PDA

View Full Version : I feel so embarassed when someone comes over our house and the house is a mess

TwoBees
03-09-2012, 10:02 AM
Ugh. The plumber is coming today to fix the dishwasher and our house is a pigsty. It's been a rough, busy week, there are dirty dishes in the sink, clean dishes in the dish drain and counter that haven't been put away, piles of paper from daycare and mail on the counters, ick. The list goes on. I'm sure the plumber sees stuff like this all the time but I'm so embarassed that he'll think we are ALWAYS this way. Actually, I can't even stand to be in my own house right now.

SnuggleBuggles
03-09-2012, 10:06 AM
Kick in the pants to speed clean? SOmeone just gave me a 10 minute warning that she was coming and I got an amazing amount of stuff done in that time! Last night, I turned on 1 5 minute long song and made everyone pick up- that got lots done too! I think I'd see what could be done fast and then not worry.

But, I totally know the feeling. Even when I think things are pretty clean, I always see it through their eyes and notice a million things that make it not so great.

trales
03-09-2012, 10:16 AM
I could have written your post. There is something on every surface of my house right now. I just want to go back and hide in bed.

flashy09
03-09-2012, 10:22 AM
Ugh me too.

TwinFoxes
03-09-2012, 10:28 AM
Speed clean. And make use of the oven as "dirty dishes staging area". Just be sure to move them from the staging area to the dishwasher when he leaves. ;)

hellokitty
03-09-2012, 10:31 AM
I do too, but honestly, they have probably seen worse. Our unfinished side of our basement is a hell hole. I felt really bad when our ADT guy (who had to come over EIGHT times) had to go to our circuit box each time. He told me he's seen a lot worse and the same with the furnace guy, we told him we were sorry it was such a mess down there and he said, "don't worry, I've seen much worse than this!"

MSWR0319
03-09-2012, 10:44 AM
Me too! The last time this happened, I didn't know they were coming and I was still in my pajamas. I opened the door and it was my prom date from high school. Talk about embarrassing. He told me you wouldn't believe the things he sees (he works for the phone company). I have a friend who's husband also works for the phone company and she tells horror stories. I'm sure a little mess is the least of their worries. Nonetheless, it's still embarrassing!

KLD313
03-09-2012, 12:20 PM
As someone who used to go i to houses all the time to quote people on HVAC systems, there's always a house worse than yours. Trust me these people have seen it all. I've seen homes with stuff stacked floor to ceiling, birdseed piled up under the cage, stuff would fall out of the closet when you opened it, I had walk on things on the floor and the very worst was a nice little old man that was covered in bugs. Because of all this I've stopped stressing over my house when a repairman has to come.

scrooks
03-09-2012, 12:24 PM
I could have written your post. There is something on every surface of my house right now. I just want to go back and hide in bed.

Same here!

smiles33
03-09-2012, 01:09 PM
... the very worst was a nice little old man that was covered in bugs. Because of all this I've stopped stressing over my house when a repairman has to come.

:47:
OK, I officially feel better about the dirty dishes in the sink, toys strewn everywhere, and my still not 100% potty-trained toddler's underwear and pants (from her latest accident) hanging to dry in the bathtub after I rinsed them out.

TwoBees
03-09-2012, 01:14 PM
As someone who used to go i to houses all the time to quote people on HVAC systems, there's always a house worse than yours. Trust me these people have seen it all. I've seen homes with stuff stacked floor to ceiling, birdseed piled up under the cage, stuff would fall out of the closet when you opened it, I had walk on things on the floor and the very worst was a nice little old man that was covered in bugs. Because of all this I've stopped stressing over my house when a repairman has to come.

Oh that's disgusting. :barf:

In the end, it worked out. Because he saw the dishes in the sink and told me that by washing them first with dish soap or letting soapy water wash over them, we were impairing the function of the dishwasher, because of soap build up. So, that could very well be one reason our dishwasher hasn't been working so well.

hellokitty
03-09-2012, 01:29 PM
Oh that's disgusting. :barf:

In the end, it worked out. Because he saw the dishes in the sink and told me that by washing them first with dish soap or letting soapy water wash over them, we were impairing the function of the dishwasher, because of soap build up. So, that could very well be one reason our dishwasher hasn't been working so well.

Lol, so he's saying don't wash your dishes before putting them in the DW? Our DW is a POS and if you don't wash them first, then the dishes look gross afterward. Anyway, glad it worked out. I have to admit that with the addition of each kid, I've become more chill about how service ppl seeing my house in live in condition.

Oh and in regards to seeing everything. One of my classmates during our community health clinicals did home health (I did healthcare for the homeless, didn't even get to houses, but went to visit ppl under bridges and in shelters) and I still remember her story of the lady who kept cans of PEE all over her house. She had trouble making it to the bathroom, so would use empty food cans to pee in... but didn't empty them out. So, if you feel bad about your house, think about the lady with the canned pee...

artvandalay
03-09-2012, 02:04 PM
Me too! The last time this happened, I didn't know they were coming and I was still in my pajamas. I opened the door and it was my prom date from high school. Talk about embarrassing.

Oh no! lol.

BabbyO
03-09-2012, 02:09 PM
Chant: "My house is for living, not for cleaning." Straighten as you can and enjoy life.

Been there, though!

Globetrotter
03-09-2012, 02:16 PM

See, it was meant to be! You helped solve the problem of your malfunctioning dishwasher. Good to know, btw. I scrape off hardened stuff with water but dh is paranoid about putting in clean dishes!

I just apologize when that sort of thing happens to me. It's a guy, first of all, and they don't notice things, and he goes around to a lot of houses so he has seen worse…

but a man covered in bugs? cans of pee? :eek:

I am feeling really good about my house after hearing these stories.

TwoBees
03-09-2012, 03:45 PM
Lol, so he's saying don't wash your dishes before putting them in the DW?

He said scrape them, but don't wash them.

And major EWWW on the pee story.

Meatball Mommie
03-09-2012, 06:50 PM
I was in the same boat earlier this week! We are in the process of a refi and the appraiser had to come and inspect the house. Well, I completely forgot (as did DH) until my phone alarm went off 15 min prior to the appt. I was at work 5 min away and rushed home to speed clean! I was MORTIFIED!

Let's just say I plan to do a major clean this weekend! The stories everyone mentioned earlier make me feel a little bit better though ;) At least we don't have bugs of any kind and def. no cans of pee hanging around!!!!

SnuggleBuggles
03-09-2012, 06:52 PM
I was in the same boat earlier this week! We are in the process of a refi and the appraiser had to come and inspect the house. Well, I completely forgot (as did DH) until my phone alarm went off 15 min prior to the appt. I was at work 5 min away and rushed home to speed clean! I was MORTIFIED!

Let's just say I plan to do a major clean this weekend! The stories everyone mentioned earlier make me feel a little bit better though ;) At least we don't have bugs of any kind and def. no cans of pee hanging around!!!!

Slightly OT- can I say how happy I am that we qualified for a drive by appraisal for our refi? No cleaning! But, I actually could have used that kick in the butt to really get the house in great shape.

maestramommy
03-09-2012, 06:54 PM
Yesterday I took one look around, and said, this house is officially a mess. All these drawings in every corner, books everywhere. Our clutter counter buried under more crap. Sippy cups in unusual places.

Thank God for my cleaning lady. She is my kick in the butt every two weeks.

Melaine
03-09-2012, 07:34 PM
I have had a lot of maintenance repair household type people come early lately.....what the heck is up with that? Don't these people realize they are supposed to come late?