PDA

View Full Version : MA moms, have you ever seen a black widow spider locally?

wencit
03-09-2012, 02:01 PM
Please talk me down from this ledge. I woke up this morning to find a spider in my kitchen that looks like a black widow. It was shiny black with a body about 1/4" long with some kind of marking on its abdomen. I didn't get a close look because I immediately started shaking when I saw it. It looked almost exactly like the black widow they have on exhibit at the Museum of Science. Unfortunately, it crawled back into a crack while I was Googling "how to kill black widow."

I called the Orkin guy, and he told me in 17 years in the business, he's never seen a black widow up here, so he wasn't going to come out and take a look. I'm thinking of calling a different pest control company, but is the Orkin guy right? Am I freaking out for no reason? I talked to another friend who has lived here almost her whole life, and she said she's never seen a black widow, either. Should I just calm down, or did I hit the Massachusetts Spider Lottery?

Obviously, I am a self-confessed arachnophobe and so, so scared. Thanks for your help!

R2sweetboys
03-09-2012, 03:24 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. I've lived in Maine my entire life and have never seen one. It's too cold up here for them. It's possible that you saw a false black widow, they're common on the East coast. The red hourglass on a black widow is on the underside of the abdomen, so any marking you thought you saw would have been on the back.(not a black widow) I'm not a big fan of spiders myself so I understand you freaking out!

wellyes
03-09-2012, 03:28 PM
What a scare! I've seen a lot of spiders, but never a black widow.

BabyBearsMom
03-09-2012, 03:34 PM
When I was growing up in CT, my Dad found one on our roof when he was doing work up there once, so I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility in MA. According to this map from national Geographic they live pretty far north, so MA seems reasonable: http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/bugs/black-widow-spider/

Aishe
03-09-2012, 03:43 PM
I'm not in MA, but unfortunately I have seen many black widows on our property so maybe I can put your fears to rest.

First, black widows have a very distinctive body type. Google some pictures and you'll see what I mean. They have very long legs toward the front of their bodies and their bodies/abdomens are kind of swollen looking. It's what makes them so sinister looking.
Second, the marking on their abdomen typically is a bright red hourglass shape. It's pretty unmistakable. Finally, you don't typically see black widows strolling around during they day. I won't lie: I have seen them in daytime, but they are rampant in our area. It's not the norm to see them in daytime. They generally hide/sleep during the day and then come out at night to catch their prey.

If the exterminator has never seen them in your area then my guess is you don't have a problem. Wish we could say the same!

brittone2
03-09-2012, 03:44 PM
The weekend we moved into our house in NC, we saw a black widow on the edge of the grass where it met the wooded portion of our lot. It was shiny and black. Having never seen one up until that point, it just looked like a "don't screw with me" spider, LOL.

I was very freaked out. DH killed it. It did have the red mark on its abdomen. We of course looked it up and confirmed it was a black widow.

We never saw another one in our 5 years in that house, thankfully (indoors or out).

wolverine2
03-09-2012, 03:47 PM
Never seen one. I have seen a brown recluse in Maine before though.

KLD313
03-09-2012, 04:00 PM
When I was growing up in CT, my Dad found one on our roof when he was doing work up there once, so I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility in MA. According to this map from national Geographic they live pretty far north, so MA seems reasonable: http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/bugs/black-widow-spider/

OMG I'm not listening to this says the girl living in CT who is freaking out right now!

nfceagles
03-09-2012, 04:00 PM
Live in CT now, but grew up in AZ and have seen my share of black widows. I've never seen one here, but when I was younger my great grandmother in Maine got bit by a brown recluse spider, they even trapped and verified it. They think it must have gotten there in a Christmas package we had sent from AZ. So all that to say I think it's possible something could have come in a package from another part of the country, but it won't live forever and won't reproduce.

Also, in AZ we had tons of them and never had a pest company out to erradicate them. We lived amongst them and were never bitten.

Did you actually see the underside of the abdomen? That's where the red hourglass is.

wencit
03-09-2012, 05:56 PM
Did you actually see the underside of the abdomen? That's where the red hourglass is. Do you mean the red hourglass is on its belly (not back)? I don't THINK I saw its belly, but I'm not 100% positive, because like I said, as soon as I saw that sucker, I stopped dead in my tracks and started freaking out. I swear it looked just like the one at the museum. Good to know about the belly thing, though.

