PDA

View Full Version : 2012 vs 2013...? WWYD?

fivi2
03-14-2012, 08:45 AM
We had planned to go back to wdw in 2013 (hoping fantasyland would be done) . We were going to visit my dad this summer. Dad appears to be flaking out, then we got a (not great) pin, and dh is suggesting wdw this year. It would be late August, but if we go next year it will be the same time.

My girls.are 6.5 this year. I still think we should wait until 2013 and hope fantasyland is done. Dh thinks if we wait until they are 7.5, they won't "believe " as much and it wont be as much fun...

So would you go this year or next?

(If my dad backs out of us visiting, I would probably vote for Colorado, dh will vote for the beach - destin area - so those are the other options.)

khalloc
03-14-2012, 11:27 AM
We were going to wait for WDW too, until the kids were about 8 & 6. But then DH decided we should go because he heard from his friend that girl outgrow the princess phase way before 8. So we went last year in 2011 when the kids were 5 and almost 3.

They both loved it. I am sure my youngest wont remember it that much in another year or 2, but he still remembers the castle and they both had a great time and loved meeting the princesses and other characters.

fivi2
03-14-2012, 11:42 AM
I should add that we went to wdw at ages (almost) 3 and 4.5. And to disneyland last summer at 5.5 :bag. So they aren't missing out on Disney! I just want to take a break until fantasyland is done and dh thinks we should go now while they still love it...

Thanks for your thoughts (enabler :))!

egoldber
03-14-2012, 11:44 AM
Well, we are waiting until Fantasyland is done before we go back.

fivi2
03-14-2012, 12:06 PM
Well, we are waiting until Fantasyland is done before we go back.

And you go all the time! ;) I will have to tell dh I am not crazy! The biggest wdw fan I "know " is waiting... lol.

I guess my only hesitation is that I want to eat in the castle before they are over the princesses, but that probably isn't worth an extra trip!

KrisM
03-14-2012, 12:11 PM
My BIL and family went in 2010 and 2011. My neice was 8.5 and 9.5 and loved the princess stuff both times.

hellokitty
03-14-2012, 01:17 PM
I would wait. Doesn't the fantasyland renovation finish in autumn? Would you want to go in nov or dec? I am still hopeful that there will be another round of discounts for nov/dec and the weather is sooo much nicer than when it's sweltering hot. I'd like to do WDW again next yr or the yr after. I'm hoping DS3 will be tall enough next time to ride the bigger rides, since I have a feeling in a few yrs, my older boys won't be that interested in WDW anymore.

fivi2
03-14-2012, 01:24 PM
I would love to go in fall or winter, but Texas is pretty draconian when it comes to school attendance!

I will probably wait and see if my dad uninvites us to his house and plan from there.... I was just wondering if people were holding off until fantasyland was done.

klwa
03-14-2012, 01:51 PM
I'd wait. :) Current best guesses are that everything except the mine train will be open next summer. And this summer you'd just miss by a few months the new Belle & Ariel area.

And we're holding off until probably 2014. :( *sniff* But that's the way the everything is working out. I was thinking about sneaking in in 2013, but with the little one on the way, I don't think that'll happen....

cono0507
03-14-2012, 02:34 PM
We went when the kids were 6 and 3.5. My 6yo had a great time and it was magical for him but my 3.5 was afraid of a lot of the dark rides, darkened rooms at shows, etc. I'm thinking about planning a trip the first week of January 2013 when they will be 7.5 and 5.5. I think that for us that will be the sweet spot where both will find it magical still and both will be tall enough to ride just about everything (DD might be a little shy of the 48"needed for the big roller coasters but I"m not sure she'd like them anyway at this point).

School makes it so difficult. I really don't want to pull them out of school and we don't want to go in summer. So that leaves Thanksgiving week, winter break, and spring break so it looks like Jan 1-8 will be our best bet as far as crowds go. I wish it wasn't so hard to make this happen but hoping we can work it out.

crl
03-14-2012, 06:27 PM
My 7.5 year old had a fabulous time at WDW. I think it was the perfect age for him. He was still into Disney, but confident enough to really enjoy the character interaction, big enough to go on all the rides and old enough to last all day at the parks.

Catherine

123LuckyMom
03-14-2012, 07:43 PM
I STILL love the princesses, and I am 41! I think you'll be okay if you wait.

AnnieW625
03-15-2012, 02:12 PM
We are waiting until 2013 mainly because I want to be able to pay cash for the trip and to do that in November will be a stretch. If we go during a less crowded time (late Jan. to early Feb.) DD1 will be 6 yrs. 10 mos., and DD2 will be 2 yrs., 8 mos.. I really want to go before DD2 is 3 so she is free and if she can't ride on all of the rides or diesn't want to I don't feel like I have wasted $500 to $800 on park tickets for her. The hope of at least free quick service dining is also hope of waiting until that time to go because it is a slower time period.

Waiting until 2013 also allows DH to acquire more points with Jet Blue which actually flies direct from our hometown to Orlando so enough points for a roundtrip would save us around $250-400 and a one way would save us $125 to $200, but any help is good.

eta: I am almost 35, and I still believe. DH is 37 and can be a stick in the mud loves DL too, and was 24 the first time he went to Disneyland!

khalloc
03-15-2012, 02:58 PM
If you've already been to WDW and Disney Land, I think its safe to wait until Fantasy Land is done.