PDA

View Full Version : PSA: don't buy boots from 6pm.com if you think you will have to return them

AnnieW625
03-13-2012, 06:58 PM
I bought some of the Frye boots from the 6 pm sale a few weeks ago and knew I'd possibly have to return them. I figured the cost to return them would be about $20, but it turns out it was $42! through UPS. I was short on time so I didn't try the post office or Fed Ex. So beware that there is no cheap way to return them. It was fun to try the boots, but from now on I think I'll be staying with either Endless, Piperlime, or Zappos.

baymom
03-13-2012, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the PSA! I'm always tempted to buy boots there because of the sales! $42....ouch!

ett
03-13-2012, 07:08 PM
Wow! How big was the box? $42 seems way too much even for a large/heavy box.

AnnieW625
03-13-2012, 07:13 PM
Wow! How big was the box? $42 seems way too much even for a large/heavy box.

It was big! In retrospect I probably could have wrapped it in brown paper and sent it in just the Frye box and not the outer box but I really wanted to send them back ASAP and I didn't know it was going to be that much.

TwinFoxes
03-13-2012, 07:22 PM
Ouch. Thanks for the PSA, sorry you had to pay that though. :(

DrSally
03-13-2012, 08:28 PM
Yep, 6 pm returns are expensive, but I have found the post office to be cheaper. Usually shoesnend up being about $6-$7 , but almost double that for UPS.

Melaine
03-13-2012, 08:34 PM
Good grief!!! That's crazy.

AngelaS
03-14-2012, 07:59 AM
Anything over three pounds it's cheaper to ship fed ex if it won't go in a flat rate box. $42 is insane!

hellokitty
03-14-2012, 08:33 AM
Ouch, that's a hard lesson. That is one reason why I am usually still weird about ordering clothes or shoes online, unless the site offers free returns.

arivecchi
03-14-2012, 10:18 AM
That is insane. I have shipped huge stroller boxes for less. Where did you ship the box from?

mypa
03-14-2012, 12:05 PM
My local UPS store is crazy expensive like that, too. I think they do an upcharge for bringing things into the store vs. printing a shipping label at home and dropping off. I found FedEx/Kinko to be much cheaper, but still pricey and prices have been going up.

Sorry that happened to you, shopping is supposed to be fun and I'm sure that put a sour note on it. Thanks for the warning to help the rest of us.

Globetrotter
03-14-2012, 01:01 PM
This reminds me of the time I sold a pirate costume on Ebay and ended up eating the ridiculous shipping costs for the oversized sword or some such thing. Sorry, it sucks :(

AnnieW625
03-14-2012, 07:57 PM
That is insane. I have shipped huge stroller boxes for less. Where did you ship the box from?

I shipped the box from smack dab in the middle of Orange County and it had to go to Memphis, TN.

Lesson has been learned! Go to Fedex next time or the post office! Oh well. Or even go to the local UPS Center which is at the local airport 3 miles from my house. Oh well if the boots had fit they would have been $130 and were originally over $300 I think so I know for sure I wouldn't have ever tried them, and I could have spent $40 on gas driving up to LA to try them on as there aren't many Frye bootsellers in my 'hood of SW LA County or Orange County.

nupe
03-14-2012, 10:14 PM
Ouch!! I returned a pair from that sale and another pair from the week before, both in the same box, fairly close fitting outer box, for $15, via ups. I'm in the Midwest, so not too far from the return center. Sorry yours was so high!!

Ladybug47
03-14-2012, 10:21 PM
I got all amped up about the Simple shoes sale at 6pm the other month and ordered six pairs, thinking I'd keep them all. Of course, once they arrived I realized I didn't need or want that many pairs, so I ended up returning all but one pair, and my $12 bargain shoes turned into a $22 almost-full-price pair. Yuck. I feel your pain.

mjmamma
03-16-2012, 11:24 PM
I had to return a pair from the $29 leap day sale. It did cost me $10 but I generally save so much on 6pm... and it's the first time I've had to return anything . Shopping there is worth it to me since, overall, I come out on top. Good to know that FE may be a better option than UPS..yikes!

sweetsue98
03-16-2012, 11:26 PM
I just did the same thing..... what a waste of money