First, black widows have a very distinctive body type. Google some pictures and you'll see what I mean. They have very long legs toward the front of their bodies and their bodies/abdomens are kind of swollen looking. It's what makes them so sinister looking. It had a very similar shape to the Googled pictures. Big, swollen body. Nothing like any other spider I've ever seen before.

Finally, you don't typically see black widows strolling around during they day. I won't lie: I have seen them in daytime, but they are rampant in our area. It's not the norm to see them in daytime. They generally hide/sleep during the day and then come out at night to catch their prey. I wouldn't say it was strolling around. It was hanging out on its web, and it was early in the morning (6AM), so maybe we just happened to catch it on a late night run? ;) It retreated back to its crevice pretty soon after I saw it (like I said, just enough time for me to Google how to kill it), and has been pretty dormant all day long.

If the exterminator has never seen them in your area then my guess is you don't have a problem.I hope not. I wasn't able to get anyone out here today. I know it's been hanging in the crevice all day because I can sort of see its legs half sticking out. One exterminator (on vacation, so he couldn't come out here) told me to just spray it with a can of Raid. I might do that if I happen to catch it again tomorrow morning. I really don't know if I am going to be able to sleep well until it's dead and/or out of my house!

Aishe
03-09-2012, 06:00 PM
I wouldn't say it was strolling around. It was hanging out on its web, and it was early in the morning (6AM), so maybe we just happened to catch it on a late night run? ;) It retreated back to its crevice pretty soon after I saw it (like I said, just enough time for me to Google how to kill it), and has been pretty dormant all day long.

What does the web look like? Is it a Charlotte's Web kind of deal or is it messy and cobweb-like? If it's the former, no problem. If it's the latter, well, that's more suspicious.

Yes, the red hourglass marking is on the underside of its abdomen, not on the top.

ETA: can you take a flashlight and get a better look at it? Now I'm really curious:-)

tribe pride
03-09-2012, 06:10 PM
I used to live in MA, but now live in the SE, and we have have had black widow issues in our house. We've had 4 or 5 INSIDE the house in the 4 years we've lived here, not to mention a lot outside on the porch and windows. And unfortunately, they have all been spotted in the middle of the day, not at night. One was in its cobwebby web inside a desk drawer, and the other ones, I hate to say, were just sitting out there in plain view, away from their webs. Two on the kitchen walls and counter, and another just chilling on the front door.

Needless to say, we now have an exterminator come every three months to spray for spiders (and other insects). We've only had 1 black widow since we started that, 2 years ago. If you're really concerned, I'd call another exterminator and see about possibly having someone come regularly. It's also helped us to get rid of ants and they set traps for mice, too. So not just for spiders.

So, so sorry you're dealing with this. After growing up in the NE, black widows completely freak me out!!!

wencit
03-09-2012, 06:23 PM
What does the web look like? Is it a Charlotte's Web kind of deal or is it messy and cobweb-like? If it's the former, no problem. If it's the latter, well, that's more suspicious. Just messy and cobweb-like. No pretty pattern or anything (which is part of the reason I'm suspicious). It's not a funnel shape, though, as far as I can tell.

ETA: can you take a flashlight and get a better look at it? Now I'm really curious:-) The crevice is pretty small, so I can't see it at all, just its legs peeking out. Plus, ewwww! I'm trying my best not to look at it! :)

wencit
03-09-2012, 06:25 PM
tribe pride, please tell me you mean that you're seeing all these black widows in the SE!

*shiver*

ETA: How did you kill them inside your house? Did you just squash them with a shoe?

Aishe
03-09-2012, 07:53 PM
Just messy and cobweb-like. No pretty pattern or anything (which is part of the reason I'm suspicious). It's not a funnel shape, though, as far as I can tell.

