PDA

View Full Version : If you or someone you know got pregnant on the pill...

essnce629
03-12-2012, 02:21 PM
If you or someone you know got pregnant while on the pill, did you/they have a boy or a girl?

ETA: You can select multiple choices.

elektra
03-12-2012, 02:23 PM
one had a Boy and one had a girl.

essnce629
03-12-2012, 02:26 PM
I've read before that a woman is more likely to have a girl if she gets pregnant while on the pill. The reasoning is because girl sperm are more hardy and are more likely to survive the non-ideal conditions caused by being on the pill (thinner uterine lining, dry/sticky cm, etc).

I know two women that have gotten pregnant while on the pill and both had girls.

lizzywednesday
03-12-2012, 02:32 PM
I'll tell you when my sister finds out the sex of her DC-on-the-way.

(But on a similar topic, my BFF got pregnant while on Depo & she had a DD ...)

american_mama
03-12-2012, 03:01 PM
Really interesting question. Maybe you should include got pregnant on anything other than barrier methods, sterilization, Essure, or NFP. So, that would be pregnant on pill, depo, patch, nuvaring, IUD (either kind), maybe the implant thing...? Don't all those methods either thin the uterine lining, change cervical fluid, or both?

larig
03-12-2012, 03:06 PM
my friend had a girl

BabyBearsMom
03-12-2012, 03:08 PM
my SIL had a girl and got pg on the minipill. The reasoning you note makes a lot of sense. Also, aren't male fetuses more delicate all around and not just the Y sperm?

AnnieW625
03-12-2012, 03:09 PM
The one I know had a boy.

essnce629
03-12-2012, 03:13 PM
Also, aren't male fetuses more delicate all around and not just the Y sperm?

Yes this is true. More male fetuses are conceived each year than girls, but more boys are lost during pregnancy than girls so the end result of live babies is equal. But I always thought boys were more fragile because of the more fragile Y chromosome.

essnce629
03-12-2012, 03:17 PM
Really interesting question. Maybe you should include got pregnant on anything other than barrier methods, sterilization, Essure, or NFP. So, that would be pregnant on pill, depo, patch, nuvaring, IUD (either kind), maybe the implant thing...? Don't all those methods either thin the uterine lining, change cervical fluid, or both?

Yes I guess they would all be similar then. I think if pill/patch/nuvaring being pretty much the same since they are all estrogen/progesterone combos, just delivered differently. Mini pill, Depo, and Mirena IUD are progesterone only so are similar too.

ast96
03-12-2012, 03:39 PM
My second boy was conceived on the mini pill.

mom3boys
03-12-2012, 05:20 PM
I voted girl and boy as I have 1 friend who conceived a girl on "full-strength" BC pill (estrogen+progesterone), and a friend who conceived a boy on the minipill.

FWIW I have always wondered if more boys are conceived with women using ovulation kits, since they tend to indicate that you are within 24 hours of ovulation (and should have sex within that time) and boys are more often conceived closer to actual ovulation and girls more often a couple of days before ovulation (because of the heartier, but slower X sperm that leads to girls).

sariana
03-12-2012, 06:02 PM
Could the artificial hormones in the Pill have anything to do with a prevalence of girls?

flashy09
03-12-2012, 06:02 PM
Only person I know I had one of each. Two pill failures probably due to her weight.

ourbabygirl
03-12-2012, 08:47 PM
Interesting question!

I didn't vote, because I only know of one possible birth control oops baby- my SIL's third was a surprise, and a girl. :) I know she was not planned, so I'm assuming SIL was on some sort of birth control (probably more than just condoms, that is), and when they delivered my niece by C/S, SIL had her tubes tied at the same time. Stupid question, but is it ever still possible to get pregnant with your tubes tied?

plusbellelavie
03-12-2012, 08:53 PM
One boy and the other a girl....both were "huge" surprises to both couples!

mom3boys
03-12-2012, 09:09 PM
Stupid question, but is it ever still possible to get pregnant with your tubes tied?

I actually heard it's more likely to get pregnant if you get them tied during a CS.

