PDA

View Full Version : Summer maternity wear--how much do I need?

anne-girl
03-15-2012, 09:10 PM
This is my second pregnancy, but my first going through summer (due in September). Last time I was working so I had piles of mat wear because a) I was freezing and needed winter layers, b) I needed to look pulled together, and c) I didn't do laundry that often.

This time I'm at home chasing a toddler so I'm not sure how much I need to get. I have lots of consignment shops in the area, so I've picked over a couple of them, but time to shop sans toddler is not likely any time soon.

So far I have:

- 2 prs light slacks (one light khaki, one super-light cotton that rolls into capris)
- 1 pr capris
- 1 pr shorts
- 2 short-sleeved blouses
- 4 t-shirts

What else do you consider a must-have? Also, would you recommend full panel pants/shorts/skirts for summer? They were all I found comfortable last time (hated fabric brushing my tummy) but I'm wondering if the heat will get to me. I do have A/C but plan to be outdoors with DS quite often.

SnuggleBuggles
03-15-2012, 09:22 PM
I had probably 2 capri pants, 2 shorts, I was able to use ON fold over skirts and I think I had other official maternity skirts, 2 summer dresses, and a pile of ON ribbed maternity tank tops. I did fine.

luli13
03-15-2012, 09:46 PM
I am 39 weeks pregnant right now and it has been in the 60's and 70's here for the past week. I have been wearing ON foldover waist skirts and Gap maternity shirts... with flip flops and Toms shoes. It has been fabulous weather with comfortable clothes, I must say. I think if I would be pregnant through the summer I would have lots of foldover waist skirts, Maxi dresses and maternity dresses (you could wear some Gap maternity legging capris underneath). I also suggest the Liz Lange cotton tanks at Target- in every color! Loved these this winter as a layering basic and to sleep in at night: http://www.target.com/p/Liz-Lange-for-Target-Maternity-Long-Lean-Basic-Tank-Assorted-Colors/-/A-13742304

I also saw these:

http://www.target.com/p/Liz-Lange-for-Target-Maternity-Maxi-Skirt-Black-Fresh-White/-/A-13943428

http://www.target.com/p/Liz-Lange-for-Target-Maternity-Sleeveless-Maxi-Dress-Black-Camel-Cream/-/A-13933261

I live in dresses in the summer so this would be my preference but I can understand if you prefer shorts or capris... just saw them during my search and they caught my eye :).

mikala
03-15-2012, 09:56 PM
I don't remember exact quantities of anything but remember living in casual cotton dresses or fold-over type skirts and tank tops. The full panel didn't bug me in the heat because it didn't feel much different than just a layering tank or similar.

abh5e8
03-15-2012, 10:00 PM
i have 2 early oct bdays...and i lived in fold over skirts from gap and old navy, ON maternity tanks snd thin tees (some regular, some maternity). for shoes, toms or flip flops or my keen mary janes. i also was not a fan of laundry...so had about 5 or 6 skirts and a dozen tanks and tees.

plus a couple of dresses for church. simple and (relatively) inexpensive. i loved the SAHM maternity summer :)

TxCat
03-15-2012, 10:55 PM
DD was an October baby and for that summer I had two pairs of capris from Gap Maternity (1 white jean, 1 black), 1 stretchy brown silk chiffon skirt that could be dressed up or down, 1 pair of shorts, and then about 4 or 5 tank tops (Gap Maternity, ON Maternity, Banana Republic) and I would layer button up tops that I had over them, usually unbuttoned. I think I had one dress from BR that had a stretchy elastic waist that I wore regularly as well.

anne-girl
03-16-2012, 10:12 AM
Those of you who wore shorter skirts--were you at home w kids? I haven't worn skirts at all and I'm wondering if now is the time to start. I like the idea of the fold-down gauchos from ON, but I'm not sure how they'll fit.

I should have mentioned I'm in Canada (rant coming!). *sigh* I can order from ON in the States, but if it doesn't fit I'm stuck. Darned online-only styles! There is an ON Maternity near me, but it doesn't have anything I want right now (I think--I can't figure out how to get their mat ads!) For Target, I don't think they even ship here. I will be making a trip to the US in early summer but I think I'll want everything I need by then.

I'm debating a maxi dress or skirt--I also have a short lbd from Target maternity (I raided the Watertown Target twice when pg last time) but if I'm going to wear a dress or skirt at all, I think it'd be a maxi. Are those really just for dressing up, or just whenever you don't want something snug on your legs?

BabyBearsMom
03-16-2012, 10:17 AM
For me, if I were preggo in the summer, I would need a little more. TMI, but at 35 weeks and the temperatures in the 70s, I am so sweaty and gross everyday. I literally come home from work, rinse off in the shower and put on a new outfit, do the evening thing, rinse off and put on my pjs, so I am going through 2 outfits and a pair of pajamas a day.

anne-girl
03-16-2012, 10:27 AM
I was thinking about the sweat factor--I mean, if I'm baking under 35 degrees C plus humidity (comes out to 95) at the splash pad, I can't see myself staying in those sweaty clothes all day.

Hmmm. Maybe I'll convince DH to take vacation (and Target run!) in May before the real heat hits.

legaleagle
03-18-2012, 01:46 PM
I get massive chub rub when pregnant (since apparently my thighs are actually pregnant too!) so skirts & dresses really don't work for me except for work clothes where I'm sitting in a/c all day. I love the ON gauchos and wore them a ton post partum too. Good for not flashing people while dealing with a toddler too.

WatchingThemGrow
03-18-2012, 02:07 PM
I was more comfy in dresses the 2nd and 3rd time around, esp. in summer. 3-4 of those made life much easier.

anne-girl
03-22-2012, 11:27 AM
Hmm. DH isn't going to like me telling him I "need" to go shopping for mat clothes again, esp since I have yet to see maxi dresses at the consignment shops. However, I've been testing my wardrobe during our heat wave, and yeah, I will need to change clothes after coming in from outside. *sigh*