The crevice is pretty small, so I can't see it at all, just its legs peeking out. Plus, ewwww! I'm trying my best not to look at it! :)

Well, I hate to say it, but what you're describing sounds fairly widow-like to me. Of course, that doesn't mean it is one, but I wouldn't ignore it. Is it getting dark there? When it gets dark, go check on it and see if it has come out of its hiding place. (Sometimes I find them just as they're stretching those spindly legs out:barf:) Then you can get a better look at it and kill it.

I find it hard to just smash them with a shoe. They're very fast and if they sense the slightest disturbance to their web they retreat very quickly. We usually torch them with a lighter (the long utility kind). That probably makes us sound terribly inhumane, but we get so many that we can't afford to be fussy about these things. Torching them is really fast and effective. (Of course, we don't do that if there's a risk that we're going to set the house on fire or anything. But my DH has gotten really good at just getting the spider and nothing else.) Make sure you go after it from above. If you come in from the side you risk moving the web and then it will be out of there before you can get to it.

Oh, I should also note that a young widow may not have the red hourglass marking. Instead it often will have markings on its back, usually white dots. I look for the body type more than markings.

Aishe
03-09-2012, 07:53 PM
I used to live in MA, but now live in the SE, and we have have had black widow issues in our house. We've had 4 or 5 INSIDE the house in the 4 years we've lived here, not to mention a lot outside on the porch and windows. And unfortunately, they have all been spotted in the middle of the day, not at night. One was in its cobwebby web inside a desk drawer, and the other ones, I hate to say, were just sitting out there in plain view, away from their webs. Two on the kitchen walls and counter, and another just chilling on the front door.

Needless to say, we now have an exterminator come every three months to spray for spiders (and other insects). We've only had 1 black widow since we started that, 2 years ago. If you're really concerned, I'd call another exterminator and see about possibly having someone come regularly. It's also helped us to get rid of ants and they set traps for mice, too. So not just for spiders.

So, so sorry you're dealing with this. After growing up in the NE, black widows completely freak me out!!!

Wow, you have bold widows! Ours are sneakier than that.

wencit
03-10-2012, 12:35 AM
OMG OMG OMG OMG, I should have read this thread before I looked at the spider again, Aishe. I just got back from a MNO at 11PM and sure enough, the spider was out there again. I took a look at it and swore I could see red markings on its abdomen. I didn't see your post, so I tried to kill it with my shoe, and it was out of there super fast. In fact, it PLAYED DEAD, which is a hallmark of black widows (Googled it). Per another exterminator, I tried spraying it with Raid (for ants), but the stream was so strong that it pushed the spider into another crevice, and now I CAN'T FIND IT!!! I am SO FREAKING OUT RIGHT NOW!

OMG, I am shaking so bad. I have no idea what to do. I don't think I can stay another night in this house (we are moving in 3 weeks). It's 11:35PM, and I am at my wit's end.

Aishe
03-10-2012, 02:51 AM
OMG OMG OMG OMG, I should have read this thread before I looked at the spider again, Aishe. I just got back from a MNO at 11PM and sure enough, the spider was out there again. I took a look at it and swore I could see red markings on its abdomen. I didn't see your post, so I tried to kill it with my shoe, and it was out of there super fast. In fact, it PLAYED DEAD, which is a hallmark of black widows (Googled it). Per another exterminator, I tried spraying it with Raid (for ants), but the stream was so strong that it pushed the spider into another crevice, and now I CAN'T FIND IT!!! I am SO FREAKING OUT RIGHT NOW!

OMG, I am shaking so bad. I have no idea what to do. I don't think I can stay another night in this house (we are moving in 3 weeks). It's 11:35PM, and I am at my wit's end.

Oh man, I am so sorry. I have totally been there. We just bought this house in July and I nearly had a nervous breakdown when I realized just how rampant widows are in this area. Spraying Raid was really bad advice. They don't respond at all to that. Cross that exterminator off your list!