I did see an episode of "I Didn't know I was Pregnant" where a 46 yo woman had a baby after having had her tubes tied years before--so I guess it's possible!

ha98ed14
03-12-2012, 09:42 PM

I didn't know you could get prego with an IUD in! (Ignorant much?) I thought that's why they are a sure thing. So does the thing just stay in there WITH the baby for the 9 months if the pregnancy is not terminated? I would think a baby with an IUD in there with it would be really malformed...

Jacksmommy2b
03-12-2012, 10:09 PM
My DH is a pill baby. :)

His mom didn't realize an ABX would nullify her pill.

american_mama
03-12-2012, 11:09 PM
>> I didn't know you could get prego with an IUD in!... So does the thing just stay in there WITH the baby for the 9 months if the pregnancy is not terminated?>>

I assume IUD failure rates are due 1) the IUD has fallen out but the woman is not aware of it (that does happen, say during the menstrual period or a bowel movement) or 2) yes, a woman gets pregnant even with the IUD in. My midwife said past practice was to leave the IUD in, current practice is to remove it, although I'm not sure if that was just her take on it or if that really is the new standard advice. If you have the IUD removed and you are pregnant, there is a significant risk of miscarriage, but if you leave it in, there is another significant risk (either premature birth or fetal/pacenta defects, I don't recall which.)

Here is a detailed article, apparently for clinicians, about the various risks and treatments of an IUD pregnancy. Use the Topic Outline on the left to scroll to "Pregnancy:" http://www.uptodate.com/contents/management-of-problems-related-to-intrauterine-contraception?source=search_result&selectedTitle=24~150

The one IUD baby story I know was from a woman whose mom had TWICE had a baby with an IUD. And I do know someone who had an IUD baby after the IUD fell out but she didn't realize.

american_mama
03-12-2012, 11:19 PM
Stupid question, but is it ever still possible to get pregnant with your tubes tied?

Yes, although I am not an expert. All birth control, even sterilization, has a failure rate. The tubes can grow back together, or may have not been completely blocked. And you only need one egg to get through one tube at the right time.

Here's a little bit of detail that I didn't know, including an obvious explanation why ectopic pregnancies are more common (smaller sperm fits through a tiny opening in the tube but the bigger fertilized egg gets stuck):
http://www.ivillage.com/how-did-i-become-pregnant-after-tubal-ligation/4-n-139201

ast96
03-13-2012, 12:00 AM
At this very moment, I have a friend who is pregnant after a tubal ligation (with a girl) and a friend who - get this - is pregnant after she had Essure done and her husband had a vasectomy! They (the husband and wife) are both their docors' respective first failures ever. It is a crazy story.

dhano923
03-13-2012, 12:23 AM
I got pg on the pill and had a girl.

essnce629
03-13-2012, 12:35 AM
At this very moment, I have a friend who is pregnant after a tubal ligation (with a girl) and a friend who - get this - is pregnant after she had Essure done and her husband had a vasectomy! They (the husband and wife) are both their docors' respective first failures ever. It is a crazy story.

WOW, that is REALLY crazy!!!!

lalasmama
03-13-2012, 12:46 AM
I conceived while on the pill, however, I have no idea what the gender of the child was, as I lost the baby in the first trimester.

Tondi G
03-13-2012, 12:50 AM

I know someone who had the Essure done and it didn't work. She didn't get preggo but they went to check and her tubes were still clear. There are different types of Vasectomy's too right ... my hubby says when he gets his done he wants the one where they actually remove a section of the tubing so there is much less chance of things "reconnecting".

kijip
03-13-2012, 01:16 AM
T is an Ortho Tri Cyclen baby (and a boy.)

ast96
03-13-2012, 08:05 AM
I know someone who had the Essure done and it didn't work. She didn't get preggo but they went to check and her tubes were still clear. There are different types of Vasectomy's too right ... my hubby says when he gets his done he wants the one where they actually remove a section of the tubing so there is much less chance of things "reconnecting".

This friend's husband is a pediatric hospitalist, so they have the best doctors in town. At her recent eight week appt, her high-risk OB. Hecked her tubes and the coils, and the coils were perfectly placed and her tubes "blocked." her husband had followed up to make sure his vas took, but he had a late failure apparently. They beat every single odd. They will have five kids ages seven and under come this fall if this pregnancy sticks!