PDA

View Full Version : How to look pulled together in the summer?

wendibird22
03-12-2012, 10:57 AM
Thanks to all the wonderful BBB fashionistas, I got my act (somewhat) together this fall/winter work wardrobe. I did more daring mix and match, wore shoes other than black or brown, and found some cute chunkier/longer necklaces to accessorize with. I no longer feel frumpy. Well, spring and summer are on the horizon and I need more advice. I'm on vacation for the months of June and July. I primarily hang out at home with the kiddos and dog. We may venture to the playground, zoo, etc but nothing fancy. My usual summer attire is shorts (maybe a skort) with birks and tshirts. What can I do to look pulled together? IMO I just can't see wearing too much jewelry (if at all) or scarves when it's hot and humid. If I'm not leaving the house I can't accessorize with a purse or wristlet and even if I am out and about I'm just not a "change your purse with your outfit" kind of gal.

I see all these outfits pinned on Pinterest and what makes them look great is the purse and big chunky colorful jewelry and matching nail polish. Just doesn't seem practical to me.

ourbabygirl
03-12-2012, 02:03 PM
I don't have much to contribute, though I was going to say jewelry and nail polish. :) You could probably get some cute wispy (not heavy) dangly earrings and a very thin/ fine/ light necklace and bracelet. I have one very thin silver chain with a silver starfish in the middle, a gold chain with a gold flip flop- both are summery and are short enough that they go well with v-necked s/s shirts and tank tops. Also many of us on the BBB have mommy necklaces that are delicate and go well with light summer outfits.

Other than changing out your finger and toenail polish (though I'm more of a French manicure-fingernail-type girl), I'm not sure what to suggest and will be watching this thread for more ideas! :popc1: I'm also finding it especially hard, as a SAHM mom of two little ones (1 and 3) to look put-together and fashionable, especially on a budget. I tried the skirt thing last year (the popular ON jersey ones), but didn't really feel the love, as skirts are hard to pull off when running after toddlers and worrying about a breeze turning me into Marilyn Monroe. ;)

How about a cute new purse/ diaper bag/ beach bag? Something cheery and lightweight?

hellokitty
03-12-2012, 02:48 PM
I agree with OBG. Earrings, a necklace, bracelet, maybe a scarf if it's not to hot, a nice bag and shoes can really pull together a very plain and simple outfit. I've discovered how fun it is to buy costume jewelry. JC Penny's jewelry is sooo cheap now. They have switched to the new sale guideline (mark down 1st and 3rd Friday) and each time I gleefully go shopping at their jewelry display. I get items for only $2-$3 each, items that are normally $15, $20, $24! I've found that accessories really make the outfit, esp as someone who doesn't wear a lot of patterned tops.

jammytoast
03-12-2012, 02:52 PM
Comfy knee length skirt, clean well fitted tshirt, chunky necklace, leather sandals that aren't birks or flip flops. Say no to keens, tevas, crocs for anythîng outside of the house

athompson
03-12-2012, 02:56 PM
Dresses, cute earrings/necklace with pretty sandals! They are so easy to find at good prices...anywhere from TJMaxx to gasp...Sears. I love summer and I love dresses. Please remind me why I live in the Midwest.

newg
03-12-2012, 03:12 PM
I change up my shoes a lot in the summer and keep my shorts and tops simple and basic.........but I am, by no means, a fashionista!!!

I like the Reef sandal brand because they are super comfortable and they have a ton of sandal styles to choose from (leather, nylon w/patterns, flip flops or gladiator styles...) and I can usually get them on sale somehwere.
I'll also wear flats too.

