PDA

View Full Version : Help - Pet Snake

vdrake71
03-09-2012, 02:55 PM
We have a corn snake (bought it in January), and it haven't eaten the last four mice (2 weeks). Does anyone have a snake? I was thinking that he was not eating because he was losing his skin. Any suggestions? Are there any good sites that I should be looking at?

Kymberley
03-09-2012, 02:57 PM
2 weeks seems like a long time for it not to eat. Do his eyes look milky? I'm no snake expert, but we've had a couple. The corn snake we had never missed a meal, but he did seem to hide a lot before he shed his skin. I wish I could remember more and could help!

Kymberley
03-09-2012, 03:01 PM
Okay, sorry, just read up on it and your snake sounds fine. Keep offering prey, and hopefully he'll eat soon. They can go quite a while without eating and be fine. Don't mess with him too much. Let him shed (if that's what he's doing) and hopefully he'll feel better afterward. Is he a recent hatchling? If you can see his back bone, then it's time to be concerned (from what I've read).

BabyBearsMom
03-09-2012, 03:27 PM
Don't know about snakes, but my parents have a pet tarantula and she can go weeks without eating. And when she is shedding her skin she literally goes into like a comatose state for a little while. It is weird. I don't know how my parents know if she is alive or not.

Kymberley
03-09-2012, 04:50 PM
Don't know about snakes, but my parents have a pet tarantula and she can go weeks without eating. And when she is shedding her skin she literally goes into like a comatose state for a little while. It is weird. I don't know how my parents know if she is alive or not.

Oo, we used to have one of those living with us as well (not mine). She acted like she was dead when she was molting. It was sooo freaky.

BillK
03-09-2012, 05:08 PM
I had a brown & white banded California King snake and he did the same thing - would go a couple weeks w/o eating - then bam! he'd shed and be ready to eat again. I don't think 2 weeks is much to worry about.

Meatball Mommie
03-09-2012, 06:45 PM
I made the mistake of reading this thread (God only knows why!) and I have a serious case of the willies just thinking about your snake! Hope he/she is ok though ;)

trcy
03-10-2012, 04:43 PM
I think their appetite goes down when shedding and also in the winter. Make sure the cage is the proper temperature. You may want to call a reptile vet if things don't improve. Good luck.

Nu_mama
03-10-2012, 08:05 PM
I made the mistake of reading this thread (God only knows why!) and I have a serious case of the willies just thinking about your snake! Hope he/she is ok though ;)
:yeahthat: