PDA

View Full Version : What dishwashing detergent do you use?

cookiemonster80
03-09-2012, 05:47 PM
And do you like it? We've been using Cascade liquid in our kitchenaid dishwasher for the last month or so and all of our dishes now have a baked on white film- I use vinegar as the rinse agent- no change.

We were using method free and clear tablets until our DD finally was able to not break out after using them and didn't notice anything weird-I'll use them again, but would prefer something a little more economical- and of course, something less hazardous chemical wise would be a huge bonus.

another thing to consider is that the kitchenaid dishwasher has a weird shaped soap compartment- cascade tablet packets don't fit- haven't tried anything else yet.

Has anyone tried Ecover? Thoughts?

lhafer
03-09-2012, 05:51 PM
I use Cascade Complete powder. I don't like the tablets, I don't feel like they get the dishes clean.

Binkandabee
03-09-2012, 05:54 PM
Cascade Complete Powder here also. For a period of time, we did use the gel and noticed the same thing....a film developed. We switched back to the powder and all is sparkly clean again!

wellyes
03-09-2012, 05:56 PM
7th gen powder. Best ever.

SnuggleBuggles
03-09-2012, 05:58 PM
Finish tablets. They came with our Bosch and they have been the best. My 7th Generation liquid sucked but maybe I'll try the powder. I'd much prefer to avoid all the chemicals.

SnuggleBuggles
03-09-2012, 06:00 PM
And do you like it? We've been using Cascade liquid in our kitchenaid dishwasher for the last month or so and all of our dishes now have a baked on white film- I use vinegar as the rinse agent- no change.

We were using method free and clear tablets until our DD finally was able to not break out after using them and didn't notice anything weird-I'll use them again, but would prefer something a little more economical- and of course, something less hazardous chemical wise would be a huge bonus.

another thing to consider is that the kitchenaid dishwasher has a weird shaped soap compartment- cascade tablet packets don't fit- haven't tried anything else yet.

Has anyone tried Ecover? Thoughts?

Too much soap could be causing the film! My friend's dh just told us about that after reading his dishwasher manual a few weeks ago. (It's always nice to be able to use the really random info you encounter!)

Tablets/ packets can just get thrown into the bottom of the dishwasher vs the soap bin, btw.

mikala
03-09-2012, 06:05 PM
We love the Ecover tabs.

jerigirl
03-09-2012, 06:06 PM
You might also try Lemishine (http://www.lemishine.com/) if the film doesn't come off easily.

oneplustwo
03-09-2012, 06:08 PM
We love the Ecover tabs.

:yeahthat: I've been using them for a couple of years now, and love them. I use vinegar as a rinsing agent.

daisymommy
03-09-2012, 06:39 PM
I like Ecover tabs the best, but they are pricey. Second fave is Biokleen powder. Works great and is affordable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

citymama
03-09-2012, 06:47 PM
The Trader Joe's store brand. It's excellent.

maestramommy
03-09-2012, 06:51 PM
We use the Target version of Cascade Rinse and pure. We tried the more eco kind and it just didn't cut grease as well.

AnnieW625
03-09-2012, 06:52 PM
Up until the last couple of weeks we used Cascade liquid, and then because they were on sale at Costco we got the Finish tabs and so far they work really well. We ad some Jet Dry about once every two weeks.

One thing that makes a HUGE difference is whether or not you have soft water or not. We have pretty medium to soft water but still have some water spots if you don't use a liquid or now the tabs, and Jet Dry. Where Citymama lives that is the softest water ever so pretty much any detergent will work there. My parents live an hour north of there and have the hardest water and they get spots on everything no matter detergent they use.

cookiemonster80
03-09-2012, 08:17 PM
Too much soap could be causing the film! My friend's dh just told us about that after reading his dishwasher manual a few weeks ago. (It's always nice to be able to use the really random info you encounter!)

Tablets/ packets can just get thrown into the bottom of the dishwasher vs the soap bin, btw.

totally didn't know that either! thanks.

hellokitty
03-09-2012, 08:31 PM
I can't remember if we're using 7th generation or biokleen. The mass marketed brands were etching our glasses, so that is why I switched, not to mention the chemicals are not as bad.

hillview
03-09-2012, 08:38 PM
biokleen love it
/hillary

cookiemonster80
03-09-2012, 08:43 PM
thanks! I think I'll give biokleen a try- it's not super pricey and has good reviews everywhere I've looked. And safemama likes it.

kijip
03-09-2012, 09:03 PM
We love the Ecover tabs.

Us too.

TwinFoxes
03-09-2012, 10:21 PM
We love the Ecover tabs.

Same here. We used TJs in our old machine, but our Bosch doesn't like it. :(

mikala
03-09-2012, 10:25 PM
The talk about too much soap reminds me of this article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/13/your-money/13shortcuts.html

BillK
03-09-2012, 10:30 PM
Costco pouches.

boilermakermom
03-09-2012, 10:32 PM
We use the Kirland brand tablets. They work well.

For those of you that said you use vinegar as a rinse agent, do you pour it in the dispenser? (where the Jet Dry would go?)

kristenk
03-09-2012, 10:33 PM
We love the Ecover tabs.

Another :yeahthat:. The Ecover tablets work great for us.