

Thanks.

DH is excited, he's looking forward to the challenge. They're offering a 2 year contract, which surprised us, as some places won't do contracts anymore. The commute and extra hours won't be great, but the owner said he values work-life balance and they try for that as much as possible in their industry. Eg. he doesn't make them work through lunch, they have to get out for an hour. Other places are much more of a grind. I know even with this, DH will put a lot of time in initially as he wants to impress, be successful.

He did get other options this week. One was at a really great company, but they just want freelance for first month and then see about permanent, and there won't be any managing of work. DH feels he needs to try to make that transition now, and if it doesn't work, he can go back to being a worker-bee.

We'll give it a go.

niccig
03-09-2012, 12:51 AM
It depends. The last time I changed jobs where insurance was an issue, my "old insurance" covered me to the end of the month and I started my new job a few days before that date, so there was a few days or a week of overlap between the end of the old coverage and the start of the new coverage. So maybe he could time his notice period accordingly.

Ohh..I'll suggest this to him. He's supposed to give 3 weeks notice at current job, but they said they'll waive that if he wants to move on earlier.

JustMe
03-09-2012, 12:54 AM
Congratulations and I hope you and dh end up loving this change.

Does the insurance at his new place or work start immediately? Some companies have waiting periods that can sometimes be 90 days or more and sometimes at least until the new month starts.

I agree with what the other poster said that you are ususally not cut off of insurance mid-month, as insurance companies charge by the month and don't prorate for less than a month. I would clarify this with the place your dh is leaving.

That said, if we are talking about 1 week, I would go without for that 1 week. Sure there is some risk. If you don't feel comfortable with that I am pretty sure you would have to pay for the whole month of cobra and would not be able to pay for just one week.

Globetrotter
03-09-2012, 01:04 AM
but the owner said he values work-life balance and they try for that as much as possible in their indust

That's promising.

niccig
03-09-2012, 01:06 AM
That's promising.

It is. They're still at the mercy of the client, but some places are know for being worse than others because of the owner's attitude to work.

Mermanaid
03-09-2012, 01:10 AM
Several variables need to be answered before making a decision about COBRA:

1. Check plan summary at current work place to see when coverage ends. Sometimes it is on the last day of employment, sometimes it goes through the end of the month.
2. Confirm when coverage at new employer starts - day 1 or is there a waiting period.
3. If there is a waiting period, is coverage retroactive to day 1 or on date eligibility occurs?

Based on the answers, you may or may not need COBRA coverage. Good luck!

Uno-Mom
03-09-2012, 01:55 AM
Wow, good for him! That sounds like a great move. Sorry, no insurance advice.

spunkybaby
03-09-2012, 03:19 AM
From what I remember, the COBRA paperwork gives various payment options and deadlines--for example, pay $X by April 1, pay $Y by April 15, and pay $Z by April 30. I think as long as you make the payment by the deadline, then your insurance is covered for the entire period. So you may be able to skip paying the COBRA at first, knowing that you can pay a little later if you end up needing the coverage for the short time period between jobs.

Here's some info from a COBRA FAQ (http://www.cobrainsurance.com/COBRA_FAQ.htm):

Within what time period does the Qualified Beneficiary have the option of electing COBRA?

A qualified beneficiary may elect COBRA coverage at any time within 60 days after the date plan coverage terminates, or, if later 60 days after the date of the notice to the qualified beneficiary from the plan administrator. The 60-day period permits a qualified beneficiary to "adopt a wait-and-see approach to continued coverage, and then elect if and when medical care is required during the election period. If the plan administrator has not sent the notice of qualifying event, the election period remains open. The 60 day period is a minimum.

zag95
03-09-2012, 06:27 AM
When I worked in HR over 10 yrs ago, your insurance coverage was good till the end of the month in which you resigned.

We had people sign up for insurance and it started the month following when they started (e.g- if you started 3/9, it began 4/1)

I'd see when you insurance expires and new begins (per HR policiies)

If it's of concern, I'd do 1 mo of Cobra.... just to be sure.

Congrats to him- hope the job change goes well!

amandabea
03-09-2012, 06:45 AM
You generally cannot sign up for COBRA until after you depart the company. Therefore, I would wait and see what happens that week. If you have a need for it, then sign up for COBRA after the fact and it will be retroactive back to that date.

