PDA

View Full Version : Cowl neck dress question

infomama
03-18-2012, 10:48 PM
Can I wear my black LE cowl neck dress on Easter? If so should I belt it (would have to buy one so link away)?
What shoes?
I have yet to wear it but I'm afraid you all are going to say no (sad face)

kozachka
03-19-2012, 12:45 AM
I would wear a belt with this dress, but it depends on your body type. I happen to have a small waist so like to show it off. As to whether it's an appropriate outfit for Easter, it depends on where you are and a bunch of other factors. Personally, I would not hesitate to wear a dress that I like.

infomama
03-19-2012, 01:03 AM
Easter is just church and family's home for dinner. Which shoes? Belt?
I'm such a fashion noob...I could really screw this up without some direction.

What about this belt? http://www.whitehouseblackmarket.com/store/browse/product.jsp?maxRec=261&pageId=1&productId=570040274&viewAll=true&prd=VachettaBlack+Belt&subCatId=&color=&fromSearch=true&inSeam=&posId=106&catId=cat4809277&cat=&onSale=true&colorFamily=&maxPg=2&size=

tarnator
03-19-2012, 01:23 AM
I don't know how formal your church is....but I think that the dress could work with the right accessories.

I tried a belt that I already owned with the cowl neck dress and it didn't work. It was too tight and made the dress kinda 'bunchy' around it. So I would say that you probably have to try a few different kinds of belts.

infomama
03-19-2012, 01:42 AM
I don't know how formal your church is....but I think that the dress could work with the right accessories.

I tried a belt that I already owned with the cowl neck dress and it didn't work. It was too tight and made the dress kinda 'bunchy' around it. So I would say that you probably have to try a few different kinds of belts.
Church is pretty laid back..I think this dress will be fine. I am afraid of the bunching, too. I can't imagine how belting it will work. I think I am going to look for some shoes and call it a day. I know I'll be super comfy!

kozachka
03-19-2012, 01:43 AM
What about this belt? http://www.whitehouseblackmarket.com/store/browse/product.jsp?maxRec=261&pageId=1&productId=570040274&viewAll=true&prd=VachettaBlack+Belt&subCatId=&color=&fromSearch=true&inSeam=&posId=106&catId=cat4809277&cat=&onSale=true&colorFamily=&maxPg=2&size=

I don't like this belt. Sorry. What color is your dress? I've had good luck with using my belt to add a pop of color, e.g. yellow belt with a brown skirt or dark red/burgundy one with a black skirt. Not sure about your budget, but I've had good luck with Linea Pelle belts, I've got mine from Overstock.com but I've also seen them at T.J. Maxx for much less than retail.

infomama
03-19-2012, 01:44 AM
I don't like this belt. Sorry. What color is your dress? I've had good luck with using my belt to add a pop of color, e.g. yellow belt with a brown skirt or dark red/burgundy one with a black skirt. Not sure about your budget, but I've had good luck with Linea Pelle belts, I've got mine from Overstock.com but I've also seen them at T.J. Maxx for much less than retail.
No worries. The dress is black. I am afraid a belt will bunch it up and make it look strange. I'm going to divert and focus on shoes. Thanks!!

TwinFoxes
03-19-2012, 03:52 AM
I've worn mine with a skinny belt. No bunching. I don't think the belt you linked to would work.

ETA: forgot the original Q! I wouldn't wear that dress on Easter because I would want to wear something more spring like. Easter is about renewal, and a heavier black cowl neck dress isn't what I'd choose. That said, I don't think it will raise eyebrows at all. I have the exact same dress BTW.

SnuggleBuggles
03-19-2012, 09:59 AM
I would wear it with a cardigan instead of a belt. I don't like myself in belts though so I am biased. I have tried my cowl dress with a belt I picked up at H&M and I just didn't like it (my waist is bigger than I want it to be so I feel like it draws attention).

In the store, H&M have more choices but here are some possible cardigans from there:
http://www.hm.com/us/product/99207?article=99207-B
http://www.hm.com/us/product/99207?article=99207-D
I wore my green cowl with a black belted cardigan from H&M the other day and liked the look. I have also worn it with non belted cardigans too. I think that a cardigan could be nice because you could add a fun, springy, pop of color.

crl
03-19-2012, 10:59 AM
I have the green one and have worn it with a belt from LE Canvas, not on their webste anymore so I can't link. It was the one that looks like two skinny belts stacked. I wear it just a bit below my natural waist.

I don't know about black for spring. I think I'd wear a springy cardigan on top if possible.

Catherine

DrSally
03-19-2012, 05:21 PM
If you're church is fairly casual, then I think the dress would be totally fine. I thi k people may be in more springy colors, but maybe a brighter cardi would help. If yu do do a belt, i think they look better a little lower, hip slung, on those looser dresses.