I don't wear too much jewelry with a 19 month old, but I will change my earings and necklaces.

arivecchi
03-12-2012, 03:47 PM
I love neutral colors for summer (especially linen) - all white, tan, gray or brown outifts. Then add great colorful sandals, an awesome bag, great sunglasses and a pretty necklace. Done. :)

elektra
03-12-2012, 03:52 PM
I feel like dresses make you look more pulled together, as opposed to shorts and t's. So that is what I tried to do a bit more last year - get more casual dresses.
That being said, I feel like it's hard for me to find dresses that look right on my body type.

ellies mom
03-12-2012, 04:15 PM
For me, it is all about a-line skirts, nice fitted tees (maybe decorated in some way) and cute comfortable sandals. Throw on a bit of jewelry or maybe a lightweight scarf and I call it good. I don't change my purse out that often but I do have a few I like to use. I don't carry much in my purse though so it only takes a moment. If I don't wear a skirt, I will wear capri pants if it isn't too hot.

TwinFoxes
03-12-2012, 06:49 PM
I agree with the accessories/cute shoes idea. Also, wear t-shirts that have a little style to them. Either an unexpected color, or pattern, or embellishment. And make sure they fit. I think ill-fitting blah t-shirts just say "I don't care". (I wear lots of tees in summer, but I like to think they're cute. :) )

I love neutral colors for summer

Really, just summer? ;) But you do look awesome in that palette. :)

SnuggleBuggles
03-12-2012, 07:00 PM
I love a good dress- try Athleta. I also have a ton of the Old Navy fold over skirts that I pair with simple tanks and cute jewelry. Thinking about some Ugg Hazels for day to day wear. Right now I usually wear some metallic Banana Republic flip flops.

mjs64
03-12-2012, 08:59 PM
I love skirts and dresses in summer (esp dresses--love one piece looks), lace camis underneath, and lightweight jackets or shortsleeved cardigans as completer pieces. Rule of 3 (except with dresses) applies still in summer for helping you look put together, IMO. I don't wear much jewelry either, but I completely agree with finding a pair of great sunglasses.

ray7694
03-13-2012, 12:54 PM
http://www.stylecliques.com/Blogs.aspx

This site has great outfits from Target and Old Navy with others.

arivecchi
03-13-2012, 02:08 PM
I agree with the accessories/cute shoes idea. Also, wear t-shirts that have a little style to them. Either an unexpected color, or pattern, or embellishment. And make sure they fit. I think ill-fitting blah t-shirts just say "I don't care". (I wear lots of tees in summer, but I like to think they're cute. :) )

Really, just summer? ;) But you do look awesome in that palette. :) hehehe.

I am trying to branch out! I swear!

newg
03-13-2012, 02:30 PM
I love skirts and dresses in summer (esp dresses--love one piece looks), lace camis underneath, and lightweight jackets or shortsleeved cardigans as completer pieces. Rule of 3 (except with dresses) applies still in summer for helping you look put together, IMO. I don't wear much jewelry either, but I completely agree with finding a pair of great sunglasses.

I have to ask, as a non-fashionista, what is the rule of three??

wendibird22
03-13-2012, 02:53 PM
Thanks all for the advice and the blog link.

I may have to invest in more sandals with color. I'll take your recommendations for comfy sandals. I have a very narrow foot with a high arch and that is why I revert back to my birks. I need arch support.

Unfortunately I can't play up the sunglasses. I have the tiniest face ever...as in child size. I own one pair of sunglasses that fit. They are youth size Oakley with a red frame. I've had them for years, love them, and they fit. As much as I'd love to keep with the trends in glasses I just can't w/out looking like a kid playing dress up in mom's glasses.

crl
03-13-2012, 02:54 PM
I have to ask, as a non-fashionista, what is the rule of three??

Also a non-fashionista here, but I believe the concept is three items of clothing makes a outfit. So t-shirt and jeans are not an outfit. But t-shirt, cardigan and jeans are an outfit. Iirc, jewelry does not count toward the three. Tougher to do when it is hot as layers are not necessarily comfortable then.