BDKmom
03-09-2012, 09:18 AM
If you do find that there will be a gap in coverage, you can also consider getting a short-term individual plan. I did this when changing jobs about 5 years ago. My new employer had a 90 day probation period before benefits started. The individual plan cost me $85 a month, whereas COBRA was going to be about $300 a month.

peanut520
03-09-2012, 10:40 AM
Glad to hear things are working out.

we hadto go through this a few time the last few years with dh being laid off.

1. coverage usually last until the end of the month
2. talk to the hr dept of the new company to be sure to there new hire insurance policy. some companies have 30 days-6 months waiting periods.
3. i forget, are you working? if you are, dh's job change is considered a life change and you can carry the in insurance for a few months if there is a gap. you will be able to drop coverage and go to his insurance when he is eligible as gaining insurance is also considered a life change.

daniele_ut
03-09-2012, 12:22 PM
I quit my job a few weeks ago and we changed to dh's insurance, plus I've had several job changes over the last 10 years that have required insurance changes.

It's not always true that your insurance will continue until the end of the month. I assumed ours would, as did the HR person at dh's school, but the HR person at my employer let me know their contracts are written so that insurance terminates on the day of separation from the job. I confirmed this with phone calls to both insurance companies (med and dental). My job ended 2/20 and new insurance started 3/1.

You can have a gap of up to 63 days in coverage without having to worry about denial for pre-existing conditions. When I left a previous job and had a 30 day waiting period, I was told to wait to elect COBRA and do it ONLY if I needed it during those 30 days, since you can elect COBRA up to 60 days after you leave your job and be covered retroactively.

ett
03-09-2012, 02:04 PM
If the insurance coverage is not until the end of the month, does he have any vacation days that he can use for that last week?

Indianamom2
03-09-2012, 02:56 PM
Several variables need to be answered before making a decision about COBRA:

1. Check plan summary at current work place to see when coverage ends. Sometimes it is on the last day of employment, sometimes it goes through the end of the month.
2. Confirm when coverage at new employer starts - day 1 or is there a waiting period.
3. If there is a waiting period, is coverage retroactive to day 1 or on date eligibility occurs?

Based on the answers, you may or may not need COBRA coverage. Good luck!

:yeahthat:

I almost wrote this exact post a couple weeks ago. Here's how our situation is working out:

Dh ended his job early in the month of February....he was covered until the end of that month by his previous employer's health plan.

His new employer's health plan doesn't kick in until April 1st. We have all the paperwork for Cobra coverage, but it is about $1800+ for one month for a family of four. We will technically be uncovered for a period of 31 days.

According to the everything we have read/heard/discussed about Cobra, we have 62/63? days to opt in to Cobra and I believe coverage would be retroactive. We are opting at this time to not pay for the coverage and try to make it through the month. But if anything catastrophic happens, we should be able to still elect Cobra coverage and have it covered within that 60-some day period. (If anyone knows differently, please feel free to correct me, this is just what we have been told).

Our goal is just to make it through March healthy and safe!

niccig
03-09-2012, 03:53 PM
Thanks all. I'll have to get DH to find out those answers. I like that we can wait and see what new start day will be and then have COBRA go back to termination date if we need it.

I am though rushing to get DS and I in for eye exams, new glasses for me and DS's dental in the next 10 days or so. The dental, I can push back until new insurance if I have to - there's no urgency there. But I definitely want to get my new glasses.

Thanks all.

nfceagles
03-09-2012, 04:08 PM
I'm no expert, but like some pps, I've always heard that COBRA could be elected later and retroactively.

belovedgandp
03-09-2012, 04:12 PM
We've just held our breath for the two times we've been between jobs without health insurance. One time it was 30 days the other time was 60 days. If something major had happened during that time we could have gone back and paid for the cobra coverage. But for the cost of the cobra we could delay non essential medical appointments the month or two and pay out of pocket sick child visit or two for way less than the cobra amount if needed.

We lucked out and didn't have any medical expenses in either of our recent windows.

niccig
03-09-2012, 04:16 PM
You can have a gap of up to 63 days in coverage without having to worry about denial for pre-existing conditions.

Thanks Daniele. This is what I needed to know. I have pre-existing condition and need them to be covered without having to wait.