PDA

View Full Version : where to buy cheap-ish priced awesome furniture?

dec756
03-12-2012, 06:59 PM
title says it all!

maestramommy
03-12-2012, 07:18 PM
All of our furniture is used, purchased at our local consignment gallery. We're fond of the Queen Anne style, and there appears to be no shortage of this stuff being put up for sale. It's been a fun couple of years, waiting for the right pieces. We got two armchairs there. In the future we'll be looking at end tables.

Course, Dh just found a coffee table at the dump store for $40. It was a little scuffed, but a little Old English took care of that. And we heard it was a good brand in the 70s too. Feels pretty solid.

queenmama
03-12-2012, 07:54 PM
I concur with the previous poster. I'm all about flea markets and thrift stores... not just because I love "vintage" style (from the 1920s-70s, I'm not picky! I love to mix it up!), but also because I couldn't afford new the quality of the stuff I buy thrifted/used.

Sent from my Android phone using Tapatalk

elbenn
03-12-2012, 07:56 PM
Used is definitely the best way to save money and get better quality furniture. For new, Ikea is a good option.

brittone2
03-12-2012, 07:56 PM
I look for higher end brands on CL. I have a Hancock and Moore leather sofa from CL. At this stage in my life I prefer a better quality used brand vs. disposable or semi disposable furniture. For us it works out the best...I don't have to be devastated if the item gets some wear and tear from the kids because I didn't pay full price. But I get better quality pieces for the price of the inexpensive furniture brands. eta: I do like flea market stuff for certain pieces, and consignment shops, etc. too.

citymama
03-12-2012, 08:00 PM
Used/consignment stores
Scandinavian Designs
IKEA
overstock.com
Cost Plus World Market

bigsis
03-12-2012, 08:12 PM
Do you have an Easy Life Furniture store around you? Those places have really reasonable prices. Read: cheap :bag

SnuggleBuggles
03-12-2012, 08:40 PM
IKEA and Costco. The Costco stuff is only kind if cheap but I've been really happy with things we bought there.

Pyrodjm
03-12-2012, 08:47 PM
Overstock.com
I've gotten two great beds cheap.

AnnieW625
03-12-2012, 08:53 PM
.......At this stage in my life I prefer a better quality used brand vs. disposable or semi disposable furniture.

:yeahthat: If I have to buy new I want quality so I am willing to spend a little bit more money if I can't find something that is solid wood on Craigslist or an antique store. Our china cabinet is the one exception, but we had a really hard time finding one that fit our small dining room and the one at Ikea fit the bill. I have never been to a flea market to look for furniture. After being highly disappointed with DD1's bedroom furniture from a baby store I will definitely be looking on Craigslist or at local antique stores for DD1's replacement bed, and DD2's bed. Our couch was bought before we had kids and we bought it new from a local furniture store. It was $1100 and is a sleeper sofa so we paid a bit more for the sleeper sofa option because we have a small home.

We bought our computer armoire off of Craigslist, our tv cabinet is from Scandanavian Designs (however they only have stores in the Bay Area, and Sacramento areas of CA; and are Plummers in Southern California, and Dania in the rest of the west coast, and the mid west), our china cabinet from Ikea, and our bed frame from a local furniture store. Our dining room set is a hand me down from the 1940s from a family friend. Our kitchen cart was from World Market.

crl
03-12-2012, 08:55 PM
In addition to the previous suggestions we had great luck at a local unfinished wood furniture store (that has sadly since gone out of business because the owners had a baby and decided to close up shop to free up the mom to stay at home).

Catherine

HannaAddict
03-12-2012, 08:57 PM
Ikea and West Elm. Ikea for super cheap. West Elm isn't el cheapo, but it is very nice look for the price and much less expensive than "real" designer furniture. They just opened a store in our city and fun place to browse, they have sales too and discount coupons at times.

Seitvonzu
03-12-2012, 08:58 PM
we are big IKEA fans. it's not top top brand, but you can find quality things that hold up. my favorite thing in my whole house is my china cabinet/hutch from IKEA. people always comment on it. i lovelove it :)

my mother has also picked up random things here and there from junk/antique stores and gifted us with them. we have some really eclectic things from her doing that. nothing is matchy matchy at our house, but i'm not embarassed about it either.

Ladybug47
03-12-2012, 09:12 PM
Cost Plus World Market. Bookshelves, dining room tables and chairs -- lots of good stuff.