Catherine

SnuggleBuggles
03-13-2012, 02:59 PM
The rule of 3 is entirely ditched by me in the summer. And I think I still lOok cute and put together. :)

arivecchi
03-13-2012, 04:45 PM
I followed elektra's advice and got two dresses from anthro :)

http://images.anthropologie.com/is/image/Anthropologie/24181083_008_b?$redesign-appcat$ (http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/product/shopsale-dresses2/24181083.jsp)http://images.anthropologie.com/is/image/Anthropologie/24047391_041_b?$redesign-appcat$ (http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/product/shopsale-dresses2/24047391.jsp)

elektra
03-13-2012, 04:50 PM
http://www.bodenusa.com/en-US/Womens-Dresses/Below-Knee-Dresses/WH323/Womens-Favourite-Jersey-Maxi.html?NavGroupID=4

Thinking about this dress for me. :)

arivecchi
03-13-2012, 04:51 PM
I love it! Get it!

TwinFoxes
03-13-2012, 04:58 PM
http://www.bodenusa.com/en-US/Womens-Dresses/Below-Knee-Dresses/WH323/Womens-Favourite-Jersey-Maxi.html?NavGroupID=4

That would look great! Today it's 25% off all women's dresses at Boden. FS/FR.

elektra
03-13-2012, 05:01 PM
That would look great! Today it's 25% off all women's dresses at Boden. FS/FR.

Got it!

wendibird- dresses I tell ya!
I totally hear you on not always wanting to go too crazy on the accessories- I feel like a dress alone can look more "pulled together" than just a tshirt and shorts if you don't want to bother with accessories.

Twoboos
03-13-2012, 05:22 PM

WHY did I click on this?! Now I have the pewter one in two sizes in my cart. FS/FR, why not... :wink2:

elektra
03-13-2012, 05:31 PM
WHY did I click on this?! Now I have the pewter one in two sizes in my cart. FS/FR, why not... :wink2:

(I got the 8L.) I love the look of Maxi dresses but it's hard to find one that would work with a bra or that I feel might look right on me. Hoping this works!

Twoboos
03-13-2012, 05:33 PM
(I got the 8L.) I love the look of Maxi dresses but it's hard to find one that would work with a bra or that I feel might look right on me. Hoping this works!

I know, I'm wondering about the bra, too.

And with most maxi dresses I always turn out to be just the wrong height for them, they drag on the ground. I need a "short" maxi dress, LOL.

ETA: OMG, they have it in petite, this may be just what I need!!

SnuggleBuggles
03-13-2012, 05:34 PM
You tall, skinny girls get all the good dresses (heck, clothes). Maxi dresses on 5'2" and slightly curvy doesn't look all that hot, imo.

mjs64
03-13-2012, 06:58 PM
Also a non-fashionista here, but I believe the concept is three items of clothing makes a outfit. So t-shirt and jeans are not an outfit. But t-shirt, cardigan and jeans are an outfit. Iirc, jewelry does not count toward the three. Tougher to do when it is hot as layers are not necessarily comfortable then.

Catherine

Lightweight shortsleeved cardigans are something I'm always looking for in spring/summer. Easy to remove outdoors and then to put back on once inside (air conditioned offices, homes, stores, libraries, etc.).

wendibird22
03-13-2012, 08:28 PM
You tall, skinny girls get all the good dresses (heck, clothes). Maxi dresses on 5'2" and slightly curvy doesn't look all that hot, imo.

:yeahthat:

I'm 5'2" on a good self-esteem day. 5'1" most other days. I also have large breasts that never shrunk after weaning either kid. While they help to balance out my hips and butt, they also mean that I have to wear a bra. No shelf bras or bandeaus or tanks with bra linings for me. That makes summer dresses hard because I need a petite and I need wide enough straps to cover my bra.

DrSally
03-13-2012, 08:40 PM
Echoing what pp's have said--cotton woven or knit dresses, skirts with fitted t's, lightweight cardi's as compleater pieces in the AC.

I need to get some cute, but comfy metallic sandals and some longer, casual necklaces. I think they can elongate your line and make you look slimmer, esp. W/a single color dress.

I've heard maxi skirts are in again. I saw a cute, not too volumnious one in a magazine with an obi type belt. Looked so elongating and slimming. Would love to see if I could get sometng like this to work for me.