Here's the good news: black widows are actually very timid. And they don't move much. There's a good chance that widow hasn't gone anywhere. It might just lay low for a day or two. They only bite when they feel threatened - as in, you pick up a rock and accidentally grab them or some similar situation. So the chances of anyone in your family getting bitten are really very remote, especially if it's a just a lone widow. And yay, you're out of there in three weeks! I totally understand why you're freaking out, but honestly it is highly unlikely that it poses a real threat. I don't even want to think about how many I have found in my house. I know all their hiding places now. I think so much like a black widow that I told DH he better watch his back!:)

wencit
03-10-2012, 09:54 AM
Thanks. I am kicking myself that I didn't just cover it with a glass and call an exterminator (different one from Raid guy) on Monday morning.

I was totally hysterical last night and told DH that we are moving into a hotel first thing in the morning for the next 3 weeks, no matter the cost! I didn't get much sleep last night, but I am a bit more lucid this morning. You're right, we've already been living with this spider for who-knows-how-long (I remember seeing the web before in the same place and brushing it away). I realize the odds of being bitten while we're sleeping are really low. As long as it stays in its little corner by the kitchen window, I think I'll be OK for the next 3 weeks -- what is that saying about knowing thine enemy? ;)

Thanks again for your help and reassurance. Now I just have to be extra careful that we don't accidentally take a black widow with us when we move out of here! Going to be the longest 3 weeks of my life!

artvandalay
03-10-2012, 10:00 AM
Omg, I am reading your thead and I feel so sorry for you. I would be freaking out big time as well.

At least you only have 3 weeks left... and if they mostly come out at night then the chances of you seeing it are slim.

nfceagles
03-10-2012, 01:02 PM
I realize you don't know where it is now, but if you see it again, how about vacuuming it up with a crevice tool? May pose it's own problems, like making sure it's not still in the vacuum when you move, but you could throw the vacuum out for cheaper than a 3 week hotel stay! That's how I usually deal with spiders because I don't like getting close and smashing them.

Aishe
03-10-2012, 02:16 PM
I realize you don't know where it is now, but if you see it again, how about vacuuming it up with a crevice tool? May pose it's own problems, like making sure it's not still in the vacuum when you move, but you could throw the vacuum out for cheaper than a 3 week hotel stay! That's how I usually deal with spiders because I don't like getting close and smashing them.

Oh yeah, vacuuming is another option. Then just throw out the bag or empty the container. I've done it that way, but honestly, I feel better when I actually see them die. Again, if you vacuum, make sure you go in from above.

Aishe
03-10-2012, 02:21 PM
Thanks. I am kicking myself that I didn't just cover it with a glass and call an exterminator (different one from Raid guy) on Monday morning.

I was totally hysterical last night and told DH that we are moving into a hotel first thing in the morning for the next 3 weeks, no matter the cost! I didn't get much sleep last night, but I am a bit more lucid this morning. You're right, we've already been living with this spider for who-knows-how-long (I remember seeing the web before in the same place and brushing it away). I realize the odds of being bitten while we're sleeping are really low. As long as it stays in its little corner by the kitchen window, I think I'll be OK for the next 3 weeks -- what is that saying about knowing thine enemy? ;)

Thanks again for your help and reassurance. Now I just have to be extra careful that we don't accidentally take a black widow with us when we move out of here! Going to be the longest 3 weeks of my life!

It's totally not going to bite you while you sleep, I promise:) It will be fine. If you didn't live on the other side of the country, I would happily come kill it for you!

hellokitty
03-10-2012, 02:44 PM
Oh wencit, I have no advice, but feel badly for you. I would be freaking out too. I hope it's not a widow.

tribe pride
03-10-2012, 03:59 PM
tribe pride, please tell me you mean that you're seeing all these black widows in the SE!

*shiver*

ETA: How did you kill them inside your house? Did you just squash them with a shoe?

Oh gosh, yes, I'm seeing them in the SE! Sorry my post didn't make that clear, I didn't mean to freak you out anymore! I never saw one when I lived in MA (or when I was in NY, for that matter). Apparently there are brown recluses around here, too, but I've thankfully never seen one. My BIL was bitten by one while he was mowing his lawn (I guess it was down in the grass), and ended up with a big chunk of flesh on his leg that just died. It healed, but he still has a scar. There are a lot of nice things about living in the SE, but the spiders (and other pests like snakes) are not one of them!

To answer your question, yes, we just squash them with a shoe. And then clean the shoe really well so that there is no trace of poison or anything.