PDA

View Full Version : Quick! Choosing smartphone: best pics? Rezound?

Uno-Mom
03-12-2012, 02:15 AM
Please send your suggestions ASAP because I might give in and buy tomorrow!

I'm eligible.for my Verizon upgrade and cost is very much a factor. :).

I've searched old threads and people keep mentioning the Rezound. That was a while ago, does it still do a good job? Other options in my price range are an iPhone 4 and various Droids.

I do my share of web work, streaming radio and emails but the thing I'd most love to upgrade is my camera. I currently have the Incredible and I like its slimness but I'm almost ready to trade the slim shape for a bigger screen...within reason.

Please share your wisdom! I'm planning a grand day off to (belatedly) celebrate my birthday and the Verizon store is on my agenda. Thanks, all.

AnnieW625
03-12-2012, 02:19 AM
I am very happy with my iPhone 4s, as is DH. If you haven't gotten a new phone in over two years you still might have a $100 new every 2 credit, which would make the iPhone 4a only $99.

TwinFoxes
03-12-2012, 06:38 AM
Help from CNET (published a couple of days ago, so very timely):
http://reviews.cnet.com/best-camera-phones/

TwinFoxes
03-12-2012, 06:40 AM
Help from CNET (published a couple of days ago, so very timely):
http://reviews.cnet.com/best-camera-phones/

(don't read just the thumbnail review :) )

Uno-Mom
03-12-2012, 10:31 AM
Thanks! Looking back at threads, it seemed like everybody mentioned the Rezound but no one actually bought it!

BillK
03-12-2012, 12:06 PM
Rezound always seems to get good marks for it's camera. It's just too fat and chunky IMO. But otherwise a pretty good phone - and it's supposedly getting the Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade semi-soon - which is good.

I like my Galaxy Nexus - but the camera is only "good" - not great.

hellbennt
03-13-2012, 08:06 AM
I like my HTC EVO; Bill: how does the HTC's camera compare/rate?

BillK
03-13-2012, 08:57 AM
I believe most HTC phones (incredible, Evo, Rezound, thunderbolt etc) normally get above average marks when it comes to their cameras.

Drag0nflygirl
03-13-2012, 10:19 AM
I had the incredible before DD2 washed it. I liked it a lot - better than my iPhone.

twowhat?
03-13-2012, 10:59 AM
The Galaxy Nexus has been working out really well for us, and I've actually been impressed with the pics it takes when there is plenty of natural light, and outdoor pics. Indoor low light pics suck of course, but they'd suck on any camera other than a DSLR with a good lens. The flash, however, is powerful so I can get pics in low light situations, but they're all flash-filled.

The pics it takes are good enough that I've actually not used our Panasonic point and shoot in ages!! The key is that it takes practice to hold a smartphone steady - it's harder to do than holding a camera steady. But after having this phone a couple months, it's not a big deal to me anymore.

It also runs video really well. DH watches his TV shows off of it from his computer and I use it all the time to take video of the girls.

Here's an example indoor pic against the window - I didn't modify it other than whatever automatic algorithm Flickr applies:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7065/6979338039_fbde592316.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/34241305@N00/6979338039/)

I'd post an outdoor pic but they'd totally show the girls' faces. Outdoor pics are, IMO, quite nice on this camera. The last trip we made to the zoo, we used this phone exclusively to take pictures. The iPhone may take better pics, but I had to balance that with no GPS, etc. I love having the free GPS on this phone.

MommyofAmaya
03-13-2012, 11:08 AM
Changed my mind.

FLYAND
03-13-2012, 12:42 PM
All the cellphone cameras will pale in comparison to a real dedicated decent digital camera due to their tiny sensors and so-so lenses/optics.

FLYAND
03-13-2012, 12:45 PM
The Galaxy Nexus has been working out really well for us, and I've actually been impressed with the pics it takes when there is plenty of natural light, and outdoor pics. Indoor low light pics suck of course, but they'd suck on any camera other than a DSLR with a good lens. The flash, however, is powerful so I can get pics in low light situations, but they're all flash-filled.

The pics it takes are good enough that I've actually not used our Panasonic point and shoot in ages!! The key is that it takes practice to hold a smartphone steady - it's harder to do than holding a camera steady. But after having this phone a couple months, it's not a big deal to me anymore.

It also runs video really well. DH watches his TV shows off of it from his computer and I use it all the time to take video of the girls.

Here's an example indoor pic against the window - I didn't modify it other than whatever automatic algorithm Flickr applies:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7065/6979338039_fbde592316.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/34241305@N00/6979338039/)

I'd post an outdoor pic but they'd totally show the girls' faces. Outdoor pics are, IMO, quite nice on this camera. The last trip we made to the zoo, we used this phone exclusively to take pictures. The iPhone may take better pics, but I had to balance that with no GPS, etc. I love having the free GPS on this phone.

In this picture, the girls are under-exposed and the window is over-exposed. The flash or fill in flash should have been used to help out here. This kind of picture scenario would even challenge a DSLR's auto meter.

twowhat?
03-14-2012, 09:39 AM
In this picture, the girls are under-exposed and the window is over-exposed. The flash or fill in flash should have been used to help out here. This kind of picture scenario would even challenge a DSLR's auto meter.

I know. I wanted it that way and took it for artistic effect - the light coming in through the window casting soft glows on their faces while they're mostly shadowed. I wanted the colors to come out subdued like that and purposefully didn't use flash.

But I am far from a professional photographer so my opinion probably doesn't count!