SnuggleBuggles
03-13-2012, 10:35 PM
Lightweight shortsleeved cardigans are something I'm always looking for in spring/summer. Easy to remove outdoors and then to put back on once inside (air conditioned offices, homes, stores, libraries, etc.).

I guess I just don't dig the look of a short sleeved sweater. I have a fashion bias. Plus, summer = simple. The fewest items of clothes I have to deal with, the happier I am. :)

elektra
03-13-2012, 10:51 PM
Wendibird, I also have to wear a bra with almost all the dresses I have, and even if the maxi dress doesn't work, I bet a more a-line would work well for your more hourglass shape.

Anoer thing that makes shorts and ts pulled together a bit more is a t with a more interesting shape- something with dolman sleeves, or something with a bold pattern.

anamika
03-14-2012, 03:25 PM
Wait - no one mentioned Athleta skorts? Are they out of fashion already?
If they are, don't tell me! I bought 2 last year to wear this summer. They were going to be my main fashion go-tos.

cono0507
03-14-2012, 03:51 PM
Wait - no one mentioned Athleta skorts? Are they out of fashion already?
If they are, don't tell me! I bought 2 last year to wear this summer. They were going to be my main fashion go-tos.

Hope not because they are pretty much all I wore last summer and got a couple of new ones for this summer too!!!

wendibird22
03-15-2012, 08:57 PM
I did some retail therapy today. I bought these shoes:

http://www.dsw.com/shoe/dr.+scholl%27s+shoes+women%27s+fateful+flat?prodId =226054&productRef=SEARCH (it's more of a mustard looking tan)

http://www.dsw.com/shoe/rock+.and.+candy+boatie+fin+boat+shoe?prodId=23743 1&productRef=SEARCH (only mine don't have the plaid and have an orange rib between the canvas and the white rubber. These will replace a pair of slip on Sketchers that don't look right with what I wear (would be great with yoga pants but I don't wear those).

and some tops at Target:

http://www.target.com/p/Mossimo-Supply-Co-Juniors-Peasant-Top-Assorted-Colors/-/A-13942867 (in the mustard yellow)

http://www.target.com/p/Merona-Womens-Peasant-Top-w-Chain-Detail-Assorted-Prints/-/A-13941572 (in blue)

a black short sleeve tshirt with a slight cowl neck and a red trench coat.http://www.target.com/p/Merona-Twill-Casual-Double-Breasted-Coat-Assorted-Colors/-/A-13759303 (they had it in navy with white polka dots which was tempting but red is my favorite color).

I look at scarves but the trend now is really long scarves and being so petite I'd have to wrap those suckers around myself a dozen times to not have the ends down to my knees...just way too much material for me to deal with in the warmth and humidity.

Twoboos
03-15-2012, 09:14 PM
Thanks for posting about the red trench! I am on the search for a perfect springish coat and struggling to find something I like. That one and quite a few others on there look good, I need to hit Target tomorrow!

I bought one from Boden and it's nice but so, so similar to a jean jacket I already have, I really have no business keeping it. ;)

anne-girl
03-15-2012, 09:24 PM
Re scarves, don't discount them just because it's hot out. If I feel like my summer outfits are really boring I'll sometimes throw a scarf around my waist, or twist it up and tie my hair up with it. (Yes, I'm a SAHM--not exactly runway material.)

I miss skirts for summer too--they don't work with toddlers underfoot but I don't like shorts much unless they're on the long side.

wendibird22
03-16-2012, 08:04 AM
Wanted to add that I tried taking your advice on dresses and tried on this one at Target: http://www.target.com/p/Mossimo-Supply-Co-Juniors-Kimono-Dress-Assorted-Colors/-/A-14036111#?lnk=sc_qi_detailbutton

I was thinking that with the deep v I could put different tanks underneath. I tried on the heather grey. Epic fail!! It was horrible. Not at flattering on my pear shaped body. I'll have to keep looking.

lyt202
03-16-2012, 10:15 AM
Just got these two dresses from Boden and Garnet Hill and they are super comfortable and the material is not thin or clingy. I can see wearing them alot this summer.

Now I just need to replenish my stash of lightweight cotton cardigans.

http://www.bodenusa.com/en-US/Womens-Dresses/Knee-Length-Dresses/WH317/Womens-Siena-Dress.html?NavGroupID=4

http://www.garnethill.com/starlet-knit-dress/womens-fashion/dresses/view-all-dresses/244772?listIndex=9

wendibird22
03-16-2012, 09:18 PM
I bought this shirt dress from Kohls. It looks more flattering than in the pick. With my pear shape, the rolled sleeve, collar, and belted waist balance out my hips. It's very light weight and I can wear it to work. The belt is super cheap so I'll replace it with a variety of belts I have already (like red bow, navy nautical woven, camel thin belt, etc).

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/landingpages/dressfinder/color/blue/PRD~966581/SONOMA+life+++style+RollTab+Chambray+Shirtdress.js p

DrSally
03-17-2012, 07:06 PM
Wanted to add that I tried taking your advice on dresses and tried on this one at Target: http://www.target.com/p/Mossimo-Supply-Co-Juniors-Kimono-Dress-Assorted-Colors/-/A-14036111#?lnk=sc_qi_detailbutton

I was thinking that with the deep v I could put different tanks underneath. I tried on the heather grey. Epic fail!! It was horrible. Not at flattering on my pear shaped body. I'll have to keep looking.

No, that juniors brand is hit or miss, and the dress is missing a waist defining band. Looks more like a swimsuit coverup. I like the kohl's one you got a lot!

lmintzer
03-18-2012, 12:55 PM
I just bought this from AT Loft. Petite moms--this is a great dress. In fact, it's even a bit shorter than I'm used to (and I'm 5'2"). Now, to accessorize!

http://www.loft.com/loft/product/LOFT-Petite/LOFT-Petite-Dresses/Petite-Stripe-Smocked-Waist-T-Shirt-Dress/275737?colorExplode=false&skuId=10945797&catid=catl000036&productPageType=fullPriceProducts&defaultColor=2995

It's also sold in regular (non-petite) sizes. My local store had plenty. They are, however, out of stock on the website.

elektra
03-18-2012, 07:24 PM
I just bought this from AT Loft. Petite moms--this is a great dress. In fact, it's even a bit shorter than I'm used to (and I'm 5'2"). Now, to accessorize!

http://www.loft.com/loft/product/LOFT-Petite/LOFT-Petite-Dresses/Petite-Stripe-Smocked-Waist-T-Shirt-Dress/275737?colorExplode=false&skuId=10945797&catid=catl000036&productPageType=fullPriceProducts&defaultColor=2995

It's also sold in regular (non-petite) sizes. My local store had plenty. They are, however, out of stock on the website.

Cute dress! Wish they had a long! (AT dresses always shrink so much on me and get really short. I do like the look of some of the AT stuff though.)

lmintzer
03-18-2012, 11:07 PM
Uh oh, it will SHRINK? I am in trouble, then. The petite is above the knee by a couple of inches. I was already thinking it was bordering on short. The regular was baggy and didn't look right on me.

I don't dry my clothes. Do you think it will shrink if I wash on cold and hang to dry?

arivecchi
03-18-2012, 11:41 PM
Loft dresses shrink a ton. I returned one because of it.

ett
03-19-2012, 12:52 AM
Uh oh, it will SHRINK? I am in trouble, then. The petite is above the knee by a couple of inches. I was already thinking it was bordering on short. The regular was baggy and didn't look right on me.

I don't dry my clothes. Do you think it will shrink if I wash on cold and hang to dry?

Yup, I think it will still shrink if you wash on cold. The last dress I bought from Loft shrunk even when I washed on cold and didn't put it in the dryer. Maybe the regular will shrink